Bosch Gen.4 vs Brose Support Levels

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
On my 2020 Spez. Turbo Levo (brose) i can set the support & peak power levels for eco/trail/turbo. My wife has a new Trek Powerfly 7 with the latest bosch motor. The support/peak is not tuneable. Just wondered what support she is getting in the various modes. I know the emtb mode is a sort of automatic mode.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
On my 2020 Spez. Turbo Levo (brose) i can set the support & peak power levels for eco/trail/turbo. My wife has a new Trek Powerfly 7 with the latest bosch motor. The support/peak is not tuneable. Just wondered what support she is getting in the various modes. I know the emtb mode is a sort of automatic mode.
I believe the levels are:

60% assistance - ECO
140% = trail
340% = Turbo

as you mention, the EMTB mode is an auto mode and will go in and out of trail / turbo depending on the torque you create on the cranks

you can ask an LBS to remove the EMTB mode for SPORT mode, which is 270% assistance constant (I think that figure is correct)

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Thanks that's good to know. We both ride in similar modes and almost always end up with similar % battery remaining. The wife being 52 kg with a 625 battery and me on 92 kg with a 700 battery.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I believe the levels are:

60% assistance - ECO
140% = trail
340% = Turbo

as you mention, the EMTB mode is an auto mode and will go in and out of trail / turbo depending on the torque you create on the cranks

you can ask an LBS to remove the EMTB mode for SPORT mode, which is 270% assistance constant (I think that figure is correct)
The 140% support mode on Bosch Gen 4 is Tour rather than trail.
The Levo max assist is 410% so if you set pedal assist for trail at 50% you are at about 200% and the Levo has a pretty generous cadence range.

I have both a Levo and a Gen4 motor bike...although I am still on the 75nm software. I rode the Levo mostly on trail mode when in the forest and the pedal assist is set at 50% ( peak 100%). The Gen4 bike I ride virtually exclusively in EMTB. The difference is that maintaining reasonable speed on singletrack below the speed cut off etc on the Levo requires very little effort, whereas the Gen 4 bike does need a bit more torque input or a higher cadence ( ie lower gear). The Bosch gen 4 however just get more and more powerfull as you input more torque to the extent that Turbo is rarely required even for short sharp climbs. With the Levo once you push past the pedal assist zone, more effort is required to access the max power and it is far easier to just switch to turbo for steep climbs.
I believe the Bosch gen 4 85nm software has enabled a little more power at lower cadences which would make the difference in response between the 2 motors a little less I guess.
I would say to equalise the power settings between you ( off road) your wide would be best using EMTB and you using trail at c 40% pedal assist.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
If you got the huge Nyon controller one can add 4 extra custom modes that can be tuned in the app with multiple steps in power delivery.

If you have Kiox or Purion.... the best one can do is cuddle (well, maybe not now with this pandemic; crate of beer maybe then) the folks from the LBS and ask them to create custom modes, as the Bosch tools do allow it.

If that is really needed though...

With the latest Trek/Bosch versions one actually gets a "Custom eMTB Lite Mode":
Rail 9 | Trek Bikes (GB)
in place of the "Tour" mode, which is a more battery saving, less torque-heavy eMBTB mode.

Thus effectively, the need for tuning is rather little..... I actually tend to just ride in eMTB mode, turning motor support off at easier parts, and at 30% battery tuning it down to maybe ECO if I am not back to my destination yet and know I need to take a few more ascents before getting there...downhill, who needs a motor :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles