What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
I put the liteskin version of that tire on my bike and it worked well until one day in the rain i flatted going pretty quickly downhill and it hurt lots after the front went out really quickly. I think the continental light tube broke at the valve. Anyway i would use better tubes or the tubeless version.

It is the tubeless version, the LBS made it clear I should definitely run them tubeless as they have poor puncture resistance.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I lost the front end on Minions yesterday. I think my tyre pressure was around 35-40psi after sealing the new (lighter, dual compound) tyres. Couldn’t find my tyre pressure guage so just rode with them as they were. Not used to tyres at that pressure.

Let a load of pressure from them after my fall and got back and there was still 26 psi in the front.
Ouch that must've hurt, Rob. Was it the DHF 2.5 or DHR II 2.4? I love that DHF on the front but I am looking for a slightly skinnier, lighter front tire and that would be the DHR II in 2.4. Maxis website do not list that as a wet conditions tire but web reviews rave about it on the front as a great cornering tire. Just don't know how it does in the wet.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
What I run is irrelivant to you. but basically I run a DHF or DHRII up front, Semi slicks or DHFs rear.
2.5 DH casings on my DH bikes, 2.5/2.3 Exo on enduro/Eeb and 2.35/2.35 single ply on hardtails and Slopestyle bikes.

A DHRII upfront when ridden properly corners almost exactly the same as a DHF but offers massively more braking performance. They are both soe of the most predictable tyre tread designs ever created.
So, actually, just found Gary's answer to my question above in this attached quote. Definitely going with a DHRII 2.4 EXO up front next time I only weigh 140 pounds so don't need the fatter tires. What I value the most for screaming down hill at warp speed is the lightest possible tire to make the front wheel more flickable on our very tight trails. And of course still corner well in the wet.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I lost the front end on Minions yesterday. I think my tyre pressure was around 35-40psi after sealing the new (lighter, dual compound) tyres. Couldn’t find my tyre pressure guage so just rode with them as they were. Not used to tyres at that pressure.

Let a load of pressure from them after my fall and got back and there was still 26 psi in the front.
My Levo had 30 psi front and back when I picked it up. I have no idea how soft to go but 30 was definitely too hard. I keep going back to my days on racer when even 30 would be too soft.

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
Trying a new setup - exploded my Maxxis Rekon Rear the other day on my way to the trail head passing some construction area. Nail punctured and Orange Seal could not quite seal the hole...so had to use some jerky...that work 75% so I just turned and went home. Was going to slap a boot on and call it a day until I found another nail still in the tire on the other side...same punctured tire. Not a fan of too many repairs and it was a fairly new tire.

So, today the setup is - Purgatory 2.6 Front and Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 Rear.

We'll see how this goes. I like the tread pattern of the Aggressor and looks like it should be good for grabbing the stuff we have out here on the trails.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
Ok...So, I was out riding in Scotland (Dunkeld) yesterday on the Kenevo...BRILLIANT day out with my son and a few of his mates!
HOWEVER, I found that no matter what tyre pressure I tried in the front, I was getting lots of washout in the muddier conditions ☹️ so much so, that I am thinking of taking my tyres off and trying something different for the wetter, slippiest winter riding!

I am running Maxxis Minion DHF up front and DHRII at the rear but in 2.8 width! Am I right in thinking that I’d get more grip in these conditions with a slightly skinnier tyre? I just lost all confidence in the front end when I was in the woods in the loam ? A lot will probably be down to my technique, but I think my tyre choice could be better ?

All advice, comments welcome! Cheers!

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Ok...So, I was out riding in Scotland (Dunkeld) yesterday on the Kenevo...BRILLIANT day out with my son and a few of his mates!
HOWEVER, I found that no matter what tyre pressure I tried in the front, I was getting lots of washout in the muddier conditions ☹️ so much so, that I am thinking of taking my tyres off and trying something different for the wetter, slippiest winter riding!

I am running Maxxis Minion DHF up front and DHRII at the rear but in 2.8 width! Am I right in thinking that I’d get more grip in these conditions with a slightly skinnier tyre? I just lost all confidence in the front end when I was in the woods in the loam ? A lot will probably be down to my technique, but I think my tyre choice could be better ?

All advice, comments welcome! Cheers!
Try the DHRII at the front. Some say gives allot more grip. But yes a 2.6 on the front should be allot beter.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Try the DHRII at the front. Some say gives allot more grip.

That's odd. The DHF and DHRII share the exact same edge knob design so when leant over perform remarkably similarly in all sapects
The difference between the two is the central tread where the DHRII has bars creating far more BRAKING grip. they're actually very slighly worse at directional grip while upright somewhere like dunkeld in the wet. But fine if you're a good rider who's used to riding dry tyres in wet conditions.
Oh... and [
But yes a 2.6 2.4 on the front should be allot beter.
;)

@Dwazzer Ask in the bike shop in Dunkeld, but most folk will be riding Magic Marys or Shortys (or other manufacturers versions of an intermediate spike) over the winter there.
How long are you up for?
If you fancy a ride in the tweed valley before you head back (I presume to England) give me a shout.I know all the spots and most trails pretty well down there

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
That's odd. The DHF and DHRII share the exact same edge knob design so when leant over perform remarkably similarly in all sapects

Don't shoot the messenger lol, that's what I been reading on the web quite allot. I haven't try them my self so I can say for sure.

I do like to give the Shorty's a go soon.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
The difference between the two is the central tread where the DHRII has bars creating far more BRAKING grip. they're actually very slighly worse at directional grip while upright somewhere like dunkeld in the wet. But fine if you're a good rider who's used to riding dry tyres in wet conditions.
Oh... and [ ;)

@Dwazzer Ask in the bike shop in Dunkeld, but most folk will be riding Magic Marys or Shortys (or other manufacturers versions of an intermediate spike) over the winter there.
How long are you up for?
If you fancy a ride in the tweed valley before you head back (I presume to England) give me a shout.I know all the spots and most trails pretty well down there
Cheers Gary,

I was only ‘up’ for the day yesterday, as I met up with my son who’s studying at St. Andrews! I’m not that far south though (only in Cumbria) and do head up to the borders now and then for a ride ? I’ll definitely take you up on your offer at some point tho mate as it’s always a better day when you ride with someone who knows where to go ?

Thanks for the advice on the tyres too, I think I’ll get a 2.4 for the front...what do you think on the rear? 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
2.4 as well.

I don't agree with the fatter super grippy tyre on the rear Emtb advice. But I prefer a nice handling Ebike to one I can sit down on and use the motor and a big rear tyre try to climb steep hills without using body positioning to create grip.

none of my mates have Ebikes so it'd be good to ride with another Ebiker who likes the same sort of riding. Haven't had mine up to Dunkeld yet (but have ridden there tons on DH and normal bikes over the years)

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
2.4 as well.

I don't agree with the fatter super grippy tyre on the rear Emtb advice. But I prefer a nice handling Ebike to one I can sit down on and use the motor and a big rear tyre try to climb steep hills without using body positioning to create grip.

none of my mates have Ebikes so it'd be good to ride with another Ebiker who likes the same sort of riding. Haven't had mine up to Dunkeld yet (but have ridden there tons on DH and normal bikes over the years)
It was my first time at Dunkeld, and I really enjoyed it! I was pushing my boundaries tbh, but the bike just lapped it up! Had a couple of off’s (which I always do ?) but was smiling my face off for most of the day...only time I wasn’t smiling was when I was shitting myself lol ?

Nice one Gary ?

Be great to meet up at some point for a ride mate, I am usually the only one on an Ebike (knee surgery!) and get a bit tired of explaining why! I just love being able to keep riding!

Time to get searching for tyres again!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It was my first time at Dunkeld, and I really enjoyed it! I was pushing my boundaries tbh, but the bike just lapped it up!
Cool. Were you riding the Hermitage Enduro/DH trails, the mast or the other side of the town above Birnham? (all good BTW)

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
Cool. Were you riding the Hermitage Enduro/DH trails, the mast or the other side of the town above Birnham? (all good BTW)
We did two sides! From the Mast down was sketchy with the loose slatey rocks and steep, sharp corners with big rolling drop off’s! And above Birnam, we climbed the path to the very top and then headed further up (to the left of where it opens out and then right over the top) and over onto the DH run on the other side! Finished off with a couple of runs through the forest on the Birnam side...where I discovered the lack of grip on the front! A REALLY good day! I love riding in Scotland ?

nappa

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Farningham, kent
HELP!

Im going around in circles here trying to select the right tires for my levo comp.

I want max grip posable :) and tubeless

I just don't know what to use

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
We did two sides! From the Mast down was sketchy with the loose slatey rocks and steep, sharp corners with big rolling drop off’s! And above Birnam, we climbed the path to the very top and then headed further up (to the left of where it opens out and then right over the top) and over onto the DH run on the other side! Finished off with a couple of runs through the forest on the Birnam side...where I discovered the lack of grip on the front! A REALLY good day! I love riding in Scotland ?
Nice!
Done very similar rides around Dunkeld by the sounds of it. Need to get the Eeb up there sometime that big climb above birnham is going to be soooo nice :) Just wish some mates would buy Ebikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
HELP!

Im going around in circles here trying to select the right tires for my levo comp.

I want max grip posable :) and tubeless

I just don't know what to use
Have you considered reading the thread you've posted in?

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Currently running 2.8(27.5) recon+ and looking to change the front to a 2.6.

Wil I even notice the difference? Bike runs 40mm rims so I doubt I could go any smaller.

Oh and at 70kg I run tyre pressure at 19psi.

Last edited:

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
OK so something I don't understand (alright something else I don't understand)

If i'm on 40mm rims and I want to reduce tyre size, should I go for a 2.6 or a 2.5WT, which would suit the wider rim better?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it depends. You haven't bothered to say which tyres you're talking about. I'm guessing Maxxis as you've said WT but even then it's not really helpful unless someone happens to have both exat tyres you are talking about and the width of rim you're asking about (slim to no chance). as there's no actual standardisation between tyre casing sizes, not even within one brand and certainly not between different brands.
If you want to run 2.5 tyres at decent pressures 25-30mm rim is ideal IMO
Only go wider if you're going for fatbike style float as well as increased grip from low pressures rather than the good sidewall support you'd get running a narrower rim and higher pressures.
and If you want to smash rocks use dual ply DH casings and appropriate tyre pressures. (even with inserts)
AFAIK there was very little difference if any in casing size when Maxxis went from the latest 2.5 to 2.5WT. the (slight) difference was seemingly in the tread sizing/spacing for use on wider rims. previous to 2014ish maxxis 2.5s moulds were undersized and closer to a 2.35 if actually measured.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
it depends. You haven't bothered to say which tyres you're talking about. I'm guessing Maxxis as you've said WT but even then it's not really helpful unless someone happens to have both exat tyres you are talking about and the width of rim you're asking about (slim to no chance). as there's no actual standardisation between tyre casing sizes, not even within one brand and certainly not between different brands.
If you want to run 2.5 tyres at decent pressures 25-30mm rim is ideal IMO
Only go wider if you're going for fatbike style float as well as increased grip from low pressures rather than the good sidewall support you'd get running a narrower rim and higher pressures.
and If you want to smash rocks use dual ply DH casings and appropriate tyre pressures. (even with inserts)
AFAIK there was very little difference if any in casing size when Maxxis went from the latest 2.5 to 2.5WT. the (slight) difference was seemingly in the tread sizing/spacing for use on wider rims. previous to 2014ish maxxis 2.5s moulds were undersized and closer to a 2.35 if actually measured.
OK so if bothered to tell you that I wasn't specific in tyre as I don't know if brand matters, but let's assume for a moment it does (I don't know hence the question). I have Maxxis tyres already (2.8 on 40mm rims), I don't want to change rims but I would like to go smaller on the tyre. Do you think I would get any issues running the smaller rubber on the wider rim. I expect the tyre will be 'squarer' as it needs to span the wider rim. WT casings state 'optimised' for 30-35mm rims, the 2.6 don't quote.

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That first sentence was quite hard to read. :oops:
Issues?
No. not really. The only "problem" you'll encounter running a 2.5 on a 40mm rim is having to run higher pressures and the profile of the tyre changing slightly from that same tyre on a 25-30mm rim. and possibly exposing the sidewalls to damage in ruts or glancing rocks
These aren't exactly first world problems, you'll adjust to both. The set-up just isn't the absolute ideal one. Choosing the wrong tread for your riding style and conditions would be far more of an issue for the average rider.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Just swapped out my front Stock Butcher 2.6 for the Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 for the muddy months ahead. Only a slightly thinner profile as expected but defo looks like a more substantial grip and tyre overall. (The Butchers are so limp on removal)

Took a couple of goes to seat it properly but once it did.....christ..the loudest snap of tyre on rim I've ever heard on a tyre fit!!

I am getting a slight bit of sealant bleed on the rim/tyre at the bottom of the wheel even after several hours and a couple of short test rides. Will this seal overnight etc or do I have a problem?

Looking at going with a Hans Dampf 2.35 for the rear but will hold off to check the front holds pressure ok.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
That first sentence was quite hard to read. :oops:
Issues?
No. not really. The only "problem" you'll encounter running a 2.5 on a 40mm rim is having to run higher pressures and the profile of the tyre changing slightly from that same tyre on a 25-30mm rim. and possibly exposing the sidewalls to damage in ruts or glancing rocks
These aren't exactly first world problems, you'll adjust to both. The set-up just isn't the absolute ideal one. Choosing the wrong tread for your riding style and conditions would be far more of an issue for the average rider.
Thanks for that. Mmmm my grasp of English left me there for a while (note to self, stop doing two or three re-writes).

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
What are the experts thoughts on Continental tires? Is the Baron Project a good tire for fall/winter conditions? Or better stick to Magic Marry oder Maxxis Minion?

I'm still undecided what to do. Both tires got some wear because of high speed road sections and also some downhill gravel sections. So I might drop both tires and keep them for spring next year.

Really looking forwad in trying out something new compared to the Magic Marry and Nobby Nic.

Help:unsure:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Minnion DHF 29" 2.5 at the rear and Shorty 29" 2.5 at the front.
Testing on Sunday at the meet at Swinley.
Hopefully they would be the ones :p

2019levo.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles