Shimano vs brose reliability

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Had a Heckler with the E8000 for two years with no issues other than for awhile it would not start up but now it works fine. For the last summer been riding a Gen3 Turbo Levo Pro and zero issues with that bike. I have three friends who have Gen2 Turbo Levos and all have had some issues but they ride a lot more than me and ride in cold wet muddy conditions. One has his bike in the shop for at least three weeks now. I really love the Gen3 bikes though so will keep my fingers crossed.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I'm sure it was one of your YouTube videos where I got the information from that Shimano weren't rebuildable, maybe an old video, or my mistake?
No, we stated that we do not rebuild E7000, 8000 motors due to the software issues and the E6000 was not re-buildable due to the plug orientation and the way the wiring was soldered to the board. However, we may have found a way round that issue now (not that we're repaoring them, we just never sleep)

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I have a 2018 Merida e160 with the e8000 motor
While out on Saturday it started throwing up E010 & W013 error codes
I downloaded and installed the new software and after a quick test ride seemed to do the trick
I was Planning on going for a test ride a Hamsterly forest to put it through its paces this morning but was hit with another E010 error when I switched it on so I made a detour to my LBS instead
The LBS said both batteries are good at 90% health and he could see the error codes which seem intermittent now, after talking to Shimano they want him to send in the motor for inspection and even talked about possibly doing it under warranty even tho the bike is over 3 years old :)

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
No, we stated that we do not rebuild E7000, 8000 motors due to the software issues and the E6000 was not re-buildable due to the plug orientation and the way the wiring was soldered to the board. However, we may have found a way round that issue now (not that we're repaoring them, we just never sleep)
Thanks for correcting me.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I have been reading about reliability since 2018 because i just want to ride.
All the Ebikes i bought were Yamaha = zero issue. I started on a 2017 Haibike.
No more distributed in Canada so now Yamaha/Giant. I just change chains
and tire and recharge. One suggestion never wash a bike. I only wipe off
the excess. Without a car my bikes do not get days off. Rain, snow ice
i pedal it works, no question . . . well except if i forget to put the battery on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles