Tell me about trail pants

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
This probably sounds like a stupid question to UK members, but I've NEVER seen a pair of long trail mtb pants in Australia and I'm wondering if the tech has advanced enough to be worth considering?

What I'd love is something that offers moderate lower leg protection against pedal puncture / mosquito bites etc. So kevlar or super fabric from below the knee guards? I'm only really interested in puncture resistance below the knee . Ie I want to reduce infections after the pedals bite , I don't care about the pain from bruising. Shin pads are probably a smarter choice?

Sun protection would be nice - I've had a few cancers sliced out and would prefer to slow the process down.

I'd prefer not to wear a clown suit , but at the end of the day I don't have to look at myself so anything that's not criminally absurd is fine. For the record, covering up my legs is probably considered a community service so even the most absurd clown suit could be justified to the fashion police.

It gets hot here , and humid. And dusty. Does the dust mix with sweat and turn into grinding paste between the pants and your shins? Do you secretly enjoy that?

Nb these are for trail riding . So I need to comfortably ride 20- 50 km of blue / black runs both up and down hill. On a levo SL, so I'll be spinning the cranks. We've had a LOT of rain this year and the trackside grass is getting uncomfortably close - I guess snake protection is too much to hope for?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What you're describing would be DH pants (or even moto)
Trail pants are thin materail that would offer less protection than a pair of jeans.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does the dust mix with sweat and turn into grinding paste between the pants and your shins? Do you secretly enjoy that?
How exactly are you imagining this dust is going to get between your trousers and shins in the first place? :unsure:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
How exactly are you imagining this dust is going to get between your trousers and shins in the first place? :unsure:
We have tons of clay dust on the California trails I ride, especially in late summer when it hasn't rained for 6 months. That dust gets EVERYWHERE. I'm just guessing here, but I think the super fine stuff gets between the threads of the weave.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
This probably sounds like a stupid question to UK members, but I've NEVER seen a pair of long trail mtb pants in Australia and I'm wondering if the tech has advanced enough to be worth considering?

What I'd love is something that offers moderate lower leg protection against pedal puncture / mosquito bites etc. So kevlar or super fabric from below the knee guards? I'm only really interested in puncture resistance below the knee . Ie I want to reduce infections after the pedals bite , I don't care about the pain from bruising. Shin pads are probably a smarter choice?

Sun protection would be nice - I've had a few cancers sliced out and would prefer to slow the process down.

I'd prefer not to wear a clown suit , but at the end of the day I don't have to look at myself so anything that's not criminally absurd is fine. For the record, covering up my legs is probably considered a community service so even the most absurd clown suit could be justified to the fashion police.

It gets hot here , and humid. And dusty. Does the dust mix with sweat and turn into grinding paste between the pants and your shins? Do you secretly enjoy that?

Nb these are for trail riding . So I need to comfortably ride 20- 50 km of blue / black runs both up and down hill. On a levo SL, so I'll be spinning the cranks. We've had a LOT of rain this year and the trackside grass is getting uncomfortably close - I guess snake protection is too much to hope for?

We wear these pants in the winter around here (BC), when its cold. They are reinforced at the knees and are easy to pedal in. Lots of riders wear long pants/knee pads/t-shirts or the full on clown suit (matching multi color pants and shirt) at Whistler but at 40+ C degrees I am already melting so I always wear shorts with knee pads. No snakes to worry about but we do have lots of bears!

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019

Imagine the sort of dust that gets past vehicle airfilters, but when you add water it turns into super fine cutting paste. Then imagine it's nasty Australian cousin with a bad attitude.

We wear these pants in the winter around here (BC), when its cold. They are reinforced at the knees and are easy to pedal in. Lots of riders wear long pants/knee pads/t-shirts or the full on clown suit (matching multi color pants and shirt) at Whistler but at 40+ C degrees I am already melting so I always wear shorts with knee pads. No snakes to worry about but we do have lots of bears!

Thanks, that's close but I'm dreaming of something that has tough enough shin sections to be useful.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I wear 100% trail/dh pants for quite a bit of the year. They have breathing holes so dust and mud does get in a bit. If it is humid, I'd say no, keep to shorts and maybe some enduro sleeve shin/knee guards.

Trail pants are great though. Stacks end up with less skin removal. Maybe check out what Jack Moir wears up in his neck of the woods.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I just checked your location. You'd get a solid chunk of the year in pants over in Gippsland.

Except we're in the rain shadow between the strezleckis and great divide , I swear it's 4 degrees hotter in summer than along the coast ( the sea breeze takes forever to kick in)

Then again, over Summer we head into the ranges ( when there are no fires )

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I wear 100% trail/dh pants for quite a bit of the year. They have breathing holes so dust and mud does get in a bit. If it is humid, I'd say no, keep to shorts and maybe some enduro sleeve shin/knee guards.

Trail pants are great though. Stacks end up with less skin removal. Maybe check out what Jack Moir wears up in his neck of the woods.

Is this what you mean? They sound like what I'm after - vented above the knee, sturdy below?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Imagine the sort of dust that gets past vehicle airfilters, but when you add water it turns into super fine cutting paste. Then imagine it's nasty Australian cousin with a bad attitude.
Honestly can't imagine dust getting through clothing. But in Australia nature sure does hit different

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Some kind of whyte dust goes in through the nose and reach the skin and clothes when you sweat. High tech border control can even detec that

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I wear light breathable rock climbing trousers with baggy knees so plenty of pedaling space in the knees. My wife took in the bottom of the legs enough to stop loose fabric catching anything and big enough to just get feet through. Wear them all through the summer and really like the protection from brambles, branches, and low vegetation trying to puncture my legs. When required my POC Joint VPD knee pads fit nicely underneath.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Is this what you mean? They sound like what I'm after - vented above the knee, sturdy below?

They're the ones. They're much more comfy than I expected. Knee pads are fine underneath.

I'd switch to shorts and enduro sleeves for summer. Shorts let more air move around the top of your legs. Let's face it, you're still going to lose skin at times.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I wear light breathable rock climbing trousers with baggy knees so plenty of pedaling space in the knees. My wife took in the bottom of the legs enough to stop loose fabric catching anything and big enough to just get feet through. Wear them all through the summer and really like the protection from brambles, branches, and low vegetation trying to puncture my legs. When required my POC Joint VPD knee pads fit nicely underneath.

would you believe a mate turned up today wearing mountain climbing pants? EXACTLY what I'm after- light, breathable, stretchy and articulated but much more abrasion resistant than any mtb shorts I've seen. Nice and subtle, as well - thanks for the suggestion.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
At the risk of public humiliation.....has anyone tried horse riding jodhpurs?

Eg Peter Williams Cross Country JODHPURS - Mens

I'd draw the line at breeches....

Good thinking, but they're weird sizing. Inside leg measurement for all of them is 80cm! That's OK if you're small.

Also the knees aren't articulated - I suppose horse riders have nearly straight legs while sitting, unless you're a jocky.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
They're the ones. They're much more comfy than I expected. Knee pads are fine underneath.

I'd switch to shorts and enduro sleeves for summer. Shorts let more air move around the top of your legs. Let's face it, you're still going to lose skin at times.

Update - I scored a set of those 100% dh x's as well as some light weight mountain climbing pants. Both were 50% off so I could justify buying 2 :)

The 100% pants are amazing - far more features than I expected from the advertising - eg the calf area has perforations, the cut and stretch panels are awesome on the bike. It'll be interesting to see if they help skin vs pedal

I'll reserve the mountain climbing pants for other activities or when I'm going to be in public during rides. They're nice, but the dedicated cycling pants look more suitable for cycling - not surprisingly

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
This probably sounds like a stupid question to UK members, but I've NEVER seen a pair of long trail mtb pants in Australia a

Really? I see them all the time in Victoria, Australia. Most people wear Decathalon or similar long track pants by any sports brand to protect against ferns and other Aussie plants that whip you, cold or sunburn. These are like Ron hills in the UK. Troy Lee undershorts provide protection and comfort. Baggy shorts get caught on things and are fading out of use. All the bike mags this year have baggier pants at 100+ bucks on now too. Dharco etc.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
would you believe a mate turned up today wearing mountain climbing pants? EXACTLY what I'm after- light, breathable, stretchy and articulated but much more abrasion resistant than any mtb shorts I've seen. Nice and subtle, as well - thanks for the suggestion.

Mine are Arc'teryx and I think may be an old version of Gamma LT men's pants/trousers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles