What is your reply to people commenting about you riding an assisted bike?

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Zoom up behind 'em on max boost. Power off (casual) sprint past. Slip it back into sneaky eco to get away and resume normal riding in trail once you've gapped them.

Top of the hill gasping: You passed me because you're on an eBike
Me: yeah but it was switched off

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
recent comments are more on the curiosity side, how it feel and about bike model itself than anything else. So subjects for a small chat .

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
20210429_114738.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I must admit, when I’m riding the motorbike and catch up some road bikes going up a hill, the inner child in me makes me slow down sneakily behind them, drop a couple of gears, and then rev and accelerate full blast up the hill. It’s a habit I just can’t break, just like revving the engine when going under a bridge or tunnel ?

Totally unrelated to the question on this thread, but it’s how I feel when overtaking mtb’s on the emtb, without the loud engine noise

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I find the cheat comments generally come from the disgruntled pushers or resters who aren’t actually riding their bike and just jealous...

the serious mtb’ers either acknowledge the e bike and say hi, or crack on and do their own thing. No issues whatsoever

Either way. I couldn’t give a shit as I’m having too much fun to care ??

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I must admit, when I’m riding the motorbike and catch up some road bikes going up a hill, the inner child in me makes me slow down sneakily behind them, drop a couple of gears, and then rev and accelerate full blast up the hill. It’s a habit I just can’t break, just like revving the engine when going under a bridge or tunnel ?

Totally unrelated to the question on this thread, but it’s how I feel when overtaking mtb’s on the emtb, without the loud engine noise
You should break that habit, it's not a very nice feeling cycling on the road and suddenly thinking you're about to die.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Can't say this has happened to me tbh. It's a bit bizarre really, what are we competing at? Am I in a race I wasn't aware of, breaking rules I've never read?
Thats my take on it. What exactly am I cheating at or cheating who?

I never ridden so much, ive lost weight, got fitter....erm....cheating?!?

Bpietro

Jul 9, 2020
Atlanta
What I’ve noticed is most people who get mad are usually terrible riders. But most people are just curious about them. Then when they tell you they are 2 miles into their ride and your reply is your approaching 40 their jaw drops

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I tell them I have a pacemaker and two replaced hips and feel lucky to still have the ability to ride after being at it for 20+ years. After that if the assbag isn't on my side I'll tell them its not a race and they should try worrying about themselves.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Ask then how they got on the trails did they drive there, cheated they could have rode
when they locked the car remote, cheated
when they switch the tv channel over remote, cheated
go shopping on line, cheated

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I’ll only reply if the comment is in good humour. If someone was up in my face about it, I’d probably offer them a test ride.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Bloody hell Mak, msg me next time you’re out, sounds like it could be quite profitable to follow you for a day ??
Lol, I don't think i could either afford or put up with a hole day of abuse from one person (y)

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I had a runner once comment as he got out of the way for me “you’ve got a motor you cheat...”. I responded “yup”.

All good humoured but it’s true, I don’t like hills, never have from my BMX days.

I had to wait 30-40 years to love hills. Ebike made it happen.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
The only hostility has been from road bikers when we blast past them up the hills plus some mixed responses to my KOM times on Strava ?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
me yelling over my shoulder: ... Cant hear you! IM HAVING SOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! WOHOOOOO!!!

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
How do you like your 12 speed drivetrain going uphill? My dad had 1 speed and would think you’r cheating. And if you’re too young to have ever felt aches and pains, just wait.

rorohello

Nov 6, 2020
CA
Ive gotten "that's cheating" and "you'll never get your legs strong that way"

I replied each time with: "I'm about to cover double or possibly triple as much ground...so how is that true?"

I like "who am I competing against" too

mxtyphoon

May 23, 2020
Wisconsin SW
I usually offer them to ride it and explain I have health issues that wouldn’t allow me to ride otherwise. Plus who cares if you have hills or wind, right. Different mind set now?

David Scott

Jun 13, 2020
Dundee
I get called a cheater several times almost every ride, usually when passing folk a moderate pace.
I simile drop a few gears turn up to boost on my derestricted machine and fire off as fast as I can!
If I’m particularly miffed at the comments I’ll try to lap them and give encouragement as I pass them over and over again, all the while smiling!????

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles