What is your reply to people commenting about you riding an assisted bike?

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Here a list of replies that I have used, 1st two are what I usually say:

* I will be passing U on your right, ThxU.

* I will be passing U on your left, ThxU.

* eMTBer coming thru, please get off the trail!

* eMTBer coming thru, please pickup the pace!

* Old Man on eMTB coming thru, please move over!

* Glad I am on my eMTB for the next climb!

* Don't U wish you were on a eMTB right now:)

* I am riding a eMTB and proud of it!

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
I tell them "come here and listen to the popcorn sound my aging knees make". "If it wasn't for the pedal assist I would be able to get out here AT ALL". This generally gets a nod of acceptance.

Well, that and my being fairly direct, 6'3" and 250# kind of non-verbally says "don't push your luck".

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
We had some guys in the Lake District they were walking there MTBs up a very rocky long climb, they said they would rather walk than humiliate themselves cheating on an Emtb me and my wife passed them, had picnic at the top as they got to the top we packed up and rode off still didn’t pass us going down nuff said.

we have comments constantly but learned to smile as we pass

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
An interesting observation from the comments here is the UK has a different take on things. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm from the US and we've certainly got out own share of nonsense.... but the e-biking seems to trigger some un-stereotypical responses from Brits.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l passed a guy tonight on a long, steep off road climb out of my local park. l can just about clean it on my regular MTB, but it's hell, and over the years it's never got any easier.

He was pushing his bike up the hill and as l passed him on my Ebike he said "that's cheating"

Well, maybe. But he wasn't riding it, he was pushing his bike.
l couldn't think of a response so l said nothing, l just kept going.

kooly

Apr 29, 2020
Australia
Depends what mood im in. If im in a good one..i say 'get over it..gears are cheating...i just have better ones than you'... if im in a bad one i simply tell them to get fucked..and leave them behind hahaha

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
l passed a guy tonight on a long, steep off road climb out of my local park. l can just about clean it on my regular MTB, but it's hell, and over the years it's never got any easier.

He was pushing his bike up the hill and as l passed him on my Ebike he said "that's cheating"

Well, maybe. But he wasn't riding it, he was pushing his bike.
l couldn't think of a response so l said nothing, l just kept going.
Isnt it cheating to push your bike up a hill? :ROFLMAO:

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
Most of the negative comments I get are from the road guys. If they say anything smart I just shout "single file guys, single file" as I fly by. For some reason it seems to piss them off.

Funny enough when I meet one on their own they never say anything smart but seem interested in the bike.
20210429_194315.jpg

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
So I've been on ebikes ever since the 17' Levo came out. I've heard everything. Even children on the trail have mocked me.:). My favorite thing is when the wife and I are cranking up an asphalt road and we pass a roadie. They don't know that I am behind my wife. I watch her pass and the roadie literally gets whip lash. She is a full figure women with long hair on a big bike with big tires. It's priceless. Then I make beep beep noises as I pass. It's hilarious. I also bring everything with me but the kitchen sink. My Camelbak Haug with spare battery weighs more than an entire road bike.o_O
Anyway, winters are completely different story. All the fatties head for the groomed trails. I put studs on and head for the hiking trails. The fatties don't go anywhere near ice. It's nothing but accolades from the hikers. They have either crampons or micro spikes and can't figure out how I can get my bike up there. I live near Salt Lake City and the foot hills get massive foot traffic and dogs in the winter. All it takes is a good light and some studs for the best riding around. There is nothing like cresting a trail as the sun breaks the horizon and it is solid ice on the trails.

20200105_084207.jpg

20200209_073440.jpg

20201220_103603.jpg

20200905_141406.jpg

20201226_073718.jpg

20210123_071613.jpg

20210123_075032.jpg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Great photos! Looks pretty extreme up there.

l never say anything derogatory l
will generally either agree that it's cheating but it's so much fun that l don't care, or l
will tell them to try an Ebike and then tell me if they still think it's cheating.

But most of the time l get comments like "how about a tow" or "l wish l had one of those"
l was chatting to a couple of riders at the top of a hill today and l could tell that they didn't "approve" of the Ebike but l just commented on their bikes being nice (they were both on high end carbon FS machines) and discussed the routes we had ridden to get there.

I passed one guy across a river and he said "aren't you worried you will get electrocuted" which l though was a really witty comment, so l said "lt's OK my shoes have rubber soles"

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I used to hear it lot more than I do now. Probably because there's so many emtb's around now.

Did have an incident a while back where two UK dudes were really giving me a bunch of shit. Not the gentle teasing but more nasty. Ended up following them up a steep single track where they were really suffering badly. Behind them I spoke up and said "oh.... this is all the fun I'm missing out on riding my cheater bike! I should go back to an old leg powered machine as you guys are clearly having more fun than I am".

They didn't say shit after that

Fuch

Dec 13, 2020
Buckinghamshire
My son seems not have a problem with my cheat bike down the local bike park on the up giving him a tow with a old inner tube ......cheat bikes Rock!

A7E20F6D-BBF2-41E1-ACCA-D23CC3AB8955.jpeg

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
F##K OFF!

FWIW, being passed by some 20 something college students on ebikes while climbing a hill I was suffering on, is one of the things that pushed me over the edge into a emtb. Still ride my Roubaix for road biking.

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
It's just the kids that shout "cheat" here in Canada. The adults probably say something derogatory quietly if they are with friends, but are still likely to smile. It's the Canadian way.

The trails are getting super busy on the climbs these days, so with passing more people (and I'm polite) there seems to be a higher chance of conflict. I'm hoping the bars, restaurants and nightclubs start to open again soon.

HarveyMiller

Jan 28, 2020
New York
Back in the very early 80's I was the third person on Long Island to don a hard shell helmet (A white Bell, remember?). I received lots of comments and questions. Now you can't officially participate in any sanctioned rides without any of the numerous helmets available.

By the mid 80's I purchased the first bicycling computer ever made and "widely" marketed. It was a big ol' ugly grey 1/2 inch deep and 3 inch wide rectangular box that only displayed speed or mileage, scrolling between the two on a tiny LCD and connected by wire to the sensor. I also received lots of comments and questions and, eventually, the later incantations were on all the bicycles.

In 2005 I put a gps on my bicycle, again receiving comments and questions, and now look at what's available.

In December, 2019, I purchased the first used Creo SL ever sold (at least I think it was the first since they were still relatively newly made. The original purchaser rode it 25 miles before realizing that it was the wrong size so I saved $1,000). And I was, again, privy to comments, good hearted derision, and a few positive questions (said in somewhat hushed tones if there were riders nearby).

I answer everyone with respect and in an informative way. I realize that it can take some time before some people come around, depending on who they are and where they're coming from. I can laugh at myself because I'm wrong at times also and find that a good, open and understanding perspective is the closest I can ever get to some sort of truth about things.

When riding with the club I stay with the group and ride as experience has taught me. My fellow riders, though, truly appreciate it when I take the front at the right pace when the wind turns angry and that helps to deal with any residual negatives.

When they came out with carbon wheels and frames there were those that "cheated" also until their advantages were seen as overwhelming compared to what was previously available. When aero became jargon, well, that was cheating too, until it was a must. And on and on....

Be patient. Have fun. Be humble and understanding. Eventually the questions and doubts fade, the world changes, and the joy just gets better.

I've had my ebike for 4 months now and there's been so many comments on trail like..'oh you have an ebike, I was wondering how you're passing me". Lol! So egotistical.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
"single file guys, single file"
I understand fully why cyclists take up one lane of the road - it forces drivers to overtake them properly and safely.

I used to ride on the road. The big huge problem is that the majority of people driving on the road don't give much thought to driving. I see it all the time. I follow some dude in a sports car, I'm in my van, around a corner and he's over the line right at the apex and he can't do anything to pull in! I use up all my lane going wide coming in and I'm hugging the inside of the corner at the apex - no stress at all on my van even with the seating over the front wheels!

In the middle of nowhere, car pulled over on the road; I drive past it on the opposite side of the road. If someone runs out I won't even have to react. So often I just see drivers blindly following the dotted lines or the unbroken lines - unable to think independently or actively.

If a bike rider is on the edge of the road, cars generally overtake trying to stay fully within their lane. I've seen this even when there is nothing coming the other way. It's as though they believe the road is for them (car drivers) and that's it.

Truck drivers and motorcyclists are generally switched on. Car drivers are generally zombies.

Last edited:

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
I understand fully why cyclists take up one lane of the road - it forces drivers to overtake them properly and safely.

I used to ride on the road. The big huge problem is that the majority of people driving on the road don't give much thought to driving. I see it all the time. I follow some dude in a sports car, I'm in my van, around a corner and he's over the line right at the apex and he can't do anything to pull in! I use up all my lane going wide coming in and I'm hugging the inside of the corner at the apex - no stress at all on my van even with the seating over the front wheels!

In the middle of nowhere, car pulled over on the road; I drive past it on the opposite side of the road. If someone runs out I won't even have to react. So often I just see drivers blindly following the dotted lines or the unbroken lines - unable to think independently or actively.

Truck drivers and motorcyclists are generally switched on. Car drivers are generally zombies.
As a motorcyclist myself I agree with what you say about truck drivers and the like.

But when following roadies at times I wonder if they have any road craft at all. Riding two or three abreast round bends leaves they guy on the out side nowhere to go if as you say a car coming the other way comes over the white line. Would it not be safer if they were to stagger their position?

It's like zombie pedestrians walking out on a zebra crossing without looking because they have the right of way. You may be in the right but will probably come off worse.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
After 14+ runs at Rogate to the push up equivalent of 3-4; we got up quicker, had fun practicing trials skills popping the roots on the climb, then many more dh runs which exercise most of the whole body. Can’t say we were cheating ?

To be fair though, very few people comment anymore as ebikes are becoming more popular. There are a few, but for me, theyve only been walkers rather than other riders.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
As a motorcyclist myself I agree with what you say about truck drivers and the like.

But when following roadies at times I wonder if they have any road craft at all. Riding two or three abreast round bends leaves they guy on the out side nowhere to go if as you say a car coming the other way comes over the white line. Would it not be safer if they were to stagger their position?

It's like zombie pedestrians walking out on a zebra crossing without looking because they have the right of way. You may be in the right but will probably come off worse.

Riding 2-3 abreast around a corner is more about preventing a blind overtake I suspect. Hear you about the zombie thing, but it's rubbish being a ped there or at a junction where you have right of way and basically having to test the water with your limbs.

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
Riding 2-3 abreast around a corner is more about preventing a blind overtake I suspect. Hear you about the zombie thing, but it's rubbish being a ped there or at a junction where you have right of way and basically having to test the water with your limbs.
My point is why ride two abreast when you can stagger. That would still leave someone on the outside to prevent a blind overtake and still leave the guy on the outside somewhere to go if a coming car cuts the white line.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles