What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Apologies for the totally shite question but why the obsession with fast rolling tyres?
Most of us are on 20+ kg electric bikes for feck sake, the motor will surely negate most of the drag will it not?
Anyway, time to go back under my rock ?

The majority of my rides are planned so that I can get home without the battery running flat, so battery range and therefore less resistance on the tyre is a big consideration for me. I’m currently on a 27.5 DHR II 2.8 rear and it just feels too large and draggy, yet apparently the wider widths tyres are faster rolling. I have a hardtail with 2.6 e-wilds on and that has far better range than my full suss with the DHR, but then the rear shock also makes pedalling less efficient, so not sure if the e-wilds make that much difference or if it’s the suspension that decreases the range. Choosing the right tyre is a minefield, and in my opinion just trial and error until you find the right one that suits your own riding style, ground conditions, range requirements. Basically I have no idea what to replace my 2.8 DHR with so will just go for something I like the look of!

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Looking for some feedback on Vee Tyres, has anyone used them? General idea seems to be very grippybut very slow rolling.
Had a little look online and reviews are a little thin and note much on youtube either, currently running a minnion DHF(2.5) & DHR(2.8)
Tyres have been on for the last 12 months and the rear is looking worse for wear, thought about changing to something more unusual.
If not considering MM(f+r) / NM(r) MM(f) or sticking maxxis with maybe assagei front maybe DHR2 rear.
Thinking anything will have less drag than the 2.8 on the bike at the minute.

Thanks for any feedback
I asked about vee tires earlier in this thread. No response. Tread patterns look really good. I see they now have a variety of casings in the 2.6 snap. I want to get some dh casing 2.6 snaps in soft rear and ultra soft front. Bike24 and crc dont carry them. Have you seen them at an online store?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I asked about vee tires earlier in this thread. No response. Tread patterns look really good. I see they now have a variety of casings in the 2.6 snap. I want to get some dh casing 2.6 snaps in soft rear and ultra soft front. Bike24 and crc dont carry them. Have you seen them at an online store?
was curious to see what they looked like, and found a few reviews via duckduckgo. Bicycles online sell them, as do Commencal in Canada and the UK. It looks as though there are many more places to buy, even here in Australia.

too many links to reviews; I'll just give you the search link: vee tyre snap at DuckDuckGo

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
was curious to see what they looked like, and found a few reviews via duckduckgo. Bicycles online sell them, as do Commencal in Canada and the UK. It looks as though there are many more places to buy, even here in Australia.

too many links to reviews; I'll just give you the search link: vee tyre snap at DuckDuckGo
Thanks. Commencal canada has a few models in 2.35 with dh casing and different compounds. Just light casing 2.6's though. Ill have to check bicycles online. Hadnt heard of them

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
What technique do you use to fit new tyre properly on the rim? I used liquid soap and pump it really hard, but I still have one spot where the tyre has non popped into the rim properly and it is a little buckled.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
What technique do you use to fit new tyre properly on the rim? I used liquid soap and pump it really hard, but I still have one spot where the tyre has non popped into the rim properly and it is a little buckled.
try fitting it with a tube and leave it sit at 40psi overnight. Then remove tube and try again. I only ever use a floor pump (Joe Blow); but pump as fast as I can initially.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If it hits 12 deg C in Yorkshire it’s time to put on the sunnies, shorts & t shirts!
Ha ha... my Garmin says my ride on Sunday was min temp 2degC, and average of 4degC, and I was out in shorts / T-shirt for the first time this year. Looked like a lovely sunny morning... but it wasn’t until I was about 10mins in I noticed lots of frost on the ground ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’m looking for tyres, I rode some off piste stuff down at wharncliffe recently twice in a week on both dry/wet days and my minions rolled a little too fast for my liking on the dry day but during the wet day they failed miserably! Basically they clogged up totally and wouldn’t clear, I’m not expecting a magical army of cleaning ants to come with any tyre but there were full complete circles of mud shit at the end!

So I want to actually go for slower rolling and more traction tyres, maybe wtb verdict or vittoria e-mazza 2.4 instead of 2.6

I also tried a friends cube bike out with 27.5 wheels and his felt way more agile and confidence inspiring than my wild but perhaps it’s because it forces you to weight the front end more rather than the smaller wheels xyz

This video was the dry day and the dh was mainly locking my brakes a lot but in the wet dh stuff was crap with these tyres

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
So I want to actually go for slower rolling and more traction tyres
What about the assegai? I don't ride in mud as such, but through winter here there is some mud. I change to assegai because the dhf clogs down the middle. When I've worn my dhf out (that'll take for ever) I'll probably change to assegai all year. The dhf is teaching me to lean the bike more aggressively in turns though, which I need to do more off.

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
Anybody know what Rob warner recently used on his southdowns in a day ride ? I got Mary and nic in mine and am wanting something with a bit less resistance.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I fitted Schwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5x2.8 on the rear and I can confirm that the OEM Assegai 27.5x2.6 had more grip in the mud and on loose gravel.
Next season, I will be mostly wearing Michelin, which are phenomenal on my analogue hard tail… we will see on the FS eMTB

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
What about the assegai? I don't ride in mud as such, but through winter here there is some mud. I change to assegai because the dhf clogs down the middle. When I've worn my dhf out (that'll take for ever) I'll probably change to assegai all year. The dhf is teaching me to lean the bike more aggressively in turns though, which I need to do more off.
Yeah seems an issue there with dhf......I’ve read actually assegia is more grippy but more rolling resistance, personally that’s music to my ears but I’m almost tempted to try this on the rear and stick a Mary or wtb verdict up front.....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I fitted Schwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5x2.8 on the rear and I can confirm that the OEM Assegai 27.5x2.6 had more grip in the mud and on loose gravel.
Next season, I will be mostly wearing Michelin, which are phenomenal on my analogue hard tail… we will see on the FS eMTB
ewild or 22/34?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yeah seems an issue there with dhf......I’ve read actually assegia is more grippy but more rolling resistance, personally that’s music to my ears but I’m almost tempted to try this on the rear and stick a Mary or wtb verdict up front.....
Marys look nice - I think I need more transition knobs if it's going to be wet :). All my riding is steep up and down; I like the dhr on the rear. Mine now has over 2300km on and it still seems to work. Maybe it makes me focus more on style and technique when climbing, and doing the porpoise thing when descending and braking? I do take notice of what Gary says, if it's in the realms of possibility for me ? The dhr also doesn't get clogged up in mud. I'll put a new one on when it gets wet in earnest (nothing like the UK). Marys and verdicts are popular tyres - they must be good.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I was out earlier to suss out if my issue is actually tyres or something else so I used my mates hardtail and it was 2-3x better at everything, turning, dh, modulating; I felt I could actually control a bike for the first time, comical!

My demo Orbea Rise comes next week! Bye bye mr Wild, I might even get an analogue too

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
You basically need to ride faster and not brake for a minion to work for you and not clog in the wet.

They were developed for world cup downhill racing not Ebike mincing
Hell, that means even at my advanced stage of life, I'm not an Ebike mincer, or is it the dry dusty Suffolk sand.........

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was out earlier to suss out if my issue is actually tyres or something else so I used my mates hardtail and it was 2-3x better at everything, turning, dh, modulating; I felt I could actually control a bike for the first time, comical!

Have a look at this video - it might give you some ideas of where to look. This dude is an awesome rider; he's also knowledgable and able to identify why a bike is good at this or no good at that. For example, I'm guessing your mate's hardtail has short chainstay, slack head angle, steep seat angle etc. Could also be sizing - maybe you're able to get your bum back and low easier when dropping down (better braking)? Is your bike too big?

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors

My demo Orbea Rise comes next week! Bye bye mr Wild, I might even get an analogue too
Is it possible your tires have too much air and lack grip?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
that article said the e-wild tyres squirm on berms and might not be as good as continental hmmmm
If you're going for the Rise, you'll need to be more careful on your rolling resistance. You might think you want more and yes, in some cases, that might also give you tyres with more straight line braking especially on the rear - but I was loosing 20-25% range with the DH22's over Wild Enduro's (2.4). You'll also not benefit from your "lightweight" bike if you stick 2 tonnes of rubber on it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For a grippy front many say a lot of good about WTB Vigilante. I will try to get one.
The bike I bought my 11-year old grandson had a 27.5x2.6 Vigilante on the front and a Trail Boss on the rear. I replaced them with a 2.4 HR II 3C front and 1C rear, tubeless and saved two pounds of wheel weight. But I really liked the appearance of the WTB tyres and Googled them. Got great reviews and changed my front tyre as soon as the rear wore out. The WTB Vigilante 29x2.5 TCS, Light, High Grip, with TriTec compound and Slash Guard (1160gm) is brilliant as a front tyre (IMO). Even though I loved the HR II 3C, the Vigilante is a step up in grip. But to my surprise it still rolls as well as the HR II. By that, I mean that I can detect no difference, either by ride feel or range. I've done over 530 miles and the tread seems hardly worn. OK, I don't ride granite outcroppings all day long, nor tear about at high speed then braking to a standstill. Most of my miles are normally forest based and on very sandy ground. I have ridden a lot of tarmac and towpaths during lockdown (with higher pressures). My riding weight is 14.5 stone/203lbs/92kg. 17psi front, 20psi rear.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
My advice buy whatever you need based on this blog:

Best mountain bike tyres: front tyres and rear tyres for all conditions - MBR
Whether you want the ultimate grip or the fastest rolling speed, and whether you ride in sand, rock or loam, we have the best mountain bike tyres for you.

71480A7F-A81C-4306-8D65-1E20AE39C9A6.jpeg

Ive just absorbed last 20 pages of this thread amongst a few reviews, it’s all abit of a mess really, when you buy a car tyre you just click the sites and they tend to have a score for rolling, wet and dry grip (granted I never checked the scoring system out but hey, my cross climates feel decent!)....my point is I know cross climates are all weather but roll slower so more fuel needed, primacy 4 are better for dry but not as good in the wet, it took me 5 minutes to work out and order, I’ve spent hours looking into ’bike tyres’.

Like everything mtb it’s laborious finding the right anything out and your pulled between sponsored reviewers or subjective feedback, maybe the odd time it’s independent...oh sure go buy them/try them, I love dicking about making mistakes but sometimes it’s just nice to be spend money without needing to go down a rabbit hole.

Someone buy every tyre, create a way to test and then create a bloomin site based on the results! It would get thousands of hits a day and make a small fortune via affiliation! Actually if anyone in Yorkshire knows any boffins then I’d happily organise the tyres and the site and put an end to this misery! I bet it would also show some high scoring cheaper more available alternatives too. Just off top of my head be stuff like summer, winter, all season, weight, battery consumption (rolling) and then all the technical stuff etc.

VTB, Vittoria, Swarble (thanks Doom,),Schwalbe Michellin.....compounds.....after all the research I couldn’t say what the consensus is....ok off to guess buy I go!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles