Waterproof jacket

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Any recommendations on these two please. Do you have either one.
Fox Defend 3 layer waterproof jacket
Endura MT500 waterproof jacket.11 two
I’ve got the MT500 which is really good and well made. A nice touch are the non slip bands on the shoulders to keep a backpack in place.
It has really large zip vents if it gets too hot.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As it happens I have a pair of Endura MT500 Waterproof Trousers II which I will not wear because for me they're a sweat bucket. I have avoided purchasing the matching jacket because it is probably the same material and construction.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
As it happens I have a pair of Endura MT500 Waterproof Trousers II which I will not wear because for me they're a sweat bucket. I have avoided purchasing the matching jacket because it is probably the same material and construction.
Good to know about the trousers.
I also wear shorts in the winter (like you I think) but I need to bundle up everywhere else. (Winter boots, winter gloves and 4 layers of clothing. I think I look like a Juggernaut from the waist up. So the MT500 jacket works well, but it won’t fit in my hip pack.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I also wear shorts in the winter (like you I think) but I need to bundle up everywhere else. (Winter boots, winter gloves and 4 layers of clothing. I think I look like a Juggernaut from the waist up. So the MT500 jacket works well, but it won’t fit in my hip pack.
In winter wear Endura Humvee trousers. In summer Sweet Protection Hunter Slashed shorts, or as below depending on the terrain.

Mine are Arc'teryx and I think may be an old version of Gamma LT men's pants/trousers.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Good to know about the jacket, might be tempted. In winter when really cold I wear my ODLO ski base layer plus Kjus Half Zip mid layer plus other stuff on top. As you say, the trick is multi-layering.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I've had one of these for a few years now, and it seems pretty bulletproof.
Water runs off it, and it's light enough to pack into the smallest of bags. Expensive, but quality.

I know it's neither that you've asked about... but it's a great jacket!!
Can you roll the hood up and attach it under the collar? Ask because don't like hoods flapping around when not in use.

Edit: completely forgot that I have a Berghaus Gore-Tex shell jacket that has a hood that does exactly this. Never thought of wearing it when riding! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can you roll the hood up and attach it under the collar? Ask because don't like hoods flapping around…
I thought of the hood issue too. It only flaps around and it’s difficult to tuck away …but I sometimes need it when I wear the MT500 for those downpours. It’s nice to have a hood.

I also have a ShowerPass rain jacket for MTBing. Heavy duty with a magnetic ass-flap. Great for really cold days when full coverage is needed.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I thought of the hood issue too. It only flaps around and it’s difficult to tuck away …but I sometimes need it when I wear the MT500 for those downpours. It’s nice to have a hood.

I also have a ShowerPass rain jacket for MTBing. Heavy duty with a magnetic ass-flap. Great for really cold days when full coverage is needed.
You/me might look like blobs but if at the end of the day we're warm and dry what's not to like? 👍

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I have a Showers Pass IMBA logoed one from a few years ago, designed for bike with longer tail and shoulder reinforcement for Camelback straps... not sure what they have today.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I have a Fox Ranger wind proof jacket that works in light drizzle and this I use SP jacket for heavier rain: Men's Elements Jacket | Showers Pass

I also have MT500 Splash pants that keep ass dry but not rest of you (but unless it’s freezing rain) I don’t mind wet legs.
I‘m not sure we have true waterproof options without some of the steamy internal affect.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Can you roll the hood up and attach it under the collar? Ask because don't like hoods flapping around when not in use.

Edit: completely forgot that I have a Berghaus Gore-Tex shell jacket that has a hood that does exactly this. Never thought of wearing it when riding! :rolleyes:
No, it’s out all the time.
I did worry about that when I got it… but I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it flapping about to be honest. It’s quite ‘fitted’.

They did sell a non hooded one when I got mine - not sure it’s available anymore. I got about 30% off the hooded one, which is why I went with it!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I used a Vaude escape I had three before they discontinued. I use various jackets as in winter they get covered in mud and prefer to let dry rather than wash

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I think anything properly waterproof becomes a bit of a sweat bag, even if it's a Goretex type material.

I mostly wear a very simple 100% Merino base under a Fox Defend jacket. It's a more than warm enough combo even in this weather.
The jacket wasn't cheap, but it gets used a lot and is still good as new, apart from the cowshit, that's more phew than new.

I've got a few Endura products, usually bought after reading some 'group test' where the item was 'best in test', and have been disappointed by virtually everything I've had of theirs, for one reason or another.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I think anything properly waterproof becomes a bit of a sweat bag, even if it's a Goretex type material.

I mostly wear a very simple 100% Merino base under a Fox Defend jacket. It's a more than warm enough combo even in this weather.
The jacket wasn't cheap, but it gets used a lot and is still good as new, apart from the cowshit, that's more phew than new.

I've got a few Endura products, usually bought after reading some 'group test' where the item was 'best in test', and have been disappointed by virtually everything I've had of theirs, for one reason or another.
Agreed anything goretex can't be washed too often . A oilskin is waterproof but gets wet inside and not flexibile. Plus we don't know how long people are actually wanting to cycling for in the rain . Two hours in summer great but four in winter 😔. Enjoy the rain.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Agreed anything goretex can't be washed too often . A oilskin is waterproof but gets wet inside and not flexibile. Plus we don't know how long people are actually wanting to cycling for in the rain . Two hours in summer great but four in winter 😔. Enjoy the rain.
I'm out in all weather. If I waited for dry conditions I'd never be out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought for a while Cannonfodder was revving up to say something...it would appear he has taken a bit of a huff with me but it seems he just likes to hide behind😡 emoji's
😂
I'm sure you're both old enough and ugly enough to see the funnyside behind all the comments - and hopefully kiss and make up.. not kiss with makeup, there could be too much evidence.. Aren't you both northerners ? How come any of you are wearing jackets anyway ?

Anyway, there's a new boots thread now which is ripe for some abuse ! FIGHT !

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Trouble with this thread is nobody is willing or saying how many times they are washing the jackets or how often being used . I'm out usually three times a week for three hours circa 25 miles So i tend to rotate jackets and trousers depending on how wet it has been . I don't tend to wash jackets as usually only the bottom of the back is clartit
( all hail to the Mudhugger) . Remember there's rain and then there's rain they spell the same but humongous difference. Rant over . Take care out there .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Trouble with this thread is nobody is willing or saying how many times they are washing the jackets or how often being used . I'm out usually three times a week for three hours circa 25 miles So i tend to rotate jackets and trousers depending on how wet it has been . I don't tend to wash jackets as usually only the bottom of the back is clartit
( all hail to the Mudhugger) . Remember there's rain and then there's rain they spell the same but humongous difference. Rant over . Take care out there .
Pretty much the same as you in terms of washing the Jacket as once its washed it gets re-proofed too..
Just letting it dry then using a stiff( ish ) brush keeps it proofed for a good while ..
In terms of re-proofing ..this stuff is the very best ..
Before the Nikwax & Grangers fan boys come shouting the odds ..I've used both and it comes nowhere near in terms of effectiveness..but actually sourcing some can be a problem as it sells out as soon as it is in stock !
As its a German company buying from EU can work out very expensive ..but there is a new UK online site which the link above will take you to ..( its currently out of stock ..)

I've also found the Mucoff spray to be reasonable too ..

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Ordered Saturday evening, arrived today am. Thanks once again for all your input. (y)
218AF49B-9B71-42CD-976F-D92337A785B8.jpeg

Maxi

Oct 5, 2021
Cumbria
Today's attire . Cut off wellies were better than I expected them to be , ok for nothing too technical

View attachment 109147
Seeing the get-up reminded me that I need to research the dirtlej onesie - came across someone wearing one on a local ride and he couldn't speak highly enough of them. Expensive but at the end of your ride, you remove and you're dry below.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Seeing the get-up reminded me that I need to research the dirtlej onesie - came across someone wearing one on a local ride and he couldn't speak highly enough of them. Expensive but at the end of your ride, you remove and you're dry below.

It would appear that Herbert E ..the last person to comment on the review section isn't too impressed 🤔

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

I would be grieved getting that covered in mud it's expensive 😩. My get up was free from a ship I was on . I just hose it down and hang on the tow . I've only started wearing it on the bike to be honest. It's OK for Sea kayak in a loch in summer and ruined a few caving. Used to have loads but retired now so on last one .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles