What other 170mm + travel e-bikes are out there.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Hey team,

As you can see in a couple of my first posts on this forum I'm interested in a Pole Voima which is 190/190mm travel. Before I hit send on ordering one of these i'd like to explore if I missed any other bikes on the market that I should look it.

To begin with I am a carbon slut and a weight weenie. I prefer a lighter bike and will go to reasonable lengths to make a bike as light as practical. However I will not compromise performance for weight savings.

My perfect wish list would be a a mullet set up 180/200mm travel e-bike appropriately slack in the 20-23kg range with carbon frame with removable battery with battery options 600-750wh.

I do a lot of hikeabike and lift over many fences. So lighter is better. My daughter has an Orbea Rise and at 20kg which is easily chuckable over a fence. 25kg bikes are just that much heavier. That said have decided than I want full power and the option to replace batteries midway through the day and I see little point having a 20+kg bike that has less descending ability than my 14kg slayer.

I typically ride super steep tight natural tech as a preference. I'm also chasing my 14yo boy on jumps and drops on flow trails. some of that stuff is getting BIG. Like crankworks DH track big.

The bike I get in the perfect world can run down a world class dh track and hit super tight steep tech.

What I have discovered is that most of the carbon options sit in the 160mm range and are Typically full 29er with a bb too low to then mullet it.

These are the bikes I have considered thus far.

YT Decoy. Almost ideal. It is mullet and carbon, Battery to small however. I'd like more travel. Pricing is competitive.

Uno Mith, Wont ship to nz. I really like this bike, but it is a bit light on rear travel, Its also getting into dentist pricing to import.

Orbea wild 2023 was at the top of the pile for a while. But the non removable battery, high price and its only 160 rear kind of kill it for me. I'd want to 180 the front and mullet the back which which make the geo go out of kilter.

Yeti, santacruz, pivot are dentist prices $20+k nzd for decent build so they our.
A bullet really appeals. But it's just too pricey.

Whyte is too heavy and alloy. I was interested in a Scott Ransom Eride. Reviews are good. But they are discontinued and not available in NZ. Plus its a bit heavy.

The closest option I have found is the Specialized Kenevo and then slap a 29er fork and wheel on the front. These are still pricey in NZ and made more so by the time i slap an extra fork/wheel on. But i've been, by several people, advices against specialized e-bikes because of repeated motor failures. Plus I really don't like the yoke style suspension design.

So I come back to the Pole Voima, 190/190 with a dh rating.
It's alloy which isn't my preference. But reviews are good and the funky looks , CNC machined 2 piece construction appeal to the engineer in me.

I must admit, I'm watching the failed switch arm warrantee claim closely. If I do purchase the Voima I will be riding it full pace down downhill tracks. It wont be getting a sedate life of trail riding. One of the reasons I like carbon is that I can repair carbon frames if I break them. Glued 7075-T6 frames.... no so much.

Your thoughts and ideas appreciated

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Carbon? No.....Light?...no................but who wants a fragile light carbon bike to throw down rocky descents? Forget the rest and go for the best bike for the job.............Whyte E180 RSMX :D

E180 RSX MX.JPG

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Pole Pole Pole .... but to try and be more objective ....

Your profile says you're from Kiwi land, so I'll answer with video's as you probably have a beer in your hand.

I'll try and stick with Rob Rides options, merely for consistency.

Some options ..

Personally, I like the Jam2 (despite having a preference for 180mm bikes) It just rides better than it should, despite the weight (Does feel like you're hefting something HEAVY around when you're not on it). So there's the Sam2 (longer travel) .. New versions just out.

Some more info :

You were interested in the Mith, so another exotic option : (From Sam's .. think there is a Rob one, but was too lazy too look)

Also slightly off the normal option list, the Fulgar Mula (170/160) :

Back to the Focus option again .. this one was a bit of a re-build .. but if you went that way, you end up with a longer Jam and Rob got the weight down on this example :

And the Kenevo option re-visited .. it really is a well balanced and capable bike with good weight specs when all considered :

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I love my Turbo Levo with the Cascade Component's long travel link installed (bumped up to 170mm F-R), still pretty poppy but soaks up my piloting errors quite well, and they are on sale (the Levos)

20230311_122548.jpg

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Carbon? No.....Light?...no................but who wants a fragile light carbon bike to throw down rocky descents? Forget the rest and go for the best bike for the job.............Whyte E180 RSMX :D

View attachment 109679
Carbon has a real advantage for me. That is I can fix it if I break it.
Sure there are warrantee claims. However most of the damage I have inflicted on bikes has been rider induced muppetry.

I cracked and fixed one of my slayers 3 years ago. I made it stronger and now its my big hit huck slayer.
If I commit to alloy I wont be able to perform those sorts of repairs/improvements.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
Honestly the Pole rides so dang good!! I was on a decoy and a gen3 Levo before the Pole, and this thing somehow is just as fun and poppy as the decoy but with 190/190 and a Bosch 750 system. I’m the dude that broke his and still would buy again in a heartbeat.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Honestly the Pole rides so dang good!! I was on a decoy and a gen3 Levo before the Pole, and this thing somehow is just as fun and poppy as the decoy but with 190/190 and a Bosch 750 system. I’m the dude that broke his and still would buy again in a heartbeat.
It's still on the top of the list.... but I'm searching the interweb to see what I've missed a d if anything might suit better.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I also would love to have a bike that is good for tresspassing fences and jumping doubles, light and rampage capable, cheap and hitech, even better if it could ride me back in time just 20 years….
We can all dream..... Ps most of my fence lifting is on town rides so not trespassing.....

But I might sneak over the occassional naughty fence.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Pole Pole Pole .... but to try and be more objective ....

Your profile says you're from Kiwi land, so I'll answer with video's as you probably have a beer in your hand.

I'll try and stick with Rob Rides options, merely for consistency.

Some options ..

Personally, I like the Jam2 (despite having a preference for 180mm bikes) It just rides better than it should, despite the weight (Does feel like you're hefting something HEAVY around when you're not on it). So there's the Sam2 (longer travel) .. New versions just out.

Some more info :

You were interested in the Mith, so another exotic option : (From Sam's .. think there is a Rob one, but was too lazy too look)

Also slightly off the normal option list, the Fulgar Mula (170/160) :

Back to the Focus option again .. this one was a bit of a re-build .. but if you went that way, you end up with a longer Jam and Rob got the weight down on this example :

And the Kenevo option re-visited .. it really is a well balanced and capable bike with good weight specs when all considered :

Interesting. I'll dive into those reviews and check them out.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Fanfic bikes…..

2x Dh rigs on 200mm…. The higher Race spec and a lower Factory spec….

2x Super enduro on 190mm…. The Race spec and the Factory a lower spec…..

1x enduro on 180mm…..

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Fanfic bikes…..

2x Dh rigs on 200mm…. The higher Race spec and a lower Factory spec….

2x Super enduro on 190mm…. The Race spec and the Factory a lower spec…..

1x enduro on 180mm…..
I checked em out thanks. Not quite the geo or spec i'm looking at.

Last edited:

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
Im looking for something similar in spec as well, not a ton to choose from, a shuttle lt would be ideal but at $26k it’s nuts. i saw mondraker level r that looks good but alloy and heavier also non removeable battery but 11.5k at moment , others are a lot more for similar spec. I like norco range but doesn’t seem available. A few friends rate the reign (170/160) in the chunky stuff around here. Let us know how you go.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hey team,

As you can see in a couple of my first posts on this forum I'm interested in a Pole Voima which is 190/190mm travel. Before I hit send on ordering one of these i'd like to explore if I missed any other bikes on the market that I should look it.

To begin with I am a carbon slut and a weight weenie. I prefer a lighter bike and will go to reasonable lengths to make a bike as light as practical. However I will not compromise performance for weight savings.

My perfect wish list would be a a mullet set up 180/200mm travel e-bike appropriately slack in the 20-23kg range with carbon frame with removable battery with battery options 600-750wh.

I do a lot of hikeabike and lift over many fences. So lighter is better. My daughter has an Orbea Rise and at 20kg which is easily chuckable over a fence. 25kg bikes are just that much heavier. That said have decided than I want full power and the option to replace batteries midway through the day and I see little point having a 20+kg bike that has less descending ability than my 14kg slayer.

I typically ride super steep tight natural tech as a preference. I'm also chasing my 14yo boy on jumps and drops on flow trails. some of that stuff is getting BIG. Like crankworks DH track big.

The bike I get in the perfect world can run down a world class dh track and hit super tight steep tech.

What I have discovered is that most of the carbon options sit in the 160mm range and are Typically full 29er with a bb too low to then mullet it.

YT Decoy. Almost ideal. It is mullet and carbon, Battery to small however. I'd like more travel. Pricing is competitive.

Uno Mith, Wont ship to nz. I really like this bike, but it is a bit light on rear travel, Its also getting into dentist pricing to import.

Orbea wild 2023 was at the top of the pile for a while. But the non removable battery, high price and its only 160 rear kind of kill it for me. I'd want to 180 the front and mullet the back which which make the geo go out of kilter.

Yeti, santacruz, pivot are dentist prices $20+k nzd for decent build so they our.

Whyte is too heavy and alloy. I was interested in a Scott Ransom Eride. Reviews are good. But they are discontinued and not available in NZ. Plus its a bit heavy.

The closest option I have found is the Specialized Kenevo and then slap a 29er fork and wheel on the front. These are still pricey in NZ and made more so by the time i slap an extra fork/wheel on. But i've been, by several people, advices against specialized e-bikes because of repeated motor failures. Plus I really don't like the yoke style suspension design.

It's alloy which isn't my preference. But reviews are good and the funky looks , CNC machined 2 piece construction appeal to the engineer in me.

I must admit, I'm watching the failed switch arm warrantee claim closely. If I do purchase the Voima I will be riding it full pace down downhill tracks. It wont be getting a sedate life of trail riding. One of the reasons I like carbon is that I can repair carbon frames if I break them. Glued 7075-T6 frames.... no so much.

The Decoy is available with a 750wh battery.

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal
Hey team,

Crestline!

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo
Hey team,

The Husky HC are 180mm and they had one that was 200mm
Hey team,

Your thoughts and ideas appreciate
Hey team,

My

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo
My wife has a Husky HC LE that is 180mm 27.5 and they used to have a 200mm travel version as well, EP8 motor and 630 battery, it’s heavy but the motor makes up for the weight. My Intense Tazer is 52lbs and I can notice the weight lifting it on the rack.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Have a serious look at the Fulgur Mula (see video above) it's 160/170, but the suspension is incredible and I don't actually use as much of the travel on mine as I do on my Fox/Rockshox equipped bikes, despite the Fulgur being very much more plush. In the shock is a hydraulic bump stop damper, so it absorbs more bump energy deep in the stroke, so it never bottoms out despite being really plush. EXT now also do 180/190 forks if you ever managed to bottom the 170 out, but I haven't done so far, despite doing some stuff that's really well beyond my comfort zone. The truth is that it's so capable that it makes doing big stuff too easy, and you can go SO fast on rough, rocky stuff that it's just incredible.

On the downside, the Polini bottom motor covers are just crap. If you ride fast rocky stuff you'll be changing them almost daily. They are really cheap to replace but if they didn't break in the first place it would obviously be better.
I've got so fed up of changing them I've commissioned the manufacture of some robust carbon/kevlar ones, that also better protect the chainring too.

My second gripe is the speed sensor picks up from a magnet on a spoke, which is just ancient history stuff. That said, it's dead simple to change the sensor (for a Shimano one) and use a disc mounted magnet instead.

My bike originally had the internal range extender in the frame but I took it out to reduce the front end weight. If I need more range I use less motor and more pedal power. 500 is enough for my needs.

They now do an 'Evo' battery that allows an external extender, and they also do a new bike with an 880 internal battery.

The power setting adjustability is the best on any bike available, period.
There's five setting 'groups', with five levels in each group. Two groups are fully customisable. You can adjust how much effort is required for a given assistance, as well as how much max assistance, in each of the five levels as well as being able to adjust how much the motor runs on when you stop pedalling.

The other thing that's really nice is that when you get to the speed limit, it doesn't chop the assistance like other motors do, it blends out gradually so that you're not bobbing in and out of power, or having the rug whipped from under your feet when you don't want it.

One minor gripe with the electronics side is that it doesn't transmit ride data to external devices besides your Polini phone App. So if your nav is capable of recording your actual pedal power, cadence etc, it can't (yet) receive the data from the bike, despite the bike having Bluetooth to communicate with your phone.

I'm meeting with a Polini guy in a few weeks so I'm going to put some suggestions forward. They're a relatively small but forward thinking company (compared with Bosch/Shimano/Yamaha) so they might be receptive to feedback and ideas.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Absolutely believe more long travel bikes are needed. Currently riding my Moterra with a 200 mm boxer and modified pick up linkage which gives 185 in the rear. Huge improvement on standard 160 front and rear and that was with a well sorted suspension setup.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Absolutely believe more long travel bikes are needed. Currently riding my Moterra with a 200 mm boxer and modified pick up linkage which gives 185 in the rear. Huge improvement on standard 160 front and rear and that was with a well sorted suspension setup.
Indeed. Get above 170mm its crickets and tumble weed. Particularly for a lighter carbon option.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Whether increased travel is desirable (for example 160/160 vs 185/200 above) depends entirely on what the bike is to be used for.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Whether increased travel is desirable (for example 160/160 vs 185/200 above) depends entirely on what the bike is to be used for.
My aim was to have one bike that I could ride anywhere and everywhere. I think I have come very close to achieving that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles