Levo Gen 2 what offset zeb fork and travel you would put on your 2020 levo?

shaddy

Apr 14, 2020
united states
just seeing what offset and travel zeb fork you guys would put on your 2020 levo, is 170 to much? off set is 51 mm from factory thanks guys for any input

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You void the warranty if go over 10% so I would go 160mm. Apart from the extra travel 160 will also slightly slacken the head angle and you will effectively negate that benefit if you go for a shorter offset.

shaddy

Apr 14, 2020
united states
You void the warranty if go over 10% so I would go 160mm. Apart from the extra travel 160 will also slightly slacken the head angle and you will effectively negate that benefit if you go for a shorter offset.
44mm would be ok if I go with the 160?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
44mm would be ok if I go with the 160?
Depends what you mean by Ok. You would be changing the original designed geometry. That said I know others have done it and not noticed a big difference but I guess that depends on your type of riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
160 will also slightly slacken the head angle and you will effectively negate that benefit if you go for a shorter offset.
what?
The main benefit of a slacker HA is added stability at speed
The main benefit of shorter offset is also added stability at speed

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Lots of articles online that detail how offset affects trail and wheelbase and what effect changing offset can have on steering and cockpit size. In brief if you decrease offset you increase trail and that makes steering fell more lazy .....which might be a good thing if you do a lot of fast gnarly downhill but not if you do a lot of sweeping flow trail.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
what?
Yes...sorry our posts overlapped....I was referring to doubling up the effect on steering but it has other impacts as well in terms of geo. If the bike has a flip chip it could be set to high to moderate the overall impact. I guess the issue is that you do not know until you try it...but not cheap to change back if it means another set of new forks!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd assume anyone wanting a 170mm fork would also want a slacker HA than levos have stock
otherwise what's the point really?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I run 180 Lyriks and find it climbs better than a 150's which seem to bounce off every little undulation.
Don't care about the slack HA still not as lazy as a Kenevo, also slackness is not an issue as I DH orientated.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I run 180 Lyriks and find it climbs better than a 150's which seem to bounce off every little undulation.
Don't care about the slack HA still not as #lazy as a Kenevo, also slackness is not an issue as I DH orientated.
Don’t bring me into it ?
While I’m here ;
I got the 180’s 44m offset(42 stock) for me kenevo comp , IMO if the offsets don’t match your bike go with the closest !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
what?
If you go longer stroke and reduce the offset will that bring the geo back to normalish ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Basically...
longer axle to crown = slacker HA and MOAR trail.
Shorter offset = MOAR TRAIL

MOAR TRAIL = GREATER STABILITY (at speed) but LESS agility at lower speeds and makes the bike's steering turn in slower.

Geo of a Levo won't miraculously go back to stock by altering travel, axle to crown, HA or offset after you've changed ANY one of those perameters previously.

Last edited:

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Lots of articles online that detail how offset affects trail and wheelbase and what effect changing offset can have on steering and cockpit size. In brief if you decrease offset you increase trail and that makes steering fell more lazy .....which might be a good thing if you do a lot of fast gnarly downhill but not if you do a lot of sweeping flow trail.

got to define lazy.

shorter offset = heavier feel at bars
Longer offset = lighter feel at bars

personally not a fan of more offset because (For me) it’s easy to overpower the front and wash the front tire.

it’s important to note it’s preference. If you don’t know from riding both it’s likely you will get used to whatever you have. Good news is that on the Levo geo is very neutral so both offsets are OK and not pushing too much.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Still can’t get my head around “ longer offset will feel lighter at bars “ , longer offset will extend the wheel so should make it slower to turn ?

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Still can’t get my head around “ longer offset will feel lighter at bars “ , longer offset will extend the wheel so should make it slower to turn ?

the radius is bigger, so you have more leverage on the wheel.

the distance you move is longer, but easier to move.

think of stem length for a comparison. If you have your front wheel wedged between to 20kg stone on left and right, and you try to turn your bars to move the stones. Which is easier: 30mm stem or 100mm stem?

obviously the 100. More leverage.

offset is the exact same (So are wide & marrow bars).

less leverage = heavier initial feel.

fork offsets are small changes, but you can feel it.

keep in mind, a shorter offset will tighten the wheelbase and put you more over the front on steep descents. When I first tried a 44 on my enduro bike made for 51 it was definitely worse at the bike park, but better in undulating singletrack (a sb5.5, steeper HTA than current geo trends).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles