What did you buy your ebike this week?

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Mine are being delivered tomorrow. They look similar to the comfort grips that came on my Trek. Most etmber's seem to use the round stlye grips which I'm sure work better on the technical stuff and jumps. I'm more single track trails and xcountry. At 74 my bones are too brittle. I prefer my crashes to be on snow while skiing 😜
Ahhh fair enough, that makes more sense :)

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Also, picked up these Ergon comfort grips in purple. Will coordinate well with my DMR Vault flat pedals in oil slick. Ergon is made in Germany and makes great quality stuff. I also have their Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime Saddle. So good I never even think about my saddle anymore (that's the sign of a good saddle). My Trek needed moe bling with these purple grips. Ebike was starting to look like an all black police bike 😳

View attachment 106644 View attachment 106645
I have similar Ergon grips on two bikes, and I found with both that the angle of the flat part of the grip is critical to comfort. One or two degrees up or down can make all the difference between pain and comfort for your hands and forearms. It is worth taking the time to find that best angle, and it might need quite a bit of experimentation, but it is worth it to get it right.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I have similar Ergon grips on two bikes, and I found with both that the angle of the flat part of the grip is critical to comfort. One or two degrees up or down can make all the difference between pain and comfort for your hands and forearms. It is worth taking the time to find that best angle, and it might need quite a bit of experimentation, but it is worth it to get it right.
Thanks Nicho. What I do is tighten them to the point where I can still move them slightly with enough pressure to find their sweet spot. I need to also find just the right spot in conjunction with the up and down travel of the dropper seat post. Then when I get home I lock them down. I do carry a multitool with allens, but then I have to keep getting on an off to adjust the grips.

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Hahahahahaha! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ya thats why I've been adding color . . . Even she's got some bling:

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 6.09.41 PM.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Just a little bit of bling to finish off the Hope ebike crank arms and pedal upgrade 😎 still waiting for my Hope cassette lock rings that I bought from a different seller of which I’m having regrets now 🙄

103B1DED-984A-4A5B-90B3-06508D753EBB.jpeg

Jan 26, 2023
England
my bike is about 3 months old but starting to get swirls on the paintwork. i know i should have bought this when it was new but have been told it will still improve the look of the paintwork.

a.jpg

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
my bike is about 3 months old but starting to get swirls on the paintwork. i know i should have bought this when it was new but have been told it will still improve the look of the paintwork.

View attachment 106937

It will sort of "fill" light scratches, but there will still be some light refraction. Meaning you may no longer see the marks, but shine will be affected. You know you can polish a bike using the same tools/chemicals as a car, right?

I put that wrap on my latest bike from day one. In my case it was simply for the practical aspect of protecting a carbon frame from my idiocy on the trail. It was quite the job. Set aside about twice as long as you think it will take, and then double that. I started sort of late and ran into low light, which sucked a lot. Oh yeah, I have a bright shop, but sunlight is what you want.

I was not able to make it totally bubble-free. I popped some with surgical precision and an X-acto with the mini-point tip.

Jan 26, 2023
England
It will sort of "fill" light scratches, but there will still be some light refraction. Meaning you may no longer see the marks, but shine will be affected. You know you can polish a bike using the same tools/chemicals as a car, right?

I put that wrap on my latest bike from day one. In my case it was simply for the practical aspect of protecting a carbon frame from my idiocy on the trail. It was quite the job. Set aside about twice as long as you think it will take, and then double that. I started sort of late and ran into low light, which sucked a lot. Oh yeah, I have a bright shop, but sunlight is what you want.

I was not able to make it totally bubble-free. I popped some with surgical precision and an X-acto with the mini-point tip.
😆 i feared it would not be quite as easy as youtube videos make it look.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Built, not bought.

View attachment 107002
View attachment 107010
I know right, something of that quality can't be home made, surely!

If homer Simpson did bike stands...

Needed something to hold the bike while the fork is off and had some scrap wood...

I'll consider this mk1 and a success.
I do something even more Homer Simpson when I want to quickly lift the front but don't want to erect the proper bike stand.

Screwed a strong hook into a garage timber roof joist. Then thread rope with a rudimentary pulley around the bars next to the stem, lift the front of the bike off the floor, then loop the rope over the hook. Use a wheel bike stand to stop the bike swinging around.

Edit: Lifting the back is easy. Because of the battery the bike (Rail) is very front heavy so just put an old paddock stand under the motor which has a flat motor guard fitted. Use the wheel stand on the front wheel.

Last edited:

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I do something even more Homer Simpson when I want to quickly lift the front but don't want to erect the proper bike stand.

Screwed a strong hook into a garage timber roof joist. Then thread rope with a rudimentary pulley around the bars next to the stem, lift the front of the bike off the floor, then loop the rope over the hook. Use a wheel bike stand to stop the bike swinging around.

Edit: Lifting the back is easy. Because of the battery the bike (Rail) is very front heavy so just put an old paddock stand under the motor which has a flat motor guard fitted. Use the wheel stand on the front wheel.
Not a bad idea!

Usually, I hang it in a workstand using one of those false cross bar thingies but I needed a way to get the forks off that didn't involve balancing the bike and handlebars precariously on cardboard boxes of whatever was lying around.

The whole time I was building it, all I could think of was the Homer Simpson Spice rack 🤣

It's a bit neater now but still very, very clunky.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
@SwampNut Please get rid of the plastic saucer behind your cassette!!!

Why?

I've heard a lot of terms regarding it that insinuate it's for losers. I am inclined to leave it on just to piss off those people. And I sure wasn't going to remove a perfectly good cassette to remove the plastic. I still don't know why it's bad, but I have seen first-hand why it can be good.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Why?

I've heard a lot of terms regarding it that insinuate it's for losers. I am inclined to leave it on just to piss off those people. And I sure wasn't going to remove a perfectly good cassette to remove the plastic. I still don't know why it's bad, but I have seen first-hand why it can be good.
In my opinion (no survey carried out) they look awful and are for people that cannot reliably set up their shifting (another opinion). I have never had a chain drop down between the cassette and the spokes, NEVER!

You do not need to remove the cassette to remove your dork disk, I use a pair of scissors and a pair of pliers. I learned how to do that before I had the tools to remove the cassette (or even knew that you even could do that!) I can't remember the last bike I had that came with a dork disk. Maybe it's an American safety-led thing, like bells and front & rear reflectors are in the UK? (I once auctioned a bell and the reflectors on eBay and got £1.98 delivered - that's how cheap they are!

I do however accept as a good reason to leave it on; that of pissing off people like me! :ROFLMAO:

PS: I have never viewed riders with dork discs as losers, just mechanically incompetent.

PPS: I have just remembered the last bike I bought that came with a dork disc, it was a bike I bought for one of my grandkids, who was about 7 at the time, she is now 13.

Last edited:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I do appreciate the full explanation. I'm going to leave it on. Here's why, and I don't believe I'm mechanically incompetent (I've been working on motorcycles, cars, and bikes for my whole life, since I was 5). I slipped on a loose-over-hard trail and landed my derailleur against a rock, pushing it past the limit and pushing the chain over. It got stuck between the big gear and the dork disk (disc?). It *may* have prevented much greater damage or a crash, don't know. It certainly was not a bad thing to have. I was able to pull the chain back on easily, and limp home (now with a different gear position due to the bent hanger, but not stuck).

So, if it's just looks, with no penalty, I'm good with the extra (perceived) safety. My favorite trails are not just rocky, but full of small spaces between rocks with a lot of damage risk.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I do appreciate the full explanation. I'm going to leave it on. Here's why, and I don't believe I'm mechanically incompetent (I've been working on motorcycles, cars, and bikes for my whole life, since I was 5). I slipped on a loose-over-hard trail and landed my derailleur against a rock, pushing it past the limit and pushing the chain over. It got stuck between the big gear and the dork disk (disc?). It *may* have prevented much greater damage or a crash, don't know. It certainly was not a bad thing to have. I was able to pull the chain back on easily, and limp home (now with a different gear position due to the bent hanger, but not stuck).

So, if it's just looks, with no penalty, I'm good with the extra (perceived) safety. My favorite trails are not just rocky, but full of small spaces between rocks with a lot of damage risk.
There was no need for an explanation, I accept that you prefer it. :)

As for disc vs disk, that is down to the general lack of spelling ability amongst you guys in the colonies. There are many examples, colour vs color, humour vs humor.... there are loads and loads of examples. I put it down to your mongrel ancestry as a nation (although we can talk!). :unsure:
A very good explanation is here, an easy read.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Just a pair of Hope cassette lock rings, I like to have a spare just in case 😉 ooops, my bad, not cassette lock rings at all, maybe next time I’ll read the description, f@cking der brain 🤬

E6658D6D-A701-4C89-B429-594702ED7256.jpeg

Last edited:

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
In my opinion (no survey carried out) they look awful and are for people that cannot reliably set up their shifting (another opinion). I have never had a chain drop down between the cassette and the spokes, NEVER!

You do not need to remove the cassette to remove your dork disk, I use a pair of scissors and a pair of pliers. I learned how to do that before I had the tools to remove the cassette (or even knew that you even could do that!) I can't remember that last bike I had that came with a dork disk. Maybe it's an American safety-led thing, like bells and front & rear reflectors are in the UK? (I once auctioned a bell and the reflectors on eBay and got £1.98 delivered - that's how cheap they are!

I do however accept as a good reason to leave it on; that of pissing off people like me! :ROFLMAO:

PS: I have never viewed riders with dork discs as losers, just mechanically incompetent.

PPS: I have just remembered the last bike I bought that came with a dork disc, it was a bike I bought for one of my grandkids, who was about 7 at the time, she is now 13.
I honestly didn't think high end bikes even came with the things anymore, my last 2 didn't.

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles