What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Who is the tyre expert here? :LOL:
What are the tyre options with the exact sizes that i have for my 2019 Cube Action Team Stereo Hybrid 160?

Current stock setup is:
Rims>Newmen Evolution SL E.35, 28/28 Spokes, 15x110mm / 12x148mm, Tubeless Ready
Tyres: Front -> Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.60, Addix Soft, Tubeless Easy, Super Gravity
Back-> Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.60, Addix Speedgrip, Tubeless Easy, Super Gravity

Cheers!

Btw, in case you ask why i would want to switch to a different tyre setup, nothing is wrong with these tyres. I cant really say if they are good or not. I simply might want to try out something new for the fall/winter to see which tyres work better for the muddy and cold situations here in southern germany.
I might also leave them on until they are finished. Still i am interested in my options for these wheels and bike.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Who is the tyre expert here? :LOL:
What are the tyre options that i have for my 2019 Cube Action Team Stereo Hybrid 160?

Current stock setup is:
Rims>Newmen Evolution SL E.35, 28/28 Spokes, 15x110mm / 12x148mm, Tubeless Ready
Tyres: Front -> Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.60, Addix Soft, Tubeless Easy, Super Gravity
Back-> Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.60, Addix Speedgrip, Tubeless Easy, Super Gravity

Cheers!

Btw, in case you ask why i would want to switch to a different tyre setup, nothing is wrong with these tyres. I cant really say if they are good or not. I simply might want to try out something new for the fall/winter to see which tyres work better for the muddy and cold situations here in southern germany.
I might also leave them on until they are finished. Still i am interested in my options for these wheels and bike.
I'd leave the front as is if you like it for your mud conditions. but your rear tyre choice could do with some work if it gets really muddy. (another MM if really muddy, DHRII if you prefer something more intermediate... Hans dampf if you are one of those must match brands f&r guys)
also, I'd also take time to think about whether your trails/riding's really so puncture prone you need Super gravity casings? Worth thinking about, tyre weight on these bikes does make a huge difference to handling.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Def wouldn't want a 2.8 in the mud.
Whether you go 2.3 or 2.5 generally depends on the terrain and mud type

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’ve got 2.8 useless in the Peak District mud and peat just floats over the top, you just can’t place the front.

I’m thinking of a narrow tire for winter, maybe a 2.5 but I’m not sure how these will shape up on the 40mm rims the bike comes with?

Not sure in a narrower winter wheel set would be better.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They'll just be much squarer profile than if mounted to a 25mm rim (25-30mm being optimum IME).
You'll either love or hate that when transitioning from the centre tread to the edge tread (er... cornering). I like a fairly square tyre profile as leant over properly it gives a real defined edge to bite in and rail.
plenty folk don't like (or even use) that though.

FWIW (and only as an example of size/shape) I'm running a 2.3 maxxis minion SS on a rear 35mm rim. it's not my ideal combination as it exposes the sidewalls a little more but it works just fine.

E-ChL

Oct 14, 2018
Los Angeles California.
So I’ve used only Specialized plus sized tyres, 3.0 Pergatory and 2.8 Butcher. Butchers seem quite a bit stiffer, less corner roll. Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres and will be interesting to see what we can get in the 2.8 sizes in the future. With EMTB’s gaining popularity I’m sure we will see an ever growing selection of plus-sized rubber :LOL:

View attachment 1143 [/QUOTE

Later than I try. Huntchinson toro 2.8 , butcher originales 2.8 , butcher grid 2.6, high rollers 2.8 , magic Mary 2.6 , I stay with

Front:

Magic Mary 2.6
Butcher Grid 2.6
Shorty dh 2.4

Rear
Butcher Grid 2.6

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ve just got some Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHF II and 2.4 DHR II on the Levo.

The stock 2.6 Butcher isn’t much bigger at all than the 2.4 DHR II.

These are the DH compound (they were supplied on a set of test wheels that DT Swiss have given me, the HX 1501’s).

The tyres are ridiculously grippy and probably way too burly for my riding, so I might replace them with Eco casing at some point.

D8DDB934-C6EF-4478-9741-05AF8ACDD61A.jpeg

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom

These are the DH compound (they were supplied on a set of test wheels that DT Swiss have given me, the HX 1501’s).

The tyres are ridiculously grippy and probably way too burly for my riding, so I might replace them with Eco casing at some point.

View attachment 6367

29”?

That bike in the pictures looks looooong.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

View attachment 6367

Can you put your dropper up and repost the photo please Rob? ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tyre valves should be at 6'oclock too - Rob your supposed tube setting the standards here!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
And the text on the tyres should be in line with the valves.

Sloppy Hancill, sloppy.

Gordon

Oct 18, 2018
Porto Portugal
I've been running Specialized Slaughter 2.8 on my Tubo Levo FSR 6Fatti all summer. They are excellent in dry conditions, especially on hard rock, and simply fantastic in loose sand compared to every other tire I've ever used. I was considering switching to a smaller front chain ring for a 400km ride with my MTB group so I could keep up with the other guys on the flat/road sections because of the 29kph speed limit cut-out. The Slaughters were a better solution. I not only free-roll faster going downhill than anyone else in my group, I can pedal just as fast on almost all the flat sections with the factory speed limit set to 2000cm wheel size. They are also noticeably more precise on the technical sections than the original Butchers. I run them tubeless with Stan's gel and I've had no flats or cuts after 1200km of trail riding. Now that the wet weather is here I notice they tend to slide in the mud, so I'll go back to the Butcher 2.8 for the winter months - the best of both worlds.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Great. Thanks!!
I’m going to change the DH casing tyres. They’re super grippy but heavy! I think they’re about 1.25 KG.

@Gary do you know which is the next one down in terms of casing? It’s bloody confusing looking at their range. (Someone in their marketing dept needs to simplify it!).

Need more of a trail tyre instead of DH.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey @Rob Hancill

Casing strength/thickness with maxxis goes (in descending order of toughness and weight)
Dual ply > DD> EXO > single ply

Add to that Butyl inserts and silkworm in some tyres. both are an exrtra (but light) layer of sidewall support above the bead to help stop pinch flats
Also pay attn to tubeless or non tubeless casings, wire or kevlar beads when looking into weights.

Where you ride and for a rider of your weight EXOs at a decent pressure will be fine. a 2.5 EXO is between 700-800g (dependent on tread patern)

IMO 3C MAXXGRIP is total overkill for where you ride too. But that's debatable.
I can't stand the drag from proper soft compound tyres unless on a DH race bike that is only uplifted/pushed anywhere other than a down DH tracks

Ps. it used to be really simple. Maxxis used to just have Dual or single ply casings, 40a Slowreezay 42a Supertacky and 50a or 60a MAXXpro compounds
The (a) number was the durometer, lower the number softer and gripier the rubber.
3C was 42a centre tread 40a side tread, 60a base rubber (for stiffness/support).
Their new range is a nightmare to understand and most bikeshops (even good ones) don't.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's entirely up to you Rob. I ride dual compound front and rear on my Ebike 60a centre/50a edge and have zero problems riding the most technical DH/enduro in the country in all weathers. (But I'm also happy riding a hardtail with even less grip the same places)
3Cs have a stiffer base rubber but it's the same deal as the dual comps for the grip rubbers
MAXXSPEED is slightly softer than my dualcomps, then it's MAXXTERRA, then the gripiest draggiest is MAXXGRIP
I don't remember the exact durometers but I think MAXXGRIP is still 40a/42a centre/edge

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's entirely up to you Rob. I ride dual compound front and rear on my Ebike 60a centre/50a edge and have zero problems riding the most technical DH/enduro in the country in all weathers. (But I'm also happy riding a hardtail with even less grip the same places)
3Cs have a stiffer base rubber but it's the same deal as the dual comps for the grip rubbers
MAXXSPEED is slightly softer than my dualcomps, then it's MAXXTERRA, then the gripiest draggiest is MAXXGRIP
I don't remember the exact durometers but I think MAXXGRIP is still 40a/42a centre/edge
Thanks. I’ll keep looking, don’t want to be over tyred (with extra drag / weight) unnecessarily. I’ll take a look at the dual compounds (if I can actually work out which one is which from the vague codes descriptions!)

Folding Dual Exo TR seems like it might suit my rides more.

Maxxis Minion DHF Tyre

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Folding Dual Exo TR seems like it might suit my rides more.
That's what I run upfront. (don't blindly choose what I do though, try different compounds sticking to a tread you know well, and feel the difference for yourself)
plenty folk will tell you they're lethal and too hard a compound. it's bollocks though. 70a is about what an XC racing tyre used to be and those guys don't exactly hang around anywhere.
Good lines, decent control and weight position is far more important... once you have all those absolutely dialed and start losing out on podiums by a second or two in national DH/Enduro races it's time to worry about your tyre compounds being too hard. ;)

The grippiest tyre in the world won't help if the rider doesn't have the confidence or skill to control where and at what speed it's taking them. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... and put the super grippy DH tyres aside somewhere dark and stick them on for mre challenging (uplifted DH etc,) days.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
The german forum emtb-news.de just released a test on Schwalbes e-bike specific tire "Eddy Current" which sounds like a good alternative to Magic Marry and Maxxis Minion and the like.

In case you are interested in the article and can read german or want to translaste, check the link below (they might post an english article at some point)

-> Eddy Current

It comes in the addix soft rubber compound and following sizes:
  • Front (27,5 x 2,80, 650B) / 62-622 (29 x 2,40) / 65-622 (29 x 2,60) – Super Gravity, TLE, Addix Soft, Black
  • Rear: 70-584 (27,5 x 2,80, 650B) / 65-622 (29 x 2,60) – Super Gravity, TLE, Addix Soft, Black
The rear has a really thick tyre tread which should give massive grip and the the thick walls should be very puncture resistant.

Whats interesting is that they rode the tyre with very low 1.1 bar (16psi) in front and 1,2 bar (17psi) in the back.

Pros:
-massive traction
-longevity
-stable carcass

Cons:
-heavy ( 1.250 g (Front, 29 x 2,4'')/ 1.350 g (rear, 27,5 x 2,8'')

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
bholwell (former maxxis tyre design/developer) says:
"The dual compound version is 62a center / 60a shoulder.

The 3C Maxx Terra version is 70a base layer / 50a center / 42a shoulder. it's considerably softer. It will wear faster and roll slower than the dual compound version, but it will have better grip on wet surfaces."

I rode the DHF/Rekon 2.6 2c recently. It worked surprisingly well on wet rocky/rooty trails. But for my trails I'll stick to 3c which is a nice compromise of firm knobs and grip.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just ordered the 29 Dual Exo. Thanks @Gary for the help.

I like the faster rolling tyres, the 29er Levo is slowed down by a fair margin with the soft DH Minion MaxxGrip heavy tyres.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Just got the new Butcher BLCK DMND in today at the shop and mounted up on my Kenevo. 250g more weight per tire!

Does anyone know if the Butcher 29 x 2.6 Blck Dmnd is higher than the GRID version? My LBS put the Blck Dmnd on my 29er rims as rear tyre, amazing grip, can use it with 20 psi or even below, but the distance to the motor is extremly low (around 2mm). Up to now no issues but it would be interesting to know if the GRID version would fit more easily. With 20 psi height is around 59mm. Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles