Tubeless conversion kit

Gazbomb

Sep 11, 2021
Essex
Hi get my new cube reaction this week want to go tubeless what kit should I get not sure what size valves will I need.cheers for your feedback

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I went with the mucoff kit
The cube reaction comes with Alex 30mm rims - so they're 30mm inside diameter (or at least mine did you might want to check but I assume they're still 29 x 2.6 tyres)

Muc-Off Ultimate Tubeless Setup Kit For Tubeless Ready Bikes, DH Wide - Includes Rim Tape, Seal Patches, Tubeless Valves And Tyre Sealant : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

So you need the DH/Enduro kit

However I didn't use the tape - I used gorilla tape
Loads say don't because it's hard to get off (it is, it took me a whole afternoon to remove it off the 2nd hand bike I bought and re-apply lol), and it's not properly air tight till the sealant seals it up yaddah blah blah

BUT the tubeless tape that comes in the kits is REALLY hard to get into the deep rim without creasing, I've tried 3 times and never managed to do it without it leaking through the spokes. Gorilla tape however is a piece of piss and my 3 bikes never go down or leak air.

Gorilla tape handy roll is what you want - Gorilla Tubeless rim sealing tape 9m x 25mm : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
In which case you could possibly buy just the mucoff valves and sealant seperately to save a bit of cash, but I doubt it'd be much as the valves cost a fortune alone

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the Gorilla tape. Yes it can be hard to remove, but use petrol and a rag. Outside of course!!!

But the worst thing is that the Gorilla glue can ooze out and glue your tyres to the rim! Now that can be an absolute bar-steward of a problem, requiring a vice and two heroes heaving away and hoping your wheel won't bend. I know it goes on easy and looks great (I used it for years), but AVOID.

• Haha
Reactions: Zed

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I’ve used 25m tape on 30mm rims. So it’s nowhere near the tyre bead.
That sounds like hell though

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
My 2c... I've always used Stans tape and valves and more recently their advice of getting I think it's 3mm wider than ID (double check their advice). Narrower works OK too though.
The trick with Stans and similar non-adhesive tape is to keep a lot of tension on it as it contacts the wheel, so once fitted it's kind of like a rubber band, pulling itself taught. I have it clamped into the rim with left hand thumb, unwind a large piece and pull it taught, and roll the wheel and guide the tape evenly down into the rim, then shuffle the anchoring hand along, repeat. No doubt there's videos to describe it much better but the key is tension, it avoids the creasing and with a little practice/luck you can get a factory-looking fit. Sometimes :)

Gazbomb

Sep 11, 2021
Essex
My 2c... I've always used Stans tape and valves and more recently their advice of getting I think it's 3mm wider than ID (double check their advice). Narrower works OK too though.
The trick with Stans and similar non-adhesive tape is to keep a lot of tension on it as it contacts the wheel, so once fitted it's kind of like a rubber band, pulling itself taught. I have it clamped into the rim with left hand thumb, unwind a large piece and pull it taught, and roll the wheel and guide the tape evenly down into the rim, then shuffle the anchoring hand along, repeat. No doubt there's videos to describe it much better but the key is tension, it avoids the creasing and with a little practice/luck you can get a factory-looking fit. Sometimes :)
Hi was hoping I could get away with not applying the tape as on website it says rims are tubless ready or is this just wishful thinking

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Hi was hoping I could get away with not applying the tape as on website it says rims are tubless ready or is this just wishful thinking
Haha, that's very wishful thinking. what Makes them tubeless ready I believe is to do with the rim profile shape, so the tyre and rim hook onto each other.

Here are my 'reminder' notes that i use when changing a tyre, so I don't end up in a mess...

Tubeless tyre set up.

Clean rim with tar remover and/or alcohol spray.

Add rim tape. Start 4 inch over/past valve hole. Pull tight and press flat. Overlap start point and valve hole.

Install valve. Tiny hole and push in. Tighten.

Mount tyre.

Use tyre lever to pull out bead towards edge of rim. Halfway around on each side. ( Really important!)

Remove the valve core and pump it up to 50psi. Pump quickly using track/floor pump.

Release the air out and put sealant in with a syringe through the valve. (100ml stans)

put the valve core back in and pump it up to about 40psi, spin/shake/bounce the wheel in all directions.

Use soapy water to test for leaks around rim and spoke nipples

Leave tyre to rest horizontal on each side for 5 minutes

Leave over night.

Deflate to correct pressure.

Last edited:

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I fell for tubeless ready on that exact bike

What I found was the front wheel has gorilla tape installed from the factory (which makes it even weirder that everyone hates it) and the rear doesn’t lol

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
In all honesty after doing 5 bikes for people now if you’re unsure I’d just pay a LBS

It’s about £30 at mine to setup tubeless and it’s not really worth the day of faffing about trying to get the tyres to seat on for the first time to save the cost of a dominos?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Whenever I undertake a job on the bike or anything DIY. I always check out YouTube. You’ll find tons of tips and advise.

I bought a large air tank to inflate under pressure but now use a 16g air canister to pop the tyre on.

Good luck.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
In all honesty after doing 5 bikes for people now if you’re unsure I’d just pay a LBS

It’s about £30 at mine to setup tubeless and it’s not really worth the day of faffing about trying to get the tyres to seat on for the first time to save the cost of a dominos?
I fit my own tyres and then buy a domino's?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles