What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From hardest to softest tread compound, Maxxis produce:

• Single Compound - 70a Durometer the firmest compound for maximum tread life, and super low rolling resistance
  • eXCeption – A 62a Rubber compound perfect for cross-country race bikes.
  • MaxxPro – A 60a rubber compound predominately used as a long life gravity bike tyre.

• Maxpro 50a - discontinued but also predominately used as a long life gravity bike tyre.
  • Dual Compound– 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs.
  • 3C Maxx Speed- 72a/60a/62a - These feature 72a rubber at the base of the knobs with 60a on the side knobs and 62a on the centre tread. This offers the lowest rolling resistance for cross-country bikes.

By the time you've worn a 3C down to the 70a base layer it's fucked anyway.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Maxxis has been dethroned for a few years. Michelin kills them on all fronts, especially with the new dh shoes released. Wild rockr 2.35 is same width and weight as a dhf 2.5 dd and destroys the maxxis on all applications(edge hold, durability, flat protection, tread wear, wet/dry, roots, rocks, dampness, traction). The only thing a dhf does better is roll slightly faster but its for an eeb so ill take the traction over minor lack of rolling resistance.
Havent tried the aggressor but ive seen a lot of people jump on the band wagon. Everyone of them then complained of flats. Some even bought another as a replacement only to have the same failure. Are they lighter than other comparable maxxis casings? Is a dhr2 dd/exo heavier than an aggressor dd/exo? Is maxxis a cult?

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Assegai 2.6 EXO +

First ride, set up with Cushcore, front only. Baron 2.6 rear.

Measures 64 mm knob to knob, so a bit smaller than stated. Compared to a Continental Baron 2.6 about 5mm less in diameter.

Calm, controlled, corners well in hard pack and mud, rolls surprisingly well. In fact I think it rolls better than the Baron 2.6 and certainly offers better control and grip particularly in the wet.

So I’m going to fit one in the rear to try. Either the same 2.6 EXO + or 2.5 WT DD with Cushcore. On a spare rear I’ll also try a Aggressor 2.5 WT DD for dryer conditions.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Question to anyone with experience of using the Assegai both ends. What spec are you using for the rear? As far as I can tell if you have the extra strong DD for the rear you get Maxgrip? Would this be too draggy?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Question to anyone with experience of using the Assegai both ends. What spec are you using for the rear? As far as I can tell if you have the extra strong DD for the rear you get Maxgrip? Would this be too draggy?

For the rear, I recommend at least a DD casing. I also found the Maxxterra to roll better than the Maxxgrip as well as last longer. I peeled the side lugs off my Maxxgripp

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Is anyone running the Aggressor with cushcore plus? Cushcore recommends tyres between 2.6-3.0 with the plus. I'm thinking about trying the 2.5 aggressor if I can get it to fit.

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
Haven’t read through all the posts, but I’m running Maxxis Assagai 2.5 DH Casing in MaxxGrip on the front and Maxxis Dissector 2.4 DH Casing also in MaxxGrip on the rear of my 2020 Kenevo and loving it so far!
Both tubeless.

I’m going to try them with the Schwalbe Procore Set too at some stage as I bought one and never used it. Curious to see what others think about it too......

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Haven’t read through all the posts, but I’m running Maxxis Assagai 2.5 DH Casing in MaxxGrip on the front and Maxxis Dissector 2.4 DH Casing also in MaxxGrip on the rear of my 2020 Kenevo and loving it so far!
Both tubeless.

I’m going to try them with the Schwalbe Procore Set too at some stage as I bought one and never used it. Curious to see what others think about it too......

Im a big fan of procore on a DH bike and my enduro bike, let you keep the tyre pressures normal when it gets so rough youd want to put them up. They dont let you drop pressures generally though, as they dont support the sidewall in normal riding like Cushcore, but they do take a lot of the big impacts. Can still damage rims though, as you can any insert, a big hit is still a big hit.

Im thinking they should be good for ebikes as they will help support the bike when battering through rough stuff, without needing to put pressures up or run DH tyres all the time.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
If you want fast rolling pay attention to the compound.
Dual compound is maxxis hardest fastest rolling compound and will noticably roll quicker on any of their tread designs.
If you want maximum rolling speed buy a minion SS in dual compound and run it higher pressure so it doesn't deform so much and will run off the edge knobs more in a straight line.
They are actually good in the wet/mud as having do little actual tread they pretty much never pack/clog. The downside is very little braking grip or straight line sat like a potato climbing traction. to get the best out of the tyre you need to get it leant over. Those side knobs are the exact same as a DHF so absolutely rail if trusted. They'll also climb mud if you lean the bike into them.
TBF putting this much thought into riding is probably not viable for the average 150mm crank spinning Ebike rider

Personally I wouldn't bother with an Ardent

Well contrary to your belief, offroad Bikes use less energy on tyres with lower tyre pressures. The carcass is allowed to deform around and over the root/bump and takes less energy out of the bike.
On road- higher pressure = less resistance.
Off road - lower pressure = less resistance.

Resistance is futile: How tire pressure and width affect rolling resistance – VeloNews.com

Have a read a skim about half way down to see pressure information.

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I managed to get double snake bite puncture on my Kenevo yesterday that ended my ride early so I am now in the market for a replacement rear tyre (and maybe front).

I've read through many pages of this tread and it seems the general conciseness is Maxxis Minons are the go to for many?

I was tempted to invest into a cushcore insert but the pricing is ridiculous for a bit of foam so I am going to pay a few extra quid for a minion with a the double down sidewall.

Next question is where is the best place to order them? Maxxis website is out of stock for most options and my usual go to CRC is a minefield for the maxxis options. Ideally a looking for 2.4 or wider, tubeless ready, DD.

Who's got discount code? ;)

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I managed to get double snake bite puncture on my Kenevo yesterday that ended my ride early so I am now in the market for a replacement rear tyre (and maybe front).

I've read through many pages of this tread and it seems the general conciseness is Maxxis Minons are the go to for many?

I was tempted to invest into a cushcore insert but the pricing is ridiculous for a bit of foam so I am going to pay a few extra quid for a minion with a the double down sidewall.

Next question is where is the best place to order them? Maxxis website is out of stock for most options and my usual go to CRC is a minefield for the maxxis options. Ideally a looking for 2.4 or wider, tubeless ready, DD.

The Specialized butcher black diamond is also a good shout for the rear.
It has reinforced side walls and is comparatively cheap

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Well contrary to your belief, offroad Bikes use less energy on tyres with lower tyre pressures. The carcass is allowed to deform around and over the root/bump and takes less energy out of the bike.

Resistance is futile: How tire pressure and width affect rolling resistance – VeloNews.com

While the basic principle is correct, i think your missing the pertinent point of his post. A Minion SS is a semi slick, so run it at lower pressure and you get significant drag of the outer tread blocks on the ground. Also the the less-pressure = less rolling resistance is a generic rule about deformation over an object, it does not factor tread compound, carcass construction, surface roughness, what is actucally 'low' and not 'too low'. Note that road bikes can roll faster with less pressure also, again this depends on the exact surface they are rolling on.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
The Specialized butcher black diamond is also a good shout for the rear.
It has reinforced side walls and is comparatively cheap
Interesting you say that...I have a 2020 Kenevo with that tyre and i'm not a fan of it on the front or rear and its the tyre that just got a double snake bite puncture. I guess we're all different :ROFLMAO:

I want to go back maxxis as they've been bullet proof for me for years

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North

Cushcore is much more than a piece of foam, certainly more so than other options like Nukeproof ARD as one example. The shape is designed to provide ride support in addition to puncture protection. If you have time there is a great podcast interview with the designer here....
Suspension, the Next Frontier - Adam Krefting from CushCore - Downtime Podcast

I agree about the pricing though, if it was £100 pair i might have bought one, but £160 is too much.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Cushcore is much more than a piece of foam, certainly more so than other options like Nukeproof ARD as one example. The shape is designed to provide ride support in addition to puncture protection. If you have time there is a great podcast interview with the designer here....
Suspension, the Next Frontier - Adam Krefting from CushCore - Downtime Podcast

I agree about the pricing though, if it was £100 pair i might have bought one, but £160 is too much.
I can already imagine the backlash for this post but I am gonna last it anyway...is cushcore really justifiable at £85 each? I have researched the product and its clearly good and market leading but the price :eek:.

I have never had a snakebite flat on a tubeless set up in 5+ years (although only been eMTBing since October 19) and prior to that I was tubed for 8+ years and very rarely if ever had a pinch flat but I have always ridden either maxxis highrollers or minions so my question...is a reinforced sidewall (maxxis DD for example) enough? or for eMTBs do I need to seriously consider cushcore? If so I would only use in the rear tyre, thoughts?

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I can already imagine the backlash for this post but I am gonna last it anyway...is cushcore really justifiable at £85 each? I have researched the product and its clearly good and market leading but the price :eek:.

I have never had a snakebite flat on a tubeless set up in 5+ years (although only been eMTBing since October 19) and prior to that I was tubed for 8+ years and very rarely if ever had a pinch flat but I have always ridden either maxxis highrollers or minions so my question...is a reinforced sidewall (maxxis DD for example) enough? or for eMTBs do I need to seriously consider cushcore? If so I would only use in the rear tyre, thoughts?

I know one person for who cushcore in addition to dh casing was the final solution to rim smashing and tubeless burping issues on his enduro bike, he had tried everything else and was just churning through rims from either straight hits or losing pressure and then smashing rims (riding how he wanted, everyone can change riding style, but if you dont want to then thats why we look for options like thicker tyres etc.).

For everyone else? if you dont break rims and dont puncture regularly then maybe not. They do also provide sidewall support, so if you want lower pressures and less tyre roll then maybe its an option. If you just want to stop pinch punctures on light tyres, then there are cheaper options that do just that (but nothing else).

I very rarely have tyre issues, but still i choose to run procore for the other benefits of lower tyre pressure and preventing tubeless burping. I want to try cushcore for my ebike as i think the other benefits will be noticable, but as i have procore ready for it, the cost of cushcore is too high for now.

EDIT: also worth noting many rims and tyres are now over £50, so if £85 saves a rim or tyre on even one occasion and still provides other benefits, is it actually expensive?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

Aye. On rough ground. how much of your climbing is honestly on actual rough terrain?
For most of us if we're honest very little.
Try actually riding instead of reading dumb studies done by manufacturers/nerds/magazines

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Rolling resistance is beneficial on more than just climbing and if your climbing on billiard smooth tarmac all the time, then maybe your on the wrong forum.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
.is a reinforced sidewall (maxxis DD for example) enough? or for eMTBs do I need to seriously consider cushcore? If so I would only use in the rear tyre, thoughts?
So long as you're not doing full on DH riding somewhere with sharp rocks everywhere single ply/Exo casing's set up tubeless with no trye insert at all will work just fine if you simply run appropriate pressures (high enough that they still offer good sidewall support and won't ever fold enough to burp the tyre or bottom out on your rims). Obviously if just blatting into every square edge obsticle on your rides while running low pressures in the search for ultimate grip is your thing this won't work for you..
RRP of a decent rim these days is around £70+ and a decent DH racing tyre around the same. The £85 for cushcore "could" save you rims/tyres in the long run. But so would just running slightly higher pressures

I rebuild DH and enduro racers wheels all the time that have been fitted with inserts. Those guys still tear tyres, and still ding/bend/crack rims but when they do in an actual race senario it usually allows them to continue to the line and still put in a reasonable time. If you're racing competitively to a reasonbably high level they're definitely a good idea simply for insurance.
For the average weekend Emtb rider?... i'm not so sure. I suppose it depends on how low you really want to run your tyre pressures.
sounds like you're getting on just fine without them.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
My Maxxis Minions were crap and slippery in mud. But good on gravel. The e-wilds stick like mad on the edges of slippery deep mud and I can’t fault them. Would not go back

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
So I've just got my new Whyte e180 at the weekend and noticed the tread compounds, to me are the wrong war around

Maxterra on the front and maxgrip on the rear.
I'd normally run the stickier on the front for obvious reasons, but given I now have extra power for climbs is the general idea to run the sticky tyre on the back?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
So I've just got my new Whyte e180 at the weekend and noticed the tread compounds, to me are the wrong war around

Maxterra on the front and maxgrip on the rear.
I'd normally run the stickier on the front for obvious reasons, but given I now have extra power for climbs is the general idea to run the sticky tyre on the back?

that's not right, I'd switch them around

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Reading through, not many shouts for the Maxxis Shorty.
Where I ride mostly is a real mix of terrain types with some soft loam which turns into clay sludge at the slightest hint of rain, onto gravelly type surface, slippy rocks (like glass in the wet), tree rootastic bits and a smidge of road to link some of the areas.

I've struggled to find tyres that will work across all areas and seasons but the Maxxis Shorty's I've just fitted front and rear are outstanding. 3C Maxx Terra compounds at about 25F/30R psi (I'm a heavy lad) and I have no problems with grip or punctures.

I tried DD casing on a previous bike and it helped in some areas but dragged in others.

Tried Magic Mary's (purple band) and they started shedding side knobs at 50miles. Eddy Currents (orange banded) fell apart on a hot ride (back when we had summers) after not many more miles.

The new bike came with Minion DHRs which I had high hopes for but simply couldn't handle the clag.

I was dubious about going F and R shorty after my last bike had a HR2 rear but 100kms in and I'm KOM hunting (only on the descents?) even in the wet!

Downsides... Not many really. They're draggy but no more than the minions.

Just my ten pence worth. Hope you're all able to get some social distancing out on the trails!

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
I love to talk about tires, and I have to change!
I want a pair that we forget (tear-proof, anti-puncture) to attack as we want, or we want with peace of mind.
I had chosen Eddy Current (Or E-Wild) but to "counter" the weight as much take a thinner tire (gain in liveliness, performance)
Feedback on the DH22 / 34?
A priori it is the most reinforced tire that exists.
Desktop.jpg
Michelin_DH_tech_494x294.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles