IMG_20200620_151921.jpg

IMG_20200620_151906.jpg

IMG_20200620_151840.jpg

IMG_20200620_151826.jpg

IMG_20200620_151813.jpg

Product name: Nukeproof black line trail pants
Price paid: 89.5 USD + overseas shipping total 101$
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Ok, I want to start out by saying these are an amazing, quality, nice looking! Pair of pants..
You could definitely wear them "out on the town"... And no one would be the wiser! They look so nice..
They only come in matte black( would have preffered a choice of colors) but they look great! With the nukeproof logo and the tiny laser cut breathing holes in the front of the pantleg.
My biggest surprise was how light! They are.. only 100g! Felt about the weight of a pair of padded riding shorts!
The material is verry "breathy" and thin and verry stretchy! yet seems verry strong.
The two button snaps and hidden fly zipper seem verry good quality, and the silicon striping inside the waistband keeps them from falling off your ass, as do the two Velcro adjustment straps. That being said, personally would prefer a belt or ratchet type closure, but more on that later.
The two zippered pockets are verry nicely done and the left one has a keychain loop, but no hook. (so how do you connect your keys to it!?)
The pant legs are snug, and taper down to fit inside your shoes. But the strechy material allowed me to wear my G-Form pro x knee pads under them no problem! But I'm not sure you could wear "hard shell" downhill style knee armor under them..
The fit was great, and spot on from there size chart, I am 187cm tall inseam of 85, hips 92, waist 95 and the large size fit me perfectly!
My first impression after my first few rides - wearing them over my regular paded tights, was they were Soo cool and comfortable, I forgot I was wearing them!!!
But even more amazing was when I got home and tried to wash them, I could not get them wet! The water just fell off of them! Had to soak them and handwash them for like ten minutes before I could get them wet enough to clean them??
Basically these are a verry light and cool pair of pants, great for summer trail riding or winter trail riding as they shed water amazingly, hug your skin and you simply forget they are there!
On the downside... And this is only my Personal opinion and preferences.. but here they are:
The product pictures supplied by nukeproof make it verry hard to see what it is your getting for your money, especially as they are black. also the specs. Say nothing of the exact weight or thickness of the material, so basically I bought them "on faith" and by the few reviews there were.. so added close up pics here for all to see, and decide for themselves.
Basically these are verry "lightweight" style pants, I personally wear an old pair of thick "azonic" mx style pants that are verry thick and protective dh style pants, year around. I like the protection they provide from scrapes and scratches and stickers.. and was looking for something similar, but slightly lighter maybe. I don't believe these will give me any protection in a fall or in stickers? so why wear long pants at all?? If they offer no protection? Where is the advantage? Might as well wear shorts. I don't know, still not decided on this. I think I will wear them in summer, on "lighter" rides, an continue wearing my old heavy pants on Wilder dh style rides.
My third point is the lack of a belt or ratchet type of closing buckle. I just don't feel secure with Velcro strechy straps.. but that's just me.
Lastly, the pocket keychain loop, how are we supposed to use it?? With no hook style clip to hold our keys? And why the left pocket!? When like 90 percent of people are right handed so put there keys in the right hand pocket!? Aggrevating..
Also, the pant legs.. as they are trying to keep them out of your chain, they are tight and snug to your calf. But if they don't cover your shoes, that means all the trail crap is going straight into your shoe! Even wearing high top five tens!
This is a big problem for me in our dry dusty climate, constantly getting rocks and stickers into my shoe, having to stop and remove them.. annoying.
And lastly, although they shed water amazingly! I would not wear them in anything but mild weather, as they are Soo thin.. I would freeze my ass off!?

Summary:
Pros -
Great build quality!
Great looking!
Comfortable! Great fit.
Cool and breezy! Thin strechy material.
Shed water!!!
Tight, snug, "no snag" fit.
Great pockets!
Cons -
No real protection, not much different from wearing shorts.
Too thin to provide any warmth for winter riding.
Not sure how the thin material will endure falls and crashes, time will tell.
No "buckle", only buttons..
Won't keep trail debris out of your shoes.
Will update my review in the long run..
Tim

Edit: after a few rides..
Well, it didn't take long to put them to the test! Saturday morning was hot and humid (35deg. C) so decided to wear the blackline instead of my trusty mx pants..and took a spill on a surprise loose downhill turn, sliding on my right side till my right leg impacted on a rock... Luckily my elbow and knee guards took the hit, but below my right knee my shin was really hit hard and banged up...the pants survived without a tear or even a scuff! But can't help but think I would have fared better with my old pants..
Still in pain with a swollen leg, hope to get back riding soon.
But no complaints about the pants, they held up, and are like new! ?
One other little gripe though.. the material is soooo strechy.. it catches on the nose of my seat! Instead of just sliding over it, when getting back in the saddle.. a little annoying..
Tim.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I personally wear an old pair of thick "azonic" mx style pants that are verry thick and protective dh style pants, year around. I like the protection they provide from scrapes and scratches and stickers.. and was looking for something similar
Those style pants are far too hot and restrictive for all day pedalling that includes a lot of climbing on normal bikes. ie. Enduro. Nukeproofs main market is the UK Enduro scene.

I don't believe these will give me any protection in a fall or in stickers so why wear long pants at all?? If they offer no protection? Where is the advantage?
The advantage is you can wear the pants over whatever protection you prefer. or as I do, wear no protection at all. ;) making them pretty versatile.

Lastly, the pocket keychain loop, how are we supposed to use it?? With no hook style clip to hold our keys? And why the left pocket!? When like 90 percent of people are right handed so put there keys in the right hand pocket!? Aggrevating..
firstly you just need to add a clip to your keys
Most younger *ahem* riders tend to keep a $1000 iPhone in their RIGHT pocket to be easy to reach for instbangers etc. set of keys scratching the screen wouldn't exactly be ideal. Hence the keyring hook being in the other pocket.
How often are you reaching for your keys during a ride that you find using your left hand "aggrevating" ?

Also, the pant legs.. as they are trying to keep them out of your chain, they are tight and snug to your calf. But if they don't cover your shoes, that means all the trail crap is going straight into your shoe! Even wearing high top five tens!
Again. Youngsters.
Tight trousers became fashionable a fair while back here in the UK (where Nukeproof is from) and has now snuck into the Enduro/DH scene at world level.

They're not for everyone. Get the felling 50+ Ebike riders aren't really who Nukeproof aimed this product at?

I have a pair given to me at launch. I think I've worn them twice as I'm just not a skinny jeans sorta guy

Last edited:

Baffled 1

Nov 10, 2019
Warwick
Good write up I ordered a pair last week but sent them back. Nothing to do with quality it's just the leg length was terrible I'm a 33" leg but I was not expecting how short the length of pant come in. And far as I am aware Nukeproof don't offer leg length.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm looking at a pair of these, @Tim69 can you set the velcro to it's loosest, lay them flat and put a tape measure accross them please?

@Gary, what size have you got?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Medium mate

I'm 5'11" 34" waist, 33" inseam

(I've tried the Large too and they were too big)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
just the leg length was terrible I'm a 33" leg but I was not expecting how short the length of pant come in.
That surprises me. I'm 33" inseam too and the length of the Mediums is just right.
mine are from the first batch last summer though so maybe they've changed them.

[EDIT] just a thought, with knee pads under them they might well Michael Jackson around the ankle area ;)
I don't wear knee pads though.
"Shamone!" "eeeh heee"

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
את
I'm looking at a pair of these, @Tim69 can you set the velcro to it's loosest, lay them flat and put a tape measure accross them please?

@Gary, what size have you got?
Not sure what your wanting to measure, but set the Velcro to is loosest, and measured across the waist, hope this helps!
Tim

IMG_20200621_061416.jpg

IMG_20200621_061124.jpg

IMG_20200621_061057.jpg

donatasjuraitis9

Dec 18, 2020
Vilnius
Product Image: View attachment 33941
View attachment 33942
View attachment 33943
View attachment 33944
View attachment 33945
View attachment 33946
View attachment 33947
View attachment 33948
View attachment 33949
View attachment 33950

Review: Ok, I want to start out by saying these are an amazing, quality, nice looking! Pair of pants..
You could definitely wear them "out on the town"... And no one would be the wiser! They look so nice..
They only come in matte black( would have preffered a choice of colors) but they look great! With the nukeproof logo and the tiny laser cut breathing holes in the front of the pantleg.
My biggest surprise was how light! They are.. only 100g! Felt about the weight of a pair of padded riding shorts!
The material is verry "breathy" and thin and verry stretchy! yet seems verry strong.
The two button snaps and hidden fly zipper seem verry good quality, and the silicon striping inside the waistband keeps them from falling off your ass, as do the two Velcro adjustment straps. That being said, personally would prefer a belt or ratchet type closure, but more on that later.
The two zippered pockets are verry nicely done and the left one has a keychain loop, but no hook. (so how do you connect your keys to it!?)
The pant legs are snug, and taper down to fit inside your shoes. But the strechy material allowed me to wear my G-Form pro x knee pads under them no problem! But I'm not sure you could wear "hard shell" downhill style knee armor under them..
The fit was great, and spot on from there size chart, I am 187cm tall inseam of 85, hips 92, waist 95 and the large size fit me perfectly!
My first impression after my first few rides - wearing them over my regular paded tights, was they were Soo cool and comfortable, I forgot I was wearing them!!!
But even more amazing was when I got home and tried to wash them, I could not get them wet! The water just fell off of them! Had to soak them and handwash them for like ten minutes before I could get them wet enough to clean them??
Basically these are a verry light and cool pair of pants, great for summer trail riding or winter trail riding as they shed water amazingly, hug your skin and you simply forget they are there!
On the downside... And this is only my Personal opinion and preferences.. but here they are:
The product pictures supplied by nukeproof make it verry hard to see what it is your getting for your money, especially as they are black. also the specs. Say nothing of the exact weight or thickness of the material, so basically I bought them "on faith" and by the few reviews there were.. so added close up pics here for all to see, and decide for themselves.
Basically these are verry "lightweight" style pants, I personally wear an old pair of thick "azonic" mx style pants that are verry thick and protective dh style pants, year around. I like the protection they provide from scrapes and scratches and stickers.. and was looking for something similar, but slightly lighter maybe. I don't believe these will give me any protection in a fall or in stickers? so why wear long pants at all?? If they offer no protection? Where is the advantage? Might as well wear shorts. I don't know, still not decided on this. I think I will wear them in summer, on "lighter" rides, an continue wearing my old heavy pants on Wilder dh style rides.
My third point is the lack of a belt or ratchet type of closing buckle. I just don't feel secure with Velcro strechy straps.. but that's just me.
This is a big problem for me in our dry dusty climate, constantly getting rocks and stickers into my shoe, having to stop and remove them.. annoying.
And lastly, although they shed water amazingly! I would not wear them in anything but mild weather, as they are Soo thin.. I would freeze my ass off!?

Summary:
Pros -
Great build quality!
Great looking!
Comfortable! Great fit.
Shed water!!!
Great pockets!
Cons -
Tim

Well, it didn't take long to put them to the test! Saturday morning was hot and humid (35deg. C) so decided to wear the blackline instead of my trusty mx pants..and took a spill on a surprise loose downhill turn, sliding on my right side till my right leg impacted on a rock... Luckily my elbow and knee guards took the hit, but below my right knee my shin was really hit hard and banged up...the pants survived without a tear or even a scuff! But can't help but think I would have fared better with my old pants..
One other little gripe though.. the material is soooo strechy.. it catches on the nose of my seat! Instead of just sliding over it, when getting back in the saddle.. a little annoying..
Tim.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your opinion!

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
I own a pair of these great fit I’m a 31inch waist and very comfy ,yes they’re not warm on very cold days but Id definitely buy another pair as for protection regarding water mmm not the best the dwr covering not as good as a pair of the nukeproof shorts I own .

Ray_c_au

Mar 30, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
is the adjustable waistband, a floating stretchy band with Velcro in the ends? If so, I’ll be trying to remove it and add a belt and have two belt loops sewn on the front of the pants

abdros99

Feb 27, 2023
It
Product Image: View attachment 33941
View attachment 33942
View attachment 33943
View attachment 33944
View attachment 33945
View attachment 33946
View attachment 33947
View attachment 33948
View attachment 33949
View attachment 33950

Summary:
Pros -
Great build quality!
Great looking!
Comfortable! Great fit.
Shed water!!!
Great pockets!
Cons -
Tim

Tim.
@Tim69 How did it behave in the rain after several washes? Because a DWR pant, after a few washes it loses its waterproofness. I wanted to buy the Nukeproof blackline, but I needed totally waterproof, non-water-repellent trousers, but I read from some reviews that they aren't so waterproof as to stay dry if you go into the woods in winter with a lot of humidity. However, I would be happy to find trousers that combine Gore-Tex and a more elastic fabric, so as to combine waterproofness and elasticity.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
@Tim69 How did it behave in the rain after several washes? Because a DWR pant, after a few washes it loses its waterproofness. I wanted to buy the Nukeproof blackline, but I needed totally waterproof, non-water-repellent trousers, but I read from some reviews that they aren't so waterproof as to stay dry if you go into the woods in winter with a lot of humidity. However, I would be happy to find trousers that combine Gore-Tex and a more elastic fabric, so as to combine waterproofness and elasticity.
they are not waterproof, they will bead up the water and after a considerable number of washes, mine still do.
for full waterproof I use the fox ranger 3L but wish I had bought something else as they are a bit too tight for me, totally waterproof though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles