What other 170mm + travel e-bikes are out there.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Here's another option.

E DH Rig. I could buy that as a throw a 29er send of fox 40's on the front EXT arma rear and a sent of carbon mullet hoops for some silly arse rig action.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Shimano though?
I'll admit I would prefer bosch, and if i can find a set up that suits i'll get a bosch powered unit. But its not until you are riding side by side on a shimano powered ebike that you notice that its not quite as grunty on the climbs to a bosch. I'm not racing so its really only bragging rights with mates on the climbs. On the downs i dont see any advantage in the bosch system.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
All I can
I'll admit I would prefer bosch, and if i can find a set up that suits i'll get a bosch powered unit. But its not until you are riding side by side on a shimano powered ebike that you notice that its not quite as grunty on the climbs to a bosch. I'm not racing so its really only bragging rights with mates on the climbs. On the downs i dont see any advantage in the bosch system.
Add is that I have had one battery drain ride on an ep8 and it went quite well although I personally far preferred the Bosch for a few reasons, one being sheer grunt that I did notice was missing on downhills on those occasions when you grunt out of corners. Also Bosch reliability and backup support would anecdotally appear superior at least here in NZ. On that note have just finished a ride in the redwoods and can confirm the dirt has never felt better

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
Best Ebike I’ve ever ridden.
The Cascade VPP is so dialed.
Loving Ohlins.
Bosch 750 wh race is 100% Legit.
I also have a Turbo Levo Gen 3.
I was pleasantly surprised how well the 7550 takes steep tight turns.

45BBF7F6-2F2A-4D61-90A1-1393B41E6F39.jpeg

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Best Ebike I’ve ever ridden.
The Cascade VPP is so dialed.
Loving Ohlins.
Bosch race is 100% Legit.
I also have a Turbo Levo Gen 3.
I was also pleasantly surprised how well the 7550 takes steep tight turns.

View attachment 110654
I really do like the look and spec of them. About the only thing I dont like I'd the leverage ratio. It uses a 230x65 for 175mm of travel. I like lower leverage ratios.

But that's a minor.

I'm really keen to here a more detailed report.

Ps I'm trying to figure out how I can import one into nz without the ridiculous freight and import charges. Its $4200 NZD to bring into nz. That takes it from almost possible to stupid o'clock money wise.

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
I really do like the look and spec of them. About the only thing I dont like I'd the leverage ratio. It uses a 230x65 for 175mm of travel. I like lower leverage ratios.

But that's a minor.

Ps I'm trying to figure out how I can import one into nz without the ridiculous freight and import charges. Its $4200 NZD to bring into nz. That takes it from almost possible to stupid o'clock money wise.
Bummer about the freight charges!
Ive been riding the bike in steep chunk.
it’s so fun.
It’s being ride wrapped this week.more to come

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz

But that's a minor.

Yes I would also like to know a way around the prohibitive import costs. Also what is the downside of the leverage ratio. I am currently running 230 65 with 185 travel. It seems to be working pretty well although as always there is bound to be heaps of room for improvement. Dpx2 with 2nd largest bonuses reducer and quite a bit of compression wound on

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yes I would also like to know a way around the prohibitive import costs. Also what is the downside of the leverage ratio. I am currently running 230 65 with 185 travel. It seems to be working pretty well although as always there is bound to be heaps of room for improvement. Dpx2 with 2nd largest bonuses reducer and quite a bit of compression wound on

Effectively you are working the shock harder. Have to pump more pressure into it, wind on more compression and rebound. I argue that because of the extra spring and dampening you loose small bump sensitivity compared to a lower leverage ration equivalent travel bike.

I also argue that the shock (particularly airshock) will get a lot hotter sooner as its working harder to do the same job.
Doing long dh runs, 20-30 mins, might lead to the shock heading up, increasing in internal pressure and becoming harsh towards the end of the run. I experienced shock heating and getting harder at wairoa gorge. That was standard leverage ratio....

I expect that you would also need to service the shock more often.

There is an arguement that for air shocks a certain leverage ration is preferenctial as the increase shock and dampening overcomes stiction from the air shock seals.

Lastly. If you are a light dude then, increasing leverage will be similar to a heavier person riding the bike. So... light dude higher leverage ration wont be too bad. Heavy dude, high leverage ratio probably takes the shock outside its design limits.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Effectively you are working the shock harder. Have to pump more pressure into it, wind on more compression and rebound. I argue that because of the extra spring and dampening you loose small bump sensitivity compared to a lower leverage ration equivalent travel bike.

I also argue that the shock (particularly airshock) will get a lot hotter sooner as its working harder to do the same job.
Doing long dh runs, 20-30 mins, might lead to the shock heading up, increasing in internal pressure and becoming harsh towards the end of the run. I experienced shock heating and getting harder at wairoa gorge. That was standard leverage ratio....

I expect that you would also need to service the shock more often.

There is an arguement that for air shocks a certain leverage ration is preferenctial as the increase shock and dampening overcomes stiction from the air shock seals.

Lastly. If you are a light dude then, increasing leverage will be similar to a heavier person riding the bike. So... light dude higher leverage ration wont be too bad. Heavy dude, high leverage ratio probably takes the shock outside its design limits.
That all makes good sense. I am a lighter guy 70 kgs in undies. Shock was rebuilt just prior to Xmas when still running it at 160 travel and it has done a heap of work since then at 185 but I have been very pleasantly surprised how well it has held up although longest runs have only been things like western okataina and rainbow mountain along with everything the Redwoods have to offer

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
That all makes good sense. I am a lighter guy 70 kgs in undies. Shock was rebuilt just prior to Xmas when still running it at 160 travel and it has done a heap of work since then at 185 but I have been very pleasantly surprised how well it has held up although longest runs have only been things like western okataina and rainbow mountain along with everything the Redwoods have to offer
Should be all good then. Your've gone from 2.46 to 2.8 leverage ratio. I'm not sure if the curve is linear or not. But if it is that effectively is the same as a 80kg dude riding 2.46 leverage.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Have you checked the (THOK GRAM RC) Mullet - 180mm - 170mm rear - full carbon - 23kgs - 630 battery.
Specs Geo - you may require to overview….. Possibly giving out for potential…. How’s its overall aesthetically appeal ?….
THOK YEAH!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Have you checked the (THOK GRAM RC) Mullet - 180mm - 170mm rear - full carbon - 23kgs - 630 battery.
Specs Geo - you may require to overview….. Possibly giving out for potential…. How’s its overall aesthetically appeal ?….
THOK YEAH!
I was Thoked at the appearance.

That's a bike that Mike Tyson should ride.
Angles seem ok. I have virtually no knowledge of Thok. Ideally I spec a bike with a bosch motor. So, its of interest, but not my perfect spec or at the top of the list.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Shame you didn’t see the used one that was for sale in Nz recently 15k I think.
Nah, I would never buy used for $15k. I actually did see it before I seriously started looking. They wanted $15k excluding the battery..... So a non- going second hand e bike that you would then have to spend a nother couple of $k to get going.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Whyte E180 is another option.

I'll be honest i dont like the look of it and its heavy. But base model that I could adapt to what I want is $10k and fully stacked with zeb ultimate, asx and bosch race motor is $16.5k

Geo is right in the range im looking at except for seat tube angle is a bit slack.... yep its on the old school side of geo at 750°.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I would try an E-180.

I have an E-160, was in two minds if the weight was going to be too much but it rides like a much lighter bikes, hides the weight really well.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another option is Mondraker level. 180/170mm 29".
I ride a 2021. It's heavy but feels great on chunky and steep stuff. Only 65deg HA so might not be slack enough for you but I've never felt like I need anything slacker.
Annoyingly it looks like the new versions have an integrated battery, so won't be as straight forward to swap.

I've had this a couple of years now and I'm always looking for it's replacement but nothings really ticked all the boxes yet.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Another option is Mondraker level. 180/170mm 29".
I ride a 2021. It's heavy but feels great on chunky and steep stuff. Only 65deg HA so might not be slack enough for you but I've never felt like I need anything slacker.
Annoyingly it looks like the new versions have an integrated battery, so won't be as straight forward to swap.

I've had this a couple of years now and I'm always looking for it's replacement but nothings really ticked all the boxes yet.
65 hta is too steep. I chase a lot of steep and love the slackness of my rig. So 65hta is a deal breaker.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Sounds like a great mod. Can you share details/model about the Link you used?
Bike is a 2020/21 Moterra 1.Pretty simple job really. Link is from an acoustic cannondale Habit. Comes with all the bearings and all up landed sub $200. I have the part number somewhere if you are keen I will dig it up. Bolts straight on although it's arguably slightly more free with a small washer installed. Using standard shock which is a dpx2 230 x 65. I have added a much larger volume reducer in the can and wound up compression about 3 clicks and that's about it. Works sweet. Very 😊

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Thanks @Chairman, much appreciated! Great upgrade outside the box. Moterra 2 here, year 2021 so it looks like something that would work on my bike as well. Definitely interested if you wouldn't mind sharing the part#. Still running 160mm rear on mine but switched to RS coil which was an improvement for me.
Here you go.
Cannondale H2 suspension link. Part no. K91069
Good luck with the mod.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Got it, thanks a lot for your help @Chairman :) Looks like this part # is still available. Can't wait to try this. Moterra for the win!
Yeah my Moterra has been rock solid pretty much and has responded well to all the changes I have made. Going to mullet was a real eye opener but loving the boxxers and the Xtra 25mm travel at the rear has balanced things out nicely. I still have more plans including looking at maybe shortening the swing arm but that is still at the how the fuk to do that stage

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles