What is your reply to people commenting about you riding an assisted bike?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
My point is why ride two abreast when you can stagger. That would still leave someone on the outside to prevent a blind overtake and still leave the guy on the outside somewhere to go if a coming car cuts the white line.
Ah, got you, would agree that gives more protection, requires a bit of coordination though.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Only when it’s switched on, is my reply.

Today I overtook 3 cyclists and one said, “oh he’s on an ebike”. I then turned around and said “it’s switched off” and their faces soon dropped. They knew I wasn’t lying, as the bike was completely silent, and they all jumped out of their skins when I went past! ?

On Saturday I did 4 trails in 7 mins 40 seconds. Was absolutely flying, and at the end was properly sweating and knew I had done a workout. Any idiot that says we’re cheating needs to go and ride one properly.

Some friends like to try and wind me up, saying it’s not real exercise, but I just say “yep, you press a button and the bike does EVERYTHING. You don’t even need to pedal.” That normally shuts them up!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
An interesting observation from the comments here is the UK has a different take on things. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm from the US and we've certainly got out own share of nonsense.... but the e-biking seems to trigger some un-stereotypical responses from Brits.

We’re not all like the polite buck toothed folk you see on Family Guy!

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Only when it’s switched on, is my reply.

Today I overtook 3 cyclists and one said, “oh he’s on an ebike”. I then turned around and said “it’s switched off” and their faces soon dropped. They knew I wasn’t lying, as the bike was completely silent, and they all jumped out of their skins when I went past! ?

On Saturday I did 4 trails in 7 mins 40 seconds. Was absolutely flying, and at the end was properly sweating and knew I had done a workout. Any idiot that says we’re cheating needs to go and ride one properly.

Some friends like to try and wind me up, saying it’s not real exercise, but I just say “yep, you press a button and the bike does EVERYTHING. You don’t even need to pedal.” That normally shuts them up!
That is the key phrase "Ride eMTB properly" Anyone can ride a eMTB or even a MTB for that matter and not crack much of a sweat. If you ride an eMTB properly, you can get a great leg and up body work out.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
If someone make a negative statement I will reply with "Don't knock it until U have tried one and then you will be smiling like me:)"

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
That is the key phrase "Ride eMTB properly" Anyone can ride a eMTB or even a MTB for that matter and not crack much of a sweat. If you ride an eMTB properly, you can get a great leg and up body work out.

Honestly, think this is quite close to the nub of the matter. I can honestly say that in 15 years of mtb I've never thought that a great workout was part of it. Even when I was reasonably fit, it just wasn't a consideration. Am decidedly unfit now, nothing to do with the ebike though. But I can see that from the other end of the spectrum, it is cheating if the purity of exercise is muddled. Mind, there was a time when a dirt roadie face planting over a pebble would have raised a chuckle ;) Grown out of that now, more the merrier out in the countryside is my view.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Honestly, think this is quite close to the nub of the matter. I can honestly say that in 15 years of mtb I've never thought that a great workout was part of it. Even when I was reasonably fit, it just wasn't a consideration. Am decidedly unfit now, nothing to do with the ebike though. But I can see that from the other end of the spectrum, it is cheating if the purity of exercise is muddled. Mind, there was a time when a dirt roadie face planting over a pebble would have raised a chuckle ;) Grown out of that now, more the merrier out in the countryside is my view.
For me its not about the workout factor of an eMTBing, but the Fun Factor. Any two-wheeling that I do has to be fun frist, the workout is just the by product of riding hard:cool:

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
I wonder how many people realise you actually have to pedal an ebike.
For Class 1 ebikes, a lot people think they don't have to pedal or they don't understand on a steep dirt climb you might be able to climb at 8mph verses 3mph on a non-ebike. Also they don't understand on flat or downhill, non ebikes can be faster than the class1 ebike.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I used to get the cheating comment, but now it’s more “oh, you’re on an ebike?” And I reply, yes I am, have a great day.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles