What tubeless repair kit gets your vote?

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Just gone tubeless and had the first ride out yesterday, carried the old tube in the backpack, and didn't realise there were specific tubeless repair kits..DOH!
So after searching on google there seems quite a few different ones available so here goes..
Whats everyone using / carrying ?

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
The last couple of rides i used hope and positive thoughs, i'll be watching this thread since that product has been unreliable in the past.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Aha, I just asked the same question in another thread, very interested to get some recommendations too...!

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
i rely on a good slug of stans juice in my tire - I havent had a flat in years so I dont even carry a pump or inner tube anymore.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
I use tubeless for almost 10 years, mostly with Maxxis DH tires and have had only one destroyed tire (my fault and not the tire) and one puncture from a big nail that was on a trail.

I also stopped carrying pump and tubes but I put an insert in the tire that gives me two very desirable functions
- protect the rim in case of strong impacts (I wrecked a lot of rims before using this)
- If I get a flat that the sealant can't cope with, I still can safely ride home just with the insert (it behaves like if I had around 8 or 9 psis in the tire).

What I use are the Mr Wolf banger inserts - for more than six months now - and I love it.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I should have said - I havent had a flat since 2005 but I have had dozens of punctures - thorns/nails ect and I dont even notice them until I clean the bike. I went tubless because I was tired of pinch punctures on my hard tail!

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
I should have said - I havent had a flat since 2005 but I have had dozens of punctures - thorns/nails ect and I dont even notice them until I clean the bike. I went tubless because I was tired of pinch punctures on my hard tail!

On tubeless with sealant, puctures that don't go flat are hardly noticeable lol, i just noticed them at home when I see a lot of small darket wet points on the tire.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
same here - but i still do carry in my backpack:
- pump, cause i often change my pressure a bit when going for longer up- or downhill sections. It's lightweight so i don't care. Also a tubeless repair kit or spare inner tube doesn't make sense if you don't have a pump with you.
- inner tube, cause i've seen (not much but a couple of) sliced tubeless tires and it's good to have a tube available then. It's heavy and it might be something i ditch in the future and install a Wolf Banger or Huck Norris. Though, i would always take it with me when riding in the alps or other far outside places, also to help others in need.
- inner tube repair set, it's ultralight and fit's in the box of the tubeless repair set, so i don't care and have it available when a non-tubeless-rider needs it, or i get a flat on my spare inner tube.
- tubeless repair set, it's ultralight, so what. I have many holes in my tire that got sealed successfully, it might just be a matter of time i get a hole that's too big to be sealed. It's that one - guess they all work the same?

A note on tubeless milk:
Don't fill in too less of the milk (don't believe what's written on the package - for the Doc Blue milk they say 60ml), especially if your system-weight is a bit heavier and also if you don't want to check & refill the milk every 3 months. The more heavier means more punctures, means more milk is used to seal them. Also sometimes your tires hit something in an angle, that forces the tire off the rim a bit (sideways) and air and milk gets out.
Call me extreme, but I've put in the whole can (500ml) in my 2 wheels and don't have to care about it until i change the tires and even then i can re-use the milk in the new tire.
But of course, it's depending on riding style and the trails you ride. Rough stuff, jumps and a bit more focused on shredding downhill i would tend to more milk. If you don't ride the rough stuff and try to optimize weight wherever possible = less milk.

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Still using the rat bites , we had a very rocky ride last night , 2 flats and a a big burp of fluid in the group of 6 all on the same Rocky gulley , I hit it too so hard I was expecting damage but the rat bites saved me , not even a burp £18 a tyre why wouldn’t you use them
Giant do a great little tubeless repair kit of tyre worms / dog turds etc whatever you call them good price too

Elroy

Apr 8, 2018
California
Sometimes i get thorns that release air and sealant in a stream that takes a few minutes to seal. It can require inflation or several inflations before it seals. So i carry a really small pump and a tube just in case. I think sealant stops working correctly after a few months so i try to replace periodically using the small unopened bottles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles