What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Former? Where (and when) did he say that?
This is from 2015 (and I believe still current)
Maxxis Tyres - Everything you need to know
"
"Dual compound – 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs."

"
Dual compound vs. 3C compound? Maxxis- Mtbr.com
Compound could have been changed in about 2014/2015 though. In 2017 he said "former".

But according to your link, the MaxxTerra 3c and Dual doesn't have the same outer compound.
Dual Compound – 51a/60a
3C Maxx Terra - 70a/42a/50a

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Compound could have been changed in about 2014/2015 though. In 2017 he said "former".
The entire Maxxis range was changed in 2014/5. Treads remained the same (other than a few new designs) but everything else including the renaming of the Sizing/compounds/casings changed. The only old standard tyres left in Maxxis range are their 26" tyres and even they are now conforming to the new standards/branding.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
HI have MM on the front and Hans D on the back and 220 miles in they are looking very worn and I suspect only have 100 miles left - is this normal for soft compound on an ebike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Probably stop riding soft compound tyres up and down the road at Cheddar gorge.

The soft compound and agressive tread is for added grip in technical steep fast loose muddy wet conditions not tarmac

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The Michelin wild mud was getting some good praise in the extremely muddy conditions last weekend , not too expensive iether .
I Certainly found the limits of my butcher on the front very quickly

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
my MM holds the mud and doesnt shed when I hit 20!
my BS-ometer just exploded
P-17047-TKrjKErtpr-1.gif

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Any suggestion for a 2019 Levo in commuting setup? Mainly asphalt roads and a short gravel section. 2,6" width 29" is prefered (=larger diameter), as there is no hack available yet and I have to use stock settings :-(.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Does anyone know if the Butcher 29 x 2.6 Blck Dmnd is higher than the GRID version? My LBS put the Blck Dmnd on my 29er rims as rear tyre, amazing grip, can use it with 20 psi or even below, but the distance to the motor is extremly low (around 2mm). Up to now no issues but it would be interesting to know if the GRID version would fit more easily. With 20 psi height is around 59mm. Thanks!
The blk dmnd’s are meant to fall in between the grid and dh casing I believe. I haven’t seen final weights yet but they should be around 1100g . Similar to maxxis dd , Michelin wr2’s, Wild enduro’s, Onza fr/end. Some nice width options with them. I wish the Michelin’s had more width options. Wild rockr2 front/wild enduro rear is my fave combo atm

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
The Michelin wild mud was getting some good praise in the extremely muddy conditions last weekend , not too expensive iether .
I Certainly found the limits of my butcher on the front very quickly
Have just removed the Butchers as they were not able to cope with the mud and rocky stuff in the peak district trails. I fitted the Magic Mary's and its a totally different ride. They just eat through the terrain and hold really well on downhill stuff. They have very stiff protected side walls and hoping they will last for a good while.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Have just removed the Butchers as they were not able to cope with the mud and rocky stuff in the peak district trails. I fitted the Magic Mary's and its a totally different ride. They just eat through the terrain and hold really well on downhill stuff. They have very stiff protected side walls and hoping they will last for a good while.
That’s good to hear , I was thinking the butchers were similar to the Mary but have been a bit disappointed in the wet and mud . Have to keep it for next summer then ?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Out if interest... what type of MM’s did you go for front and back?

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Out if interest... what type of MM’s did you go for front and back?
I got the same for front and back. It was the ultrasoft compound Down Hill 2.6". I don't know how they will wear yet but the difference in tyre structure is pronounced. When you take off the Butchers it flops to the ground in a heap. The MM was solid standing on its own so its a completely different tyre. I'm not an expert by the way.

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
That’s good to hear , I was thinking the butchers were similar to the Mary but have been a bit disappointed in the wet and mud . Have to keep it for next summer then ?
I'll let you know how they wear and if they keep up the performance as they do wear down.

mike tatt

Oct 11, 2018
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Hi

Quick Question - probably a bit noobish -

Does Hard tail / F-Suspension make a difference to tyre choice.

I’m riding a 2016 Giant Hardtail - Dirt E
With Specialized Purgatory grids (2.35) - running tubeless

Need to upgrade as

1. Tyres are getting very worn -
2. I live in the NW UK - and winter is coming - and it’s going to be muddy - very muddy - so need something with more bite.
3. I’ve picked up riding again (for 18 months or so) after too long a break - my skills are improving and I’m hitting the limits of the current tyres pretty regularly - sharper faster turns - front sliding out etc

Thinking of Magic M’s for the front - they seen a decent and well regarded go to tyre and not a bad price when discounted. (still not sure about Snakeskin vs Super Gravity though - the Grids have pretty solid walls which seem to help given the extra weight of the bike/ lower pressures etc - but I’m certainly no expert.)

Not sure about the rear though

Obviously need good grip - especially through the mud and steeper wet trails - but I do like the twitchy nature of the back end - It’s helped me learn much better control - (and sometimes makes me feel like I’m living on the edge lol )

Do the usual recommendations for Minions / Butchers / Hans D’ hold for a hardtail -

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hi

Quick Question - probably a bit noobish -

Does Hard tail / F-Suspension make a difference to tyre choice.

I’m riding a 2016 Giant Hardtail - Dirt E
With Specialized Purgatory grids (2.35) - running tubeless

Need to upgrade as

1. Tyres are getting very worn -
2. I live in the NW UK - and winter is coming - and it’s going to be muddy - very muddy - so need something with more bite.
3. I’ve picked up riding again (for 18 months or so) after too long a break - my skills are improving and I’m hitting the limits of the current tyres pretty regularly - sharper faster turns - front sliding out etc

Thinking of Magic M’s for the front - they seen a decent and well regarded go to tyre and not a bad price when discounted. (still not sure about Snakeskin vs Super Gravity though - the Grids have pretty solid walls which seem to help given the extra weight of the bike/ lower pressures etc - but I’m certainly no expert.)

Not sure about the rear though

Obviously need good grip - especially through the mud and steeper wet trails - but I do like the twitchy nature of the back end - It’s helped me learn much better control - (and sometimes makes me feel like I’m living on the edge lol )

Do the usual recommendations for Minions / Butchers / Hans D’ hold for a hardtail -

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
For a hard tail especially I would go with the lighter carcass and fit an insert , like a rat bite , that will keep you light but very well puncture protected .
The medium Mary Orange line is less draggy than the super soft and not much less grip , plus it wears much better so grips well for longer .
Rear is less important if you like a bit of slip , you could even use your old pergatory from the front . Hans damph rear Is a common combination with a Mary front , and if the butcher is still going cheap it’s probably a good rear too , don’t be tempted to go fatter if it’s for mud

mike tatt

Oct 11, 2018
Worsthorne, Lancashire
For a hard tail especially I would go with the lighter carcass and fit an insert , like a rat bite , that will keep you light but very well puncture protected .
The medium Mary Orange line is less draggy than the super soft and not much less grip , plus it wears much better so grips well for longer .
Rear is less important if you like a bit of slip , you could even use your old pergatory from the front . Hans damph rear Is a common combination with a Mary front , and if the butcher is still going cheap it’s probably a good rear too , don’t be tempted to go fatter if it’s for mud

Appreciate your reply Kernow.

I am swapping the front purgatory to the back wheel - there's a bit of life in it - it's a decent tyre (just not great on the front for me) and tbh - my funds will only stretch to one replacement at the moment - fixing the front sketchiness is the priority.
(New rear when the usual car MoT/ Insurance/ Tax etc etc is paid for)

Also sticking to relatively narrow tyres - the Mary's are available in 2.35 - should be great for the local conditions - I like the look of the chubbier tyres - but prefer function over form.

I'm edging towards the Mary superG's in Orange at the moment - It's a tyre - on a wheel - with gloop for tubeless - tech that I understand.

Not sure about tyre inserts - probably as I've never had chance to use them and don't know much about them either - they were never on my radar - I'm certainly no luddite - so will have a look at these.

BUT - would I be right in thinking therefore that I could use the Mary Snakeskin with inserts (RatBites or similar) and get similar performance as the Mary Super G's - but with less weight.

Thanks again for your response
Mike

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Appreciate your reply Kernow.

I am swapping the front purgatory to the back wheel - there's a bit of life in it - it's a decent tyre (just not great on the front for me) and tbh - my funds will only stretch to one replacement at the moment - fixing the front sketchiness is the priority.
(New rear when the usual car MoT/ Insurance/ Tax etc etc is paid for)

Also sticking to relatively narrow tyres - the Mary's are available in 2.35 - should be great for the local conditions - I like the look of the chubbier tyres - but prefer function over form.

I'm edging towards the Mary superG's in Orange at the moment - It's a tyre - on a wheel - with gloop for tubeless - tech that I understand.

Not sure about tyre inserts - probably as I've never had chance to use them and don't know much about them either - they were never on my radar - I'm certainly no luddite - so will have a look at these.

BUT - would I be right in thinking therefore that I could use the Mary Snakeskin with inserts (RatBites or similar) and get similar performance as the Mary Super G's - but with less weight.

Thanks again for your response
Mike
On the front you don’t need the heavy carcass , just tubeless has always generally done the job . Inserts are kind of belt and braces in the front , but yes the combination is still much lighter than a heavy downhill carcass . If you not prone to killing front tyres then just fit the mary normal tubeless I am guessing you’ve had no puncture problems with the purgatory grid , which is a similar wieght

mike tatt

Oct 11, 2018
Worsthorne, Lancashire
On the front you don’t need the heavy carcass , just tubeless has always generally done the job . Inserts are kind of belt and braces in the front , but yes the combination is still much lighter than a heavy downhill carcass . If you not prone to killing front tyres then just fit the mary normal tubeless I am guessing you’ve had no puncture problems with the purgatory grid , which is a similar wieght

Thanks for the info. The purgatories have been pretty bomb proof - usual scuffs and scratches - the rear burped a couple of times when I long dropped onto rocks - down to my crap riding / bad timing rather than the tyres though - and the rear grip is pretty low now.

The front has some life in it - so - as mentioned it's going on the back

If the weight of the normal Mary's is similar to the purgatories - extra bonus I suppose as the overall balance of the bike should be about the same (grip excepted of course) - and they are on offer at Tredz ! !

Cheers
Mike

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yes.
25-30mm is ideal for 2.35-2.6
Folk overthink this massively.

Thanks, thought i'd deleted that post. I checked the Enve site and they are on 26mm inner width, made for 2.3-2.4 tyres, so i think i'll stick with the MM 2.35 and not the 2.6. It works!

I know if i lose the front end with a MM 2.35, i've done something wrong and can learn/remember why. If having more grip with a 2.6 masks this, you'll never learn. That's my thinking. :D and the new 29 MM 2.6 is nearly double the price. :oops:

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Any suggestion for a 2019 Levo in commuting setup? Mainly asphalt roads and a short gravel section. 2,6" width 29" is prefered (=larger diameter), as there is no hack available yet and I have to use stock settings :-(.
The LBS pointed me in the right direction : beach tires Schwalbe G-One Speed 29x2,3" will do the trick.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks, thought i'd deleted that post. I checked the Enve site and they are on 26mm inner width, made for 2.3-2.4 tyres, so i think i'll stick with the MM 2.35 and not the 2.6. It works!

I know if i lose the front end with a MM 2.35, i've done something wrong and can learn/remember why. If having more grip with a 2.6 masks this, you'll never learn. That's my thinking. :D and the new 29 MM 2.6 is nearly double the price. :oops:
I lost the front end on Minions yesterday. I think my tyre pressure was around 35-40psi after sealing the new (lighter, dual compound) tyres. Couldn’t find my tyre pressure guage so just rode with them as they were. Not used to tyres at that pressure.

Let a load of pressure from them after my fall and got back and there was still 26 psi in the front.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles