Waxing your chain instead of lube?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I did a basic search but couldn’t find any previous posts about the subject. I couldn’t figure out how to do an advanced search with my iPhone so I apologise if it’s already been covered before.

Has anyone tried this??

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I wax my road bike chains and have done for a couple years. Haven't yet waxed the chain on the Kenevo as lube from new trends to be pretty good, but will be waxing it soon. Did wax my spectral when I had it, it is a little bit of a faff but definitely prolongs the life of the chain and reduces wear

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I did a basic search but couldn’t find any previous posts about the subject. I couldn’t figure out how to do an advanced search with my iPhone so I apologise if it’s already been covered before.

Has anyone tried this??

No way; way too labor-intensive for me. I carefully cleaned and waxed my chain once; even baking the chain at low temp in the oven in between and the very next ride was caught in a thunderstorm which completely stripped the wax from the chain. I use a soluble wax lubricant which is working well here in dry Arizona but I think that it’s only slightly better than the chainsaw bar oil I was using previously. 3100 miles on the chain now and expecting to change the chain at 4000 miles; 2/3 of that distance is commuting and 1/3 trail riding.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm thinking about trying this on my new chain. I'll be using the Putolene hot wax rather than home brew.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
That's the good stuff. In Aus it's great as we never see rain and all the trails are dry and dusty as a dead dingos donga

Regular lube makes a hell of a mess after one ride once it combines with the dust. With squirt just wipe the chain down with a rag and reapply. Great stuff

Old mate is releasing a new video towards the end of December with a new wax formula. I'm going to give it a crack when he does.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Just found this; I'm using it. Just plain paraffin wax bought off ebay - I think it was au$13 for 1.5kg? I bought a $25.00 slow cooker. Every 100km I take the chain off, put it in a strainer, and pour hot water over it to clean it. It never looks as though it needs cleaning. Then I leave it in molten wax for 5mins or so. 100km it is still good. I did do a wet ride once - and there was no wax left inside the chain! Only happened once. I have squirt, but it is too thick to go inside the links, which makes it kind of useless. I will try to water squirt down; it will be handy to be able to use something like that when we stay away with the bikes at places like derby. If I can't water down squirt I'll make my own liquid wax - that dude in your video shows how to do this too. For me it has saved hours of maintenance each week, literally.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Just found this; I'm using it. Just plain paraffin wax bought off ebay - I think it was au$13 for 1.5kg? I bought a $25.00 slow cooker. Every 100km I take the chain off, put it in a strainer, and pour hot water over it to clean it. It never looks as though it needs cleaning. Then I leave it in molten wax for 5mins or so. 100km it is still good. I did do a wet ride once - and there was no wax left inside the chain! Only happened once. I have squirt, but it is too thick to go inside the links, which makes it kind of useless. I will try to water squirt down; it will be handy to be able to use something like that when we stay away with the bikes at places like derby. If I can't water down squirt I'll make my own liquid wax - that dude in your video shows how to do this too. For me it has saved hours of maintenance each week, literally.

That video has been updated. Oz Cycle no longer recommends using liquid parafin. Instead he adds PTFE. I've been using his latest recipe and run two chains on a Shimano SLX 12sp setup. Currently just under 3000km with less than 5% stretch on both chains but I can definitely see wear on the sprockets. I have a complete new drive train to put on but there is still no sign of any bad gear changing or skipping.

As the video recommends, I do around 200km between waxes. I once let it go to 230km but the chain got noisy and reminded me! The only thing I don't do is make such a big fuss of "breaking in the chain" after waxing. I move the links so that I can get the chain onto the bike and then let the motor do that job for me.

One other thing. It's mostly dry miles here. When it rains, I don't got out - because it will be dry tomorrow - but the mud is like potters' clay and sticks to everything. After a muddy ride, the chain gets the boiling water treatment followed by 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Wet lube is useless here (worse than useless because it makes a grinding paste) and dry lube equally so as the sand and dust particles remove the ptfe immediately. The waxing system seems to work well in this climate.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
I find hot waxing good for removing excessive chain pubic hair growth sort of a like a Brazilian ........

Seriously I just use Squirt chain wax best I have found no grit sticks to it , I hate oily chain lube we have
sandy soil here and it wrecks drive trains.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That video has been updated. Oz Cycle no longer recommends using liquid parafin. Instead he adds PTFE. I've been using his latest recipe and run two chains on a Shimano SLX 12sp setup. Currently just under 3000km with less than 5% stretch on both chains but I can definitely see wear on the sprockets. I have a complete new drive train to put on but there is still no sign of any bad gear changing or skipping.

As the video recommends, I do around 200km between waxes. I once let it go to 230km but the chain got noisy and reminded me! The only thing I don't do is make such a big fuss of "breaking in the chain" after waxing. I move the links so that I can get the chain onto the bike and then let the motor do that job for me.

One other thing. It's mostly dry miles here. When it rains, I don't got out - because it will be dry tomorrow - but the mud is like potters' clay and sticks to everything. After a muddy ride, the chain gets the boiling water treatment followed by 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Wet lube is useless here (worse than useless because it makes a grinding paste) and dry lube equally so as the sand and dust particles remove the ptfe immediately. The waxing system seems to work well in this climate.

I had some ptfe ordered, but it never came. It was when shipping from overseas was returned or halted. Wax by itself is fine; it has been tested as the best as is. I get some mud, but it still never sticks to the chain. I pour hot water over it, but it's really more of a formality. I don't bother moving links pre install either. I think his recommendation of 230km is for the road! Although my chain still seems good at 100km.

I have an aftermarket aluminium chainring. It was very cheap. I've ordered some more. I'll turn it around (it looks symmetrical) at some point. I think the chainring will be my point of wear now. Maybe turn it around at 800km? Replace it at 1600?

Yes, it seems like an awesome chain treatment, unless you're in the wet. It's great for us aquaphobes, but maybe not for those poor buggers who ride with snorkels in the UK :ROFLMAO:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I find hot waxing good for removing excessive chain pubic hair growth sort of a like a Brazilian ........

Gentler on the legs than my rusty razor blade too. The PTFE helps no end with sliding through the wind...

Seriously I just use Squirt chain wax best I have found no grit sticks to it , I hate oily chain lube we have
sandy soil here and it wrecks drive trains.

Until I switched to the wax bath, I also used Squirt. Trouble is that it melts in the sun and has left splodges all over the patio paving - much to the disgust of the boss :eek:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Yes, it seems like an awesome chain treatment, unless you're in the wet. It's great for us aquaphobes, but maybe not for those poor buggers who ride with snorkels in the UK :ROFLMAO:

Well I would feel sympathy for them... but 3 fine days and they're all complaining that the ground is too hard and dusty, and that it's way too hot to ride uphill :whistle:

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Must say I use squirt too and in the UK has been brilliant. Drive chain really clean after most rides and no real clag to the jockey wheels. Definately my go to lube now

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Earlier this year I tried several different ready to go wax lubricants having hot waxed chains for 12-18 month's. I did so because of the faff of the waxing process. I’ve since returned to hot wax (paraffin mixed with Vaseline oil) as despite the faff, I found it less time consuming overall. Only getting 1, maybe 2 rides at best, with ready to go preperations.

I get around 100+ miles between changes with hot wax, so 3-5 rides. So although I leave the chain in the cleaner for 30 mins, dry, then hot wax for 30 mins (normally 3-4chains at a time; mine, wife’s, sons etc.) I’m spend less time swiping chains over and cleaning them.

I think, can’t quantify, the ready to go prep‘s also worked out more expensive. It cost me about £60 to set up with wax including, wax, oil, cooker & ultrasonic cleaner. Been using that for 12-18 months and will probably last another 10 at least. I spent nearly that on 4 different lubs in 6 months, bearing in mined I’m maintaining 3-4 chains.

I’m not saying this is better than other options, do whatever works for you, just trying to provide some insight.

p.s. If anyone can recommend a ready to go prep that will last 100+ miles, can be used in wet & dry conditions, wont be wash off by rain, mud etc. I’ll happily give it a try.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
What are you guys putting in your ultrasonic solution when cleaning. I've tried straight up hot water and it works OK but still need to give it a good wipe down before waxing.

I'm also loving the wax bath. I get 100-150k between waxings. Never go until it squeaks so possibly could go more.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Earlier this year I tried several different ready to go wax lubricants having hot waxed chains for 12-18 month's. I did so because of the faff of the waxing process. I’ve since returned to hot wax (paraffin mixed with Vaseline oil) as despite the faff, I found it less time consuming overall. Only getting 1, maybe 2 rides at best, with ready to go preperations.

I get around 100+ miles between changes with hot wax, so 3-5 rides. So although I leave the chain in the cleaner for 30 mins, dry, then hot wax for 30 mins (normally 3-4chains at a time; mine, wife’s, sons etc.) I’m spend less time swiping chains over and cleaning them.

I think, can’t quantify, the ready to go prep‘s also worked out more expensive. It cost me about £60 to set up with wax including, wax, oil, cooker & ultrasonic cleaner. Been using that for 12-18 months and will probably last another 10 at least. I spent nearly that on 4 different lubs in 6 months, bearing in mined I’m maintaining 3-4 chains.

I’m not saying this is better than other options, do whatever works for you, just trying to provide some insight.

p.s. If anyone can recommend a ready to go prep that will last 100+ miles, can be used in wet & dry conditions, wont be wash off by rain, mud etc. I’ll happily give it a try.
Do you need the ultra sonic cleaner? Does it do anything? Pouring hot water over the chain, while in a sieve seems good; although I'm even questioning if that is necessary?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
A packet of white powder being shipped in from China. What could possibly go wrong...? :LOL:
Mmm, reminds me of a very conservative but somewhat overweight friend of mine. She ordered this amazing weight loss medication from the US. She had ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) knocking on her door. She was mortified to find out it was speed; supposedly it eats fat :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
This is starting to get more mainstream it seems. Obviously watts obsessed roadies are all over it. (Watts-weenies anyone?)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Do you need the ultra sonic cleaner? Does it do anything? Pouring hot water over the chain, while in a sieve seems good; although I'm even questioning if that is necessary?

Given the colour of the water as soon as I start up the bath, I reckon so.

Whether I use the ultrasonic cleaner or not depends on how long I've run the chain and in what conditions. Light use following my wife around (and her chain, which is all fire road and asphalt use) only gets the boiling water rinse. Mashing through the dunes and and any wet bits or beach rides, then it's into the ultrasonic bath.

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
Oz Cycle convert here. It’s worked flawlessly for me. After the initial cleaning now the process gets done in 30 minutes or less. Take off chain with Conner link, drop in colander and clean, dry for 5 minutes, drop in wax for 15, pull out let cool and put it back on the chain. While the chain is in process I clean the rest of the bike. Easy peasy. Would never go back. I get compliments all the time and have converted friends to the cause. It helps that I offer to do the first wax on a new chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles