What is the current thinking on ep8 vs bosch/brose?

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Question for people who have time on both. I am seeing mixed things on ep8 vs bosch/brose. Some people are saying its more or less the same power and some people are saying it lags behind still.

I know im not supposed to care about power and all that but I have a bosch that I only ride in turbo with backup battery for full days. there is an ep8 bike that im considering but i dont want a step down in power much since i already know that i want high level motor support.

I guess i really need to get out on an ep8 at some point to decide for myself

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
the short answer is that Bosch is more powerful and punchier while ep8 feels more natural in force when you pedal. i prefer the moore natural feeling the shimano motors have.

The ep8 engine is also more economical with the battery.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
In the UK Shimano's warranty support is terrible.

My batteries are degrading unacceptably fast. 60 charge cycles and it's at 78% health - big problems with range and dying without any reserve. Completely fine according to Madison. The new battery is already below 90% on 20 cycles, so going the same way. There are threads on here, this is normal behaviour. And completely fine according to Madison.

I've also had some E010 errors and some intermittent surging / power loss. A data download before end of warranty showed some torque sensor and position sensor issues. But no problem really, nothing to be done. And now it's out of warranty. My Bosch riding friends have all had replacement motors for far smaller issues.

So yeah. Hard no on Shimano from me. Never again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles