Bosch CX gen 4 vs Shimano EP8

Which motor do you prefer: Bosch CX Gen4 or Shimano EP8?

• Total voters

Froffytop

Dec 2, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hey Guys,

Had a bit of a search around but couldn't find a thread that directly compared the 2 motors. I'm interested in people who have had experience with both as to which motor they prefer over all.

From what I've been reading the Bosch definitely has a much more punchy power delivery, but doesn't have any many options for adjusting the torque/mode settings. Where as the EP8 is much more adjustable for torque/mode settings (E-tube), but has a much more linear/natural power delivery. Have also heard that the EP8 trail mode is quite power hungry?

Currently trying decide between a Commencal meta power & a focus Sam2 & I've whittled down to whichever ever has a better motor will be will decide it.

Thanks guys!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From what I've been reading the Bosch definitely has a much more punchy power delivery, but doesn't have any many options for adjusting the torque/mode settings. Where as the EP8 is much more adjustable for torque/mode settings (E-tube), but has a much more linear/natural power delivery. Have also heard that the EP8 trail mode is quite power hungry?
You probably summed it up there pretty well. Due to "advancements" on both models they now both have down hill rattle, so probably irrelevant if you're choosing between them ! :) The shimano can be setup with no display and has more options for mode selectors. The Bosch is stuck with it's 1980's Nintendo display/control options and can't be adjusted - but the EMTB mode seems well setup by default.

As you've said, the Bosch ultimately has more power, though you could see this as meaning it could flatten it's battery sooner - though the Bosch motors generally seem quite efficient and the actual capacity of the batteries is normally high.

The Shimano is pretty unproven on the reliability front and longer term, the Bosch is easier to maintain as you/companies can get hold of parts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles