What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
which one of the Schwalbe is the best all rounder.
Most tire manufacturers make fine tires its just about choosing the correct one for the job. For beginner to intermediate riders that are riding singletrack mountain bike trails I'd recommend an aggressive front tire and a higher griip than needed rear tire.

Schwalbe: Magic Mary (F) / Hans Damf (r)
alternative rear: eddie current (although I've not used it yet)

WTB: Vigilate (f) / Judge (r)
Maxis: assegai (f) / DHR (r)

Schwalbe is my preference but my ebike currently has some maxxis on it as thats what it came with for the most part the big brands are fine as long as you pick the right tire / casing. Casing is what will prevent punctures and at higher body weights 90+kg you probably want to be buying the beefier casings.
Casing:
Schwalbe: Super-gravity / Downhill
Maxis: Double down.

None of this will mean jack shit if you are running incorrect tire pressures. At 95kgs, I recommend my friend runs 23 (f) / 25 (r) psi. Add 1 psi for rocky stuff. -1 for mud / soft terrain. (This assumes 29" 2.6 tires, smaller tires will need +1 psi depending on how much smaller).

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Exo+ arent very durable if youre in rocky terrain. Not a bad tire combo. You might just need a dd casing verion. I like dh casing then i can vary the psi for the terrain im on. 30psi in the bike park and mid 20's if im on rock slaps pr wet roots(75kg).
If you want to try something new in 2.6 you might want to try schwalbe mm/big betty in super gravity casing. Id run either f/r. A bit heavy but its mt biking and they corner and tons of traction. BB rolls quite well for such a tire. Havent tried eddy currents but i dont like the looks of the tread pattern.
Another 2.6 combo i have but have yet to put on are the specialized butcher/eliminator in the grid/gravity casing. Tics all the boxes, good price, tread pattern, weight, rubber combo. Without mounting mine yet it looks like theyve put a dialed combo together

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I just bought 2 Specialized tires in 29x2.6. One is the GroundControl Grid
the other is the old version of the Purgatory Grid. On the packaging both say
measured at 40PSI approx 2.45 in on 25 rim---2.50 in on 30mm rim--- 2.55 on 35mm internal.
In Canada we can find a few 2.6 and some 2.5 but empty shelves are a real thing.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
1.5 bar is probably too low for you on the front particularly if its an ebike. Is that the tire with the tear/wear marks? 2 bar on the back should be plently. 1.6-1.7 on the front for your weight probably.

Sorry this above post is directed at a weight of 95kg. Your tire pressure without your weight is essentially useless. Probably best to include tire size too as a gravel bike will have higher tire pressures compared to an mtb.

Tx @MT, I am 78kg/182cm

I have Maxxis 29x2.6 front, running at 1.5-bar
and Hans Dampf 27.5x2.8 rear at 2.0-bar

Maxxis 27.5x2.6 in the rear had better grip on loose gravel and in the mud. I was riding with low pressure in the rear and I ripped the sidewall.

I must say I like Hans in the rear with less grip, as I can do controlled slides, but Maxxis in 2.6 were more effective in climbing up-hill on the loose surface, or wading through mud.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
measured at 40PSI approx 2.45 in on 25 rim---2.50 in on 30mm rim--- 2.55 on 35mm internal.
In Canada we can find a few 2.6 and some 2.5 but empty shelves are a real thing.
True that. Smashed a derailler off at the bike park. My preferred lbs has no 12s shimano der's. They said may '22. Other store had one that i snapped up and ordered a deore 12sp off ebay just to have

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Tx @MT, I am 78kg/182cm

Maxxis 27.5x2.6 in the rear had better grip on loose gravel and in the mud. I was riding with low pressure in the rear and I ripped the sidewall.

I must say I like Hans in the rear with less grip, as I can do controlled slides, but Maxxis in 2.6 were more effective in climbing up-hill on the loose surface, or wading through mud.
Casing and tread pattern , rubber compound make a huge difference. You didnt say which casing, compound or which maxxis tread/model. Hard to base any decision on that

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Tx @MT, I am 78kg/182cm

2 bar for your rear tire at your weight is mental even for XC. Way too hard IMO. But do what works for you. You could probably drop that down to 1.5-1.6 and have no detrimental effects while getting more grip. Front pressure is good.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anything under 30psi is too foldy/squirmy up front for a 2.5 EXO casing for me. at 32psi sidewalls don't rip even blatting through rocks.
38psi is the lowest I can run a rear EXO. but I generally run 40+
My weight yoyos between 85-95kg and I'm a fairly quick/advanced rider for an old guy on low grip rubber

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Cheers mate. I want something that's not going to drag like a bastard as well, what is your opinion on the "eddy current .Will it matter to mix brands.

Avoid at all costs ?…..hey if your wanting to plough through loose wet mud and shite then this tyre will kick ass, it’s the magic mary big bro pretty much but rolling is terrible, I know someone who would sell me a pair of these for £40 and I haven’t….tempted to do just for an experiment though!

Magic Mary / Big Betty work well for dirt/mud etc, you can go ultra soft but the sweet spot is the orange Supertrail version, if your hitting dh tech with rocks then ultra (purple) would be a way to go. Nobby Nic offers decent rolling which is why I went for that. If you need a big Betty purple I’ve some spare I can do a decent price on. Nobby nics are hard to get atm also I found. 2.6 on the front is the best one with 2.4 on the back but impossible to find 2.6 MM atm. You could actually stick a Big Betty 2.6 upfront with a MM on the rear, I’ve read people trying that and some videos on YouTube too say it works surprisingly well…..

I’m tempted to stick an ultra soft on the back as it might allow you to actually brake on a wet rock without it sliding under you as I found my Nobby Nic doing to me recently resulting in an odd, but more shit riding really, shouldn’t have been braking really ?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Big betty is a great tire. Ive found it needs a little more lean in the corners but now that im used to it and its faultless. Just a touch more lean than the mich dh 34 i was used to. Super dh rear and super gravity front in soft for rocky dh terrain with long vertical. Both are soft. They do wear a bit fast and they are heavy. Roll pretty good for that type of tire. Amazing braking and very supportive side knobs. If it wasnt so rocky i bet i could get away with a super trail front and super gravity rear with my current tannus armour. I even had them just under 30psi yesterday in the park and no squirm. Ditching the 1180g wild rockr2 on the front of my enduro bike for the full dh casing dh 34 now, again with tannuas tubeless liners. Enduro bike sees park use too and theres no substitute for dh casing tires at the bp. Major difference. I need another set of wheels to have built up lighter with rotors and cassette for a quick swap for longer backcountry rides on the enduro. Emtb is always going to have coil and dh casing

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hi all. Just been reading some of the reviews on tyres and people's thoughts . I currently have a Maxxis Assegai 29x26 oN the front and a maxxis dhr in 29x26 on the rear.
No recently I've had 3 punches and I've noticed a slight slice in the tyre wall today. Although it's not gone through its only a matter of time.
What are peoples thoughts on a replacement, stick to the same or is there something else equally as good.
I do a mixture of trail riding and general cross country, and the bike is a cannondale moterra .
I'm guessing those three punctures and other damage are all to the rear? I run just exo tyres on the rear (dhrII) with a tannus insert. The tyre gets damaged but does wear out - I get about 2000km. No punctures. I'm still tubeless exo on the front with no problems there.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Big betty is a great tire. Ive found it needs a little more lean in the corners but now that im used to it and its faultless. Just a touch more lean than the mich dh 34 i was used to. Super dh rear and super gravity front in soft for rocky dh terrain with long vertical. Both are soft. They do wear a bit fast and they are heavy. Roll pretty good for that type of tire. Amazing braking and very supportive side knobs. If it wasnt so rocky i bet i could get away with a super trail front and super gravity rear with my current tannus armour. I even had them just under 30psi yesterday in the park and no squirm. Ditching the 1180g wild rockr2 on the front of my enduro bike for the full dh casing dh 34 now, again with tannuas tubeless liners. Enduro bike sees park use too and theres no substitute for dh casing tires at the bp. Major difference. I need another set of wheels to have built up lighter with rotors and cassette for a quick swap for longer backcountry rides on the enduro. Emtb is always going to have coil and dh casing
I’m tempted to try one of my ultra soft BB upfront since it’s 2.6 and stock the 2.4 mary on the back

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I’m tempted to try one of my ultra soft BB upfront since it’s 2.6 and stock the 2.4 mary on the back
I havent found anything bad about my soft compound bb up front in a 2.6. All conditions its been awesome. No deep mud but wet days thtough to hard pack and blown out moon dust its been great. Id like to try a ultra soft up front too. I'd imagine it would be even better on rock skabs and wet roots. I can stick tgis soft in any corner and it never flinches

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I might be an exception to the rule for whatever reason, but I've not been finding the Magic Mary's that draggy. Seem to be able to maintain reasonable speeds (followed two roadies down a hill after stopping to chat about e-bikes and kept up without too much pedalling) - something there's no way I'd be able to do on DH22's. I'm quite a big wild and e-wild fan but at the moment I'm finding the Mary's more than capable. Had a fall a couple of weeks ago on a series of wet roots, but that was incompetence on my part, so I can't really blame them for that - though the DH22's might have given me a get out of jail for free card in the same situation.

No drag problems : MM Trail soft on the front and MM Gravity soft on the rear - 29's. Bosch Gen4/625wh.

Screenshot 2021-07-12 17.07.03.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 08.51.09.png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I might be an exception to the rule for whatever reason, but I've not been finding the Magic Mary's that draggy. Seem to be able to maintain reasonable speeds (followed two roadies down a hill after stopping to chat about e-bikes and kept up without too much pedalling) - something there's no way I'd be able to do on DH22's. I'm quite a big wild and e-wild fan but at the moment I'm finding the Mary's more than capable. Had a fall a couple of weeks ago on a series of wet roots, but that was incompetence on my part, so I can't really blame them for that - though the DH22's might have given me a get out of jail for free card in the same situation.

No drag problems : MM Trail soft on the front and MM Gravity soft on the rear - 29's. Bosch Gen4/625wh.

View attachment 66384

View attachment 66383

Hang on, did these special Magic ‘notmarybutZimmer’ tyres have kinetic energy generation going on?? Dear lord you don’t use that satanic eco do you, blasphemy!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
did these special Magic ‘notmarybutZimmer’ tyres have kinetic energy generation going on??
Don't yours have that ? the cables can be a pig to unwind after a ride, but it's worth it.

The first one was EMTB only and was ridden to flat.

The second one was mixed mode and still had 12-17k left depending what mode you put it in - I guess maybe another 300 meters climb - but I had nothing left in me. I think for most rides EMTB mode is perfect and just leave it in it.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada

View attachment 66384

View attachment 66383
I ended up getting a dh22. Crazy how much grip that rubber has. Ill keep running a 34 and 22 in dh casing in some type of combo after i find a 22 in 29" for the front. Still i wish they made the 22 and 34 in a 2.5 or 2.6 option. No unwanted flex in their sidewall or beads, they above any tire can handle at 2.6. I love those wire beads. Absolute best. 2.5 is my happy place i think

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Don't yours have that ? the cables can be a pig to unwind after a ride, but it's worth it.

The first one was EMTB only and was ridden to flat.

The second one was mixed mode and still had 12-17k left depending what mode you put it in - I guess maybe another 300 meters climb - but I had nothing left in me. I think for most rides EMTB mode is perfect and just leave it in it.
81km is mega!! To do this in EMTB mode is pretty cool also

bRoWn3y3

Dec 25, 2020
Adelaide , S.A , Australia
I’ve never heard of the volume token effect. I can tell you that I have a hard time riding bikes without them. They have been a real game changer for me. I would not have ran carbon 29” wheels on my S-Works without them. I am a big guy that runs lower than normal pressures on everything and I wanted the extra protection the CushCore gives me through rocky technical riding. They also make the bike feel like it has power steering through the corners.
I just wish they we’re so difficult to install. I installed them on 3 bikes in one day and my hands were hurting so much by the end of it.

I use the bit cheaper Tannus Armour inserts which are pretty easy to install ;-) I also love the extra protection as I also ride a lot of rocky sections and love the feel.

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina

The best front tire made is Hillbilly Grid (lightest version). Then the Grid Trail, then Black Diamond. These tires look like chunky speed killers but they have VERY surprising lack of rolling resistance and grip in soft AND hard. I don't understand it but I rock these tires for about 2,000 miles before they wear out. They do not seem to be the same material as the butcher or others because they wear so slow. They are also cheap and light imo. Try one and you will be dumbfounded on the performance. Hard clay WTF I can rail! Sandy flat turn - SCHRALP!. Loam - braaap! It is amazing and you will find grip anywhere!!

Edit: my friends thought I was nuts, I bought them some - believers now! Don't need to run low pressure - keep it higher.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Hi, I am looking for a tire combo with low rolling resistance (and extended range) because I do a lot of tarmac until I hit the trails (~20km of tarmac)
Is this combo suitable?

Maxxis Rekon 2.40 front
Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 rear OR Maxxis Ikon 2.20 3C (the Rekon Race is dual compound) ?

I've found ~30 psi to be a good starting point for tarmac then I can let air out for the trails. I am a new emtb rider so I am not looking for speed on the trails, Rekon front seems to be working fine currently as far as grip goes.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah dual compound is what you should be looking for if you want low rolling resistance. And EXO casings if you want good acceleration. But up your pressures even more for tarmac. (try closer to 40psi).
Tread wise the Rekon/icon is a fast combination but won't be great off road unless your trails are predominantly dry hardpack and not particularly technical. And if that's the case I'd probably run higher pressures off road too.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi, I am looking for a tire combo with low rolling resistance (and extended range) because I do a lot of tarmac until I hit the trails (~20km of tarmac)
Is this combo suitable?

Maxxis Rekon 2.40 front
Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 rear OR Maxxis Ikon 2.20 3C (the Rekon Race is dual compound) ?

I've found ~30 psi to be a good starting point for tarmac then I can let air out for the trails. I am a new emtb rider so I am not looking for speed on the trails, Rekon front seems to be working fine currently as far as grip goes.
Thanks!
It often depends on the surface so i suggest you ask in your area but here the Rekon front can be tricky, it will work fine but on a bad day it will wash out. The front will not slow you much so i suggest something like the Nobby Nic. Carry a mini pump if you want more PSI for the return. When you talk PSI include your weight.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It often depends on the surface so i suggest you ask in your area but here the Rekon front can be tricky, it will work fine but on a bad day it will wash out. The front will not slow you much so i suggest something like the Nobby Nic. Carry a mini pump if you want more PSI for the return. When you talk PSI include your weight.
I tried dissector front and rear rekon, it was on a demo rise and I was very impressed, in fact my best days riding but I wasn’t impressed with the rekon, it slipped on roots in quite dry conditions, hard stuff was descent enough……

on another ride I had MM front and Nobby nics which are like a beefed up rekon but which was god awful in enduro riding conditions tbh…..great on the Rocky/hardpac stuff though. I’d recommend NN over a rekon but I’m not sure how the weight compares.

Since I’ve just bought a Rise I’ll have to work out what I’m going to go with, mainly the weight will have a say in them but then getting a light non banana peel sidewall tyre may prove tricky

29 Zoll (MTB) Tubeless Ready | Easy here’s a good way to check what’s lightest

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I tried dissector front and rear rekon, it was on a demo rise and I was very impressed, in fact my best days riding but I wasn’t impressed with the rekon, it slipped on roots in quite dry conditions, hard stuff was descent enough……

on another ride I had MM front and Nobby nics which are like a beefed up rekon but which was god awful in enduro riding conditions tbh…..great on the Rocky/hardpac stuff though. I’d recommend NN over a rekon but I’m not sure how the weight compares.

Since I’ve just bought a Rise I’ll have to work out what I’m going to go with, mainly the weight will have a say in them but then getting a light non banana peel sidewall tyre may prove tricky

29 Zoll (MTB) Tubeless Ready | Easy here’s a good way to check what’s lightest
The Rekon i loved rear was a 3c and it took a few days to dial the optimal PSI and to increase traction we can reverse the rolling direction. I think the NN is a bit heavier than the Rekon in exo.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Yeah dual compound is what you should be looking for if you want low rolling resistance. And EXO casings if you want good acceleration. But up your pressures even more for tarmac. (try closer to 40psi).
Tread wise the Rekon/icon is a fast combination but won't be great off road unless your trails are predominantly dry hardpack and not particularly technical. And if that's the case I'd probably run higher pressures off road too.

So I did 2 rides. I am 85kg and went for 35 front 40 rear, the rides were non technical trails so nothing fancy or downhill.
It worked fine over the previous 20 front 25 rear I was using, but when I reached a trail with just stones I was bouncing all over the place and let air out of the front which worked great.

I will keep using the higher pressures since I do a lot of tarmac and simple trails currently, then I can just let air based on terrain as mentioned ?

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Just thought I’d throw my experience into the mix in case anyone is interested
Since switching to an ebike I’m running the biggest tyres I’ve ever run.
I decided to go with Continental as I’ve always rated them before, I choose Trail King 27.5 x 2.6 for front and rear as they seemed to cover the type of riding I prefer to do

First things first how are you actually supposed to buy them, as with lots of bike parts they are like hens teeth. I eventually tracked some down from Bike-Discount.de
Once I got them they looked enormous I’m used to 1.95 and 2.2 x26 ?
I’m running them tubeless and they went onto the rims easily enough (Hope Fortus 30) and to my complete surprise inflated first time with a track pump and stayed up overnight with out any sealant in. Historical I’ve never been able to get tubeless tyres to go up without a compressor or fitting a tube to seat them. The next day I put 120ml of Revo into each tyre and adjusted the pressure to 24psi front and rear. I couldn’t help but notice how sticky they where when rolling them across the garage floor they literally squeezed on the tiles ?.
I’ve probably ridden 200 miles on them now and I’ve no complaints at all even the pressures have stayed the same and seem about right for my 90kg and gentle riding style and I wouldn’t change them or the way they are set up.
Long may it continue

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I have decided to buy 29x2.6 Schwalbe Magic Mary to front and Big Betty gravity soft to rear tyre. Which casing you suggest to front, gravity or trail? How about robber softness to front, ultra soft or soft?
Bike is specialized levo and I ride trails and enduro, also in cold and wet weather. There is also lot of rocks and roots.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have decided to buy 29x2.6 Schwalbe Magic Mary to front and Big Betty gravity soft to rear tyre. Which casing you suggest to front, gravity or trail? How about robber softness to front, ultra soft or soft?
Bike is specialized levo and I ride trails and enduro, also in cold and wet weather. There is also lot of rocks and roots.
The Mary comes in ultra soft on the gravity and downhill tyres only which both have extra casing layers which make them heavier. Though the ultra soft would give amazing grip up front.
if you choose the lighter super trail casing it will be a lighter tyre and still good enough for a front option but you’ll have to get the soft compound. Always compromises!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles