Waterproof trousers

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Not sure if this been covered before but going to get some waterproof trousers
I have two options I like
Endura mt500 2 waterproof trousers
Fox defend 3l waterproof trousers
Does anyone have either and what's the thoughts on them both?

Thanks

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I have the fox defend 3l ones in black, had them for a few years now still going strong, only issue is I'm getting a bit of a damp ass now so the waterproofing is maybe not as good as when new 👍

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Water proofing does degrade after time, especially if you machine wash them.

You can get re-water proofing sprays that will last 3-6 mounts depending on use.

If you want them to stay effective for as long as possible then a quick hand wash with as little soap as possible is best.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have Gore Endure Gore-tex trousers. I've been using them for years, and they're fantastic. They're an over trouser really, so I would wear either shorts under them on a reasonably warm day, and I wear a pair of padded ass bib tights under them on a colder day.

I've only washed them a handful of times, as you can wipe / hose the mud off. I use Nikwax when I wash them to make sure they retain their waterproof coating and bead up when wet.

I have the same Gore Endure, but as shorts too that I wear a lot of the time in summer - again, as an over short. In Scotland, even on a nice sunny day, the trails are often soaking wet, so they prevent a soggy backside!!

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Just thinking of getting some Madison DTE 3 layer waterproof trousers from leisure lakes at £50. But at 34/35 waist I'm looking at XL size but that gets me 34” leg.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just thinking of getting some Madison DTE 3 layer waterproof trousers from leisure lakes at £50. But at 34/35 waist I'm looking at XL size but that gets me 34” leg.
I was just looking at them too after getting the email! I was surprised at the sizing... but they all come with over 33" legs, which is good for us tall people! I can't wear quite a lot of trousers, as being 6ft 2" tall with a 32" waist seems to be alien to most sportswear manufacturers!!
They think your either thin and small, or fat and tall 🙄😂

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
After reading some reviews they are very heavy and not as good as the fox ones. But at the price might be worth a punt. Or do I just replace my old army goretex over trousers?

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
In really muddy conditions I wear ex army surplus Gortex over trousers over a thin base layer , drop them in a carrier bag after the ride a jet was them when home.

However I have just ordered some Decathlon Rockrider water resistant trousers after reading some good reviews.
So look forward to trying these when santa delivers them 🙂

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
In really muddy conditions I wear ex army surplus Gortex over trousers over a thin base layer , drop them in a carrier bag after the ride a jet was them when home.

However I have just ordered some Decathlon Rockrider water resistant trousers after reading some good reviews.
So look forward to trying these when santa delivers them 🙂
I have the rockrider trousers and they are ok but I wouldn't consider them massively waterproof. They also have a tiny fly zip but that's not a problem for me 😱

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have both fox defend, and fox defend water.

The water ones are a lot heavier. But stay very dry. However you still sweat on the inside, and that then can't get out which can be unpleasant. I only use them for really tipping it down kind of days out. Or when very cold.

The (non water) defend are sort of splash proof, a lot more lightweight. They dry out quickly if gotten wet. You can wear them on hottish days too.

Both are comfortable, and have 2 small zipped pockets - a must have for me. Bulky pads also go underneath.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
After reading some reviews they are very heavy
Madison DTE? Heavy? They really aren't.

I've just got a £50 pair for when it's been raining, but isn't raining right now. For that I've got a Leatt romper suit.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Second that. I also have the Madison DTE and would not call them heavy, quite the opposite in fact.
They are also waterproof rated to 20000, same as the Endura mt500 2 so will repel water for longer, though this is subjective to other DWR coatings etc.

I believe the Fox defend 3l are 10000 rated but they also have a DWR coating and Cordura which is an abrasive resistant material, gives added protection if you have a spill and is more rugged, wont rip/tear as easily.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have the fox 3l and troy lee design resist. The troy lee's are better in every way. They have big vents with mesh when open and close with waterproof zips. That makes them waaay more versatile. I think thats the best thing about them. If i go out and gets too warm they dont feel like glorified garbage bags. They have better stretch, inside cuff protection , more roomy pockets, better waist with gripper and key pocket, the cut is better, and they were a better price. I have a bunch of tld stuff and a bunch of fox stuff. Im finding better durability and details in pretty much all the tld stuff. I stilll like fox fit generally and their use of the moto ratchet waist strap on everything but im finding flaws and lack of details. My gloves all died waay before the tld's. They didnt use to in the past. Last couple weeks ive had some comparisons after issues

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yup, on sale for 119cad. Shipping was quicker with tld than fox too and i collect points with tld. Waiting for some fox winter gloves to try. See how they compare to the tld swelter. Swelter is quality just not super warm or as warm as i thought theyd be. Description said fleecy inside. I'd csll it brushed. Good for fall and winter up to -3 ish i'd say.. Fox might be the same type

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I just bought a pair of last season ION Shelter 2L and they’re water resistant. DWR. durable water resistant or something like that. In the mud and pouring rain I would anyway put a waterproof trouser over the top though. For lighter rain or snow etc they’re great. Also 189cm and 96kg and 34” Large is a big snug at the waist but perfect length.
They do come in 2.5L and 3L versions too I believe for more money.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not sure if this been covered before but going to get some waterproof trousers
I have two options I like
Endura mt500 2 waterproof trousers
Fox defend 3l waterproof trousers
Does anyone have either and what's the thoughts on them both?

Thanks
If you're not too fussy Army surplus have goretex ones for £30. I chopped mine in to shorts not the best fit so I use braces . A lot of the ones I've seen just won't take the punishment with chaffing etc their like the jackets they sell they are so thin you scrape a hole far too easily.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Before you buy check out the differences between the Fox Defend 3L and 2.5L and the Fox Ranger 3L and 2.5L. The prices are all over the place too! You may get a bargain that still does the job for your ride.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If you're not too fussy Army surplus have goretex ones for £30. I chopped mine in to shorts not the best fit so I use braces . A lot of the ones I've seen just won't take the punishment with chaffing etc their like the jackets they sell they are so thin you scrape a hole far too easily.
I’ve done this too. Stick them on top of my trousers / tights on really minging days for an extra layer. They’re thick and pretty bulletproof. Look shit, but they work!
I’ve been taking a couple of large plastic boxes with lids out with me for the last couple of years now (in my boot). One for clean stuff, and one for dirty stuff. Throw the minging shorts / shoes etc in the dirty box after the ride to save it mixing with the semi clean stuff!

DaveG01

Mar 27, 2023
Shills
I crashed at DYFI in my brand new MT500. Gutted, just waiting to see the repair cost.🤞🏻

IMG_20231110_160710880.jpg IMG_20231115_163504814.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles