Comparison of Rocky Mountain Altitude Carbon 50 and Specialized Turbo Levo Comp

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
After over 30 years riding both MTB's and road bikes...and Muni's, I've decided to get an Emtb. After much searching and reading and checking locally, I narrowed it down to two bikes: The Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay 50, or the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp. I couldn't find a review that included and compared both bikes, even with different years and models. Even those shoot outs with a dozen bikes, one or the other was missing. Frustrating!! So I decided to rent a demo of each on the same weekend to compare and see if that could help finalize my decision.

To keep it fair as possible, I decided to do the same ride twice in a row. That way my faltering memory could retain the feel of the first during various sections as I did the second ride. I chose a route close to home so I could do a fairly quick bike swap. Which narrowed the choices a bit. I chose a ride we do a lot that has a mix of fire road, twisty trails, and some technical rocky sections and not so long (just 10 miles) that I would run out of time after the end of the first ride. Both bikes came with the stock tires and both were tubeless. I was excited and ready to go! This should be fun!

First batter up: the 2019 Turbo Levo Comp
Prior to starting I connected to the Mission Control App. I really appreciated the flexibility to set each power mode with both Support and Peak Levels. Could defintely tell when the motor sensed I needed more power and would seamlessly provide it. I had the three modes set as follows: Eco 25/45, Trail 40/60, Turbo 75/75. Acceleration Response 80%. In hindsight, I would probably lower the Peak levels on E&T to retain greater battery life.

I haven't had much time on 29ers and could see right away that the larger wheels not only add momentum, especially on flats and descents, but also add confidence and iron out challenging sections. The bike always felt smooth and comfortable, and the one word that came to mind was floating. Grip was good both up and down, and the only time I found the stock tires wanting was when the trail was both very sandy and technical. Over very technical terrain the bike was awesome, making what has always been challenging almost too easy. The few times I stood and hammered, I felt the bike was a bit "heavy", but found I didn't really need to stand as the motor would take care of the times that would normally be necessary.

Other reviewers have said the Levo's motor is silent. This was not. I checked with dealer who assured me this was not one of those faulty loud Brose motors. Just that the 2019 motor is louder than the 2018. It was not a big deal. Just noticed it whenever the motor was working. I also noticed the motor didn't instantly stop with pedaling. Which is fine 99% of the time.

There's one section of trail that is brutal..about 10 successive switchbacks that get progressively steeper starting at 15% and maxing at a whopping 28%. At the top of each section is a block of wood for hikers. These are I'm guessing 10-12 or more inches. On a regular bike, most capable riders can't make it all the way, though I've done it once or twice. Combining the motor and 29 wheels, it was almost too easy. I didn't even lift the front end at the steps, just plowed up and over, brake, make the 45% turn, plow up the next. Was amazing. On twisty fast single track the bike handled well, though just a bit of a bear, again because of the larger wheels.

I also appreciated the 11 gears in the cassette, and found shifting response was reliable, most of the time. Oh, the saddle. Hated it. I prefer WTB saddles and was sore on the Levo saddle. Not a dealbreaker as I could easily switch out. But really hated it.

iWok. Found the position a little awkward and would sometimes have to look when I changed power modes.

Dropper: worked fine and not as radical a b-buster as on the 2018 Levo. Got the saddle down enough, at least for me.

Appearance: The Levo is a great looking bike. It's a bit non-discreet, which can be a good thing.

Ride stats from the Levo ride from Strava, Garmin and Motion Control:
Moving time 1h 11m, distance 10.4 miles, elevation gain 2,012 ft., estimated average power 149w, energy output 641 kJ. Average speed 8.7mp/h. And lastly, the all important battery life. Remaining: 67%. I stayed in the Eco and Trail modes the entire ride, never using Turbo.

Next, drive home, grab a bite to eat, switch bikes, head back. Was now 2:00 pm and a bit hotter. The bike is the 2018 RM Altitude PP Carbon 50.

Second batter up, the 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay Carbon 50
Rocky Mountain uses Ebikemotion app when setting up before the ride I tried to find a middle point for the power mode settings since it doesn't offer the support and peak power options like the Mission Control. They really should consider a software update to provide this if possible. So I set to Eco: 31%, Trail 57%, and Ludicrous/turbo 81%. I would normally have Eco at 20-25% and Trail at 40% but wanted to try to get a fair comparison of battery life, and being trail side, punted.

Being a 27.5 wheel set-up, the bike felt lighter, more agile and more responsive right away. While it still had some of the point and shoot characteristics of the 29er, it required a bit more input, which is, to me, more natural and what I'm used to.

There's so much chatter (pun intended) out there about the chain noise on the Rocky Mountains, and of course I noticed it right away. Whereas the Levo only has the noise when the motor is engaged, the Rocky Mountain chain noise is there to some degree most of the time, though it is never what I would call loud, and ranged from almost nonexistent, to more pronounced when the drive is under strain. As far as noise from the motor, I never heard that at all, ever. Which surprised me. No whining, humming...nothing. I've been told there are some inexpensive parts from the 2019/2020 bikes that will reduce the noise considerably on the 2018. It's a non-issue for me, but suppose I would put them on if I got the bike. But I quickly got used to the sound and even used it to judge strain on drivetrain.

On the first climb I definitely noticed that power band was more fixed than than Levo, but it never lacked for power. I think there's a sensor that kicks in when extra torque is necessary. So while it's not managed in the app, is more seamless and just ..there. The big question is the SRAM e-bike drivetrain of 8 gears. I did find I was shifting less frequently. And I found the range of 8 gears sufficient. But having one more higher and lower gear wouldn't be a bad thing either. And then there's the replacement cost for the cassette. Definitely a nod to the Levo in that regard. Though if I could get a lot more mileage from the SRAM would be closer to a wash.

The Altitude was also a comfortable ride. The positioning is a bit different from the Levo, and there were a few times I found myself shifting weight forward a bit on very steep sections, but it climbed great as well. On the 10 steep step section mentioned above I did do the point and push just to see if it would do it, and found that only on one very high step I was inclined to lift the front end. But like the Levo, it made this exceptionally hard section pretty easy. There was no extra push from the motor when I stopped pedaling, which I appreciated after clearing each step preparing for the 45 degree turn. On twisty flowing singletrack, the Rocky Mountain felt more nimble and responded better than the Levo when I needed a quick change of direction.Again, probably tire size.

I did feel like I was riding a bit slower overall on the Rocky Mountain. And figured it could be due to the fact that this was the second ride, and it was a bit hotter in mid-day in So Cal in August. Or perhaps the wheel size difference. Or greater range of gearing. So I was surprised when I looked at the stats after the ride.

The motor cover on the Altitude is, in my opinion, a bit vulnerable to damage if not careful going over fallen trees or rocks that might hit the bb. The shell is plastic and would think it could crack with a sufficient impact. But being plastic, imagine it's cheap to replace. Unlike one person who posted about pant leg getting caught in it..well yeah...jeesh...I don't ride in "pants" and if I did, would use velcro strap anyway. He must have had some bad experiences with that. I guess it's possible to have something wedge in there, but realistically do not see that happening. And the cover is easily removed if necessary. I also found that there are after market protective shields available for that section.

iWok. Found it easy to use and in a great position. While it doesn't have the full battery readout of the Levo on the top tube, the color coding was enough to be aware at a glance. And there's a subtle buzz when you change power modes. So it was basically all feel and easy to use. I know some people have commented on it feeling cheap. I found it the opposite and good quality.

Saddle: mucho better. My butt was much happier. Again, not a big deal but one less thing to have to change out.

Dropper: pretty perfect and got the saddle completely out of the way at lowest setting. Much lower than I've ever experienced with others. Was smooth and responsive as well.

Appearance: The 2018 Carbon Altitude looks awesome in shiny black with the yellow trim. Like the Levo and others, a quick glance at the bottom and you know it's an ebike. and it does have the funky and unique chain pulley thing going. But to me it looks like it's hungry and wants to go kill something. Does that matter? Not really. Just saying. The color choices on the 2020 are nice too..prefer the blue over the beige but then, it's personal preference. But that black on the 2018 is mean looking.

Braking was superb on both bikes, as they each have the same SRAM system.

Ride stats from RM Altitude from Strava, Garmin and Ebikemotion app:
Moving time 1h 9m, distance 10.4 miles, elevation gain 2,091 ft., estimated average power 155w, energy output 647 kJ. Average speed 9.0 mp/h. And again, the all important battery life. Remaining: 76%. I stayed in the Eco and Trail modes the entire ride, never using Turbo or what I think they call Ludicrous.

Conclusions

I really enjoyed riding both bikes. I was surprised that I did the ride a touch faster on the Rocky Mountain as the effort felt like it was a bit harder, and I thought the difference would be much greater. Taking a closer look and comparison of trail sections I can see why. The Levo was a marginally better climber, and the Altitude a marginally better descender.

Here are some random sections from the rides with average grade for each section, and average speeds.

Climbing
1. 7% grade Levo 7.6m/hr RM 7.3 m/hr
2. 16% Levo 2.1 m/hr RM 2.0 m/hr
3. 10% Levo 6.0 m/hr RM 6.4 m/hr
4. 18% Levo 5.0 m/h RM 4.8 m/hr
5. 15% Levo 4.8 m/hr RM 3.9 m/hr
6. 10% Levo 7.8 m/hr RM 6.3 m/hr
7. 9% Levo 7.7 m/hr RM 6.4 m/hr
8. 9% Levo 7.7 m/hr RM 4.7 m/hr
9. 6% Levo 8.5 m/hr RM 7.8 m/hr
10. 11% Levo 5.7 m/hr RM 5.8 m/hr

So, generally speaking the Levo was a better climber than the Altitude. And the power readings verify with 149 Watt average on the Levo, and 155 W on the Altitude. I was working just a little harder with the sort-of matched power levels. Energy outputs of 641 kJ for Levo and 647 kJ for RM super close though.

Descending:
1. -11% Levo 8.2 m/hr RM 8.2 m/hr
2. -10% Levo 9.2 m/hr RM 10.3 m/hr
3. -5% Levo 9.7 m/hr RM 10.9 m/hr
4. -11% Levo 10.6 m/hr RM 11.6 m/hr
etc. etc. etc.
Again, the second ride was in hottest part of day on the RM but don't think that played into it. So, generally speaking, the Altitude seemed to be the faster downhill. It certainly felt that way and was more lively. Felt like a difference of a Cadillac (Levo) just flowing over things, and a Porsche (Altitude) playing with the trail more. Reality Check: Can't really do more on the downhill to go faster unless the courage and skills increase. But can always turn up the power if speed uphill is an issue, managing battery of course. End of the day, the ride times were very close

Though each had a 500 watt/hr battery , the battery life was significantly better on the Rocky Mountain, no doubt due to the wider range in the settings on each power mode on the Levo with Mission Contol. So if I were looking to get a really long ride in with the Levo, would just dial down or eliminate the Peak Power. Because of the vertical nature of our riding I don't typically do 50-60 mile rides, but think that either bike with the 500 w/hr battery is totally capable of doing it, long as you manage properly.

Removeable vs nonremovable battery. I don't live in an area that gets very cold, so there really isn't a need to remove the battery for that for me though it would be nice if RM made it easier to remove. So for me, not a dealbreaker at all.

Alloy vs Carbon: meh...don't think it matters much on mtb. Sure the RM Carbon is a bit lighter than it's alloy brother (or sister) but I can go either way. On road, carbon all the way. They say the alloy transfers heat from motor better. Okay. Truth be told, I think the saying Steel is real still rings true. Old school livin in the past but steel was schweet.

Dealer network. There are many more Specialized dealers around here than Rocky Mountain. But many don't carry the ebikes (yet). The closest RM dealer to my home is just 10 minutes away. But the next closest one is about an hour up the road. Getting service at a LBS would be an issue if there wasn't one close by. But have always heard good things about the brand and their support.

Charging: Both have nice chargers. I really liked the locking mechanism on the Rocky Mountain. Only downer would be if the bike fell while charging and it happened to be in a position to pull the cord could do damage. But that's avoidable. On the Levo the magnetic connection was, to me, a tad wonky, and the cover just a little clumsy. Charge time from the 60-some percent to 100 took awhile. Was faster on Altitude. And the charger with the Altitude almost sounds like there's a fan in it. Is there a fan in it? Pretty cool if so.

Model years. There isn't a huge difference between the 2018 and 2019 RM. And the demo bike I could get was 2018. However, I see the 2020 uses a different 11 speed Shimano drivetrain and brakes, and is supposedly quieter and has a bit larger battery at 672 watt hour. Not that I see huge need for increase over 500 watt hour, but bigger is better. Everyone knows Specialized had their big change in 2019 Levos from what I heard at dealer, the new ones will have bigger battery and fork diameters. So a little change, but not major overhaul.

Upkeep. Replacing the SRAM cassette would be a lot more expensive than the Shimano on the Specialized or on the 2020 RM which is spec'd with Shimano. But, being a dry environment, and I'm the type of rider that abuses the drivechain and keeps it smiling and happy, would expect to get more time with the SRAM drivetrain. Theoretically anyway.

So, if the price of each bike were the same, what would I get?

The Levo is a great bike. But personally, I like the handling of the RM better. I am willing to give up the naturally faster uphill and plow through everything ride of the 29er Levo for the more fun, rowdy and lively Altitude. I prefer the challenge of tough terrain versus simply holding on and letting the bike do all the work. If I want to go faster on the Altitude, I can simply crank the power mode up a notch. I find the Altitude handles a lot like my former Ellsworth Moment on descents, but feels like my light Giant Trance on climbs. The Levo is somewhere in the middle...to me..after just the one ride. It would take ownership to know for certain but I know can't go wrong with either bike.

So, do I know what bike I'll be getting? Sort of. I have narrowed it down to the RM Altitude. Just not sure if it's the super discounted 2018 Carbon 50 (bro-deal) or wait for the 2020 Alloy 50 and pay, literally, thousands more. Common sense will probably win. Or will it?

P.S. Took the Levo out for another ride on Sunday. This is a very rocky area just outside LA with grinding technical climbs and equally demanding descents. And the Levo was awesome. As I'm sure the Altitude would (will) be too.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Nice write up. Save the thousands for the next higher tech model you'll be lusting after in a few years and take the bro deal.

If you are happier on the 27.5's why fight it? But you could try a 29" front wheel and see how that takes the stepups. It's a thing that works for some but not for all.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Nice write up. Save the thousands for the next higher tech model you'll be lusting after in a few years and take the bro deal.

If you are happier on the 27.5's why fight it? But you could try a 29" front wheel and see how that takes the stepups. It's a thing that works for some but not for all.
Good point. Thanks!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Wow, quite a detailed and thoughtful write up. ?
Both bikes sound like winners.

Too bad you can’t demo a Levo with 27.5 wheels to see if wheel size is the key. I like running 27.5x3 tires on my 2019 Levo for local SoCal rides and throw on a 29x3 for desert sand and places like Moab with lots of rock ledges.

WarrenB

May 24, 2019
Saint Paul, MN USA
Great write up and contribution! I would imagine the differences extend beyond wheel size. The RM has an inch shorter rear end which I would posit is the most significant factor for the difference in handling that you feel.

The only true complaint I have with my RM at this point is that I find the walk assist (a feature I think is quite useful) to be very finicky. I haven’t figured out the cause but it tends to kick on/off a lot for me which can be frustrating.

-Warren

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
Well done mtbross great review and exactly what I was hoping for out of your experience. I have just sold my Levo and bought the RM Carbon 70 2019. Like you the 2019 was more than $3000 AUD (1700 pound) cheaper than the 2020. I am awaiting freight so hopefully I can do a similar comparison against the Levo with the trails I have rode hundreds of times and logged with Strava on my Giant Trance (clockwork) and Levo.

They have also fitted the 2020 chain guide for me so hope to be able to report on sound comparison from the Dyname 3 and the Brose.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Well done mtbross great review and exactly what I was hoping for out of your experience. I have just sold my Levo and bought the RM Carbon 70 2019. Like you the 2019 was more than $3000 AUD (1700 pound) cheaper than the 2020. I am awaiting freight so hopefully I can do a similar comparison against the Levo with the trails I have rode hundreds of times and logged with Strava on my Giant Trance (clockwork) and Levo.

They have also fitted the 2020 chain guide for me so hope to be able to report on sound comparison from the Dyname 3 and the Brose.
Thanks Gigs and Congratulations! Would love to read your comparison and get your take. I'm going to go for the Altitude and get to keep the one i tried. Just have to go pay for it. Am tempted to go for the 2020, but at the price I'm getting, just have to do the 2018. Will talk with dealer today and be it 2018 or 2020, should be done today. He did order parts to quiet the chain but honestly, I'm fine with it as is so if the noise decreases, great. If not, all good.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Great write up and contribution! I would imagine the differences extend beyond wheel size. The RM has an inch shorter rear end which I would posit is the most significant factor for the difference in handling that you feel.

The only true complaint I have with my RM at this point is that I find the walk assist (a feature I think is quite useful) to be very finicky. I haven’t figured out the cause but it tends to kick on/off a lot for me which can be frustrating.

-Warren
Agree to both points. I was surprised how relatively similar the bikes felt in many situations. But in other areas, as noted, they are different. And regarding the walk assist mode...yep. On my second ride I went for a super steep pitch, but didn't really have a feel for bike yet and didn't shift weight forward enough so front wandered off narrow trail about 10' from top. Couldn't get the assist to work, but was hanging on for dear life so just muscled it up. The other two times it did work, but took cajoling to start it up. My remedy is make the climb! Haha..right. Hopefully I figure it out.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Wow, quite a detailed and thoughtful write up. ?
Both bikes sound like winners.

Too bad you can’t demo a Levo with 27.5 wheels to see if wheel size is the key. I like running 27.5x3 tires on my 2019 Levo for local SoCal rides and throw on a 29x3 for desert sand and places like Moab with lots of rock ledges.
Actually I did "sort of" demo the 2018 Levo with 27.5 wheels, but it wasn't a true test as I couldn't leave beyond a mile or so of the bike shop. I did like the bike, but there were other things I didn't so ruled it out, even with a killer price sort of close, but still higher than the Altitude. Those things were, as they say, dealbreakers, but they addressed in 2019.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I think you proved something.
We cannot believe what we hear. We cannot believe what we read.
It is realy personal. Our physionomy, our weight, our skills level, our personal preferences, where we ride. For my level 27+ is great, maybe in 2 years it will be different. I think the 8 speeds is excessive i would go for 9 or 10 with a bit less range. Also my priorities are reliability and range so maybe next year 1 Ebike will fit my profile. 2020 is not a real improvement at least what we know at the moment in my opinion.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I think you proved something.
We cannot believe what we hear. We cannot believe what we read.
It is realy personal. Our physionomy, our weight, our skills level, our personal preferences, where we ride. For my level 27+ is great, maybe in 2 years it will be different. I think the 8 speeds is excessive i would go for 9 or 10 with a bit less range. Also my priorities are reliability and range so maybe next year 1 Ebike will fit my profile. 2020 is not a real improvement at least what we know at the moment in my opinion.

Thanks!
I respect your opinion about the upcoming changes in 2020, assuming you are referring to the RMAPP. Looking at the specs on their website I think the most significant changes which are my main reason for pause on getting the 2018 are 1) the 672 Watt/hr battery vs 500 2) the Shimano MT520 brakes which I love vs the Sram Guide RE which are fine, but prefer the Shimano 3) the Shimano 11 speed drivetrain not for the quality since it's SLX, but the range over the Sram EX 1, and replacement cost 4) the Dyname 3.0 Drive motor (though I know that's on the 2019 as well and 5) the quieter cogs, which I think I can do to the 2018 for $20.

Add the newer iWok Trio, and it's enough upgrades, at least from 2018, to force serious consideration, even with $2,000 extra cost. Pretty sure I'll be making decision before week's end. Just did my 7th and last test ride on the 2018 and was a blast..again. Did have issue but think it was my fault. Was pressing the bottom iWok button while descending, I think too long, and it killed the motor. Think it was protection thing as I just did a reset/recalibration of the torque sensor and was all good again. Other than that lesson learned, was awesome ride to be honest. Decisions decisions....to be continued and resolved. Thanks again for your feedback.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Many like speed in mountain bike riding. Same for E options. I do not.
The reason i own an Ebike is i have no car, i pedal to the trails, play there and pedal back. The large gear ratio the 8 speeds offers i have more on my 20 S. Realy my 2017 is better in many ways than the 2018, 19 and 20. So maybe next year or an Efat will appeal to me. Over 500 Wh is just more $$ with more weight. Not realy my cup of soup. I demoed the Norco for 2 hours enjoyed the feel but cmom 8,000$ canadian that will soon be worth 2,000$ i pass on that. It seems they all have their flaws, many engine failures or replacements. I ride daily why pay that money if they do not work?

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Decision was made and I bought the Altitude. While at the shop they added the new guide for the chain. The chain noise is gone! It wasn't really bothering me, but I'll take it. Both the dealer and I were really surprised at the huge difference. Will find out on next ride if there's noise on trail, but on street nothing.

Last edited:

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Decision was made and I bought the Altitude. While at the shop they added the new guide for the chain. The chain noise is gone. I couldn't believe it made that much of a difference.
Congrats!

Cool to hear about the noise! Could you share a picture of the updated parts?
Sure. And I just double checked. Just the new guide was changed. I also got the skid plate which should protect the cover of the motor nicely. Thought I would post one of the bike while at it.

RMA 2.jpg

RMA 1.jpg

RMA 3.jpg

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thanks, will be interested to try that out myself.
Did first ride yesterday since changing to that updated chain guide. The tires made about the same level of noise as the drivetrain and motor. Awesome.
Update: Did a ride today with a few stream crossings. Once chain was wet, there was some noise, but nothing like before the new guide.

Last edited:

etvedt

Jul 20, 2019
Norway
Great post. Really appreciate it as I am in a similar situation. I paid deposit on a 2019 demo Levo comp carbon, but due to a crack in the frame, I probably won’t go for that (I say probably, because Spec is offering a letter with the purchase, where they will get me a new one if the crack ever gets bigger, so I can think about it for another day). But I honestly felt that a RM Instinct I tried to be a better bike for me, except for the battery not coming off.

Did you consider the RM Instinct instead of Altitude? The 2020 comes in a BC edition with increased travel, and that looks appealing to me. With 29” wheels perhaps more comparable to the Levo? My dealer can offer me either Altitude or Instinct, but will need to order the bike for me from overseas, so even though I can try it before buying, I can’t try both. Any advice would be great. Some background: new to both emtb and mtb, will ride trails, not parks.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Great post. Really appreciate it as I am in a similar situation. I paid deposit on a 2019 demo Levo comp carbon, but due to a crack in the frame, I probably won’t go for that (I say probably, because Spec is offering a letter with the purchase, where they will get me a new one if the crack ever gets bigger, so I can think about it for another day). But I honestly felt that a RM Instinct I tried to be a better bike for me, except for the battery not coming off.

Did you consider the RM Instinct instead of Altitude? The 2020 comes in a BC edition with increased travel, and that looks appealing to me. With 29” wheels perhaps more comparable to the Levo? My dealer can offer me either Altitude or Instinct, but will need to order the bike for me from overseas, so even though I can try it before buying, I can’t try both. Any advice would be great. Some background: new to both emtb and mtb, will ride trails, not parks.
Fisrt i have about 3.5 months experience on Ebike. If a fixed battery is something you can live with the RM is an easy winner. I like my 27.5+ Ebike but a 460 chainstay is a bit long. I played 2 hours on a Norco(lenght of CS like RM) it is just more playfull. RM has fixed their chain noise. For me 27.5 + grips and Ebikes need grip.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Fisrt i have about 3.5 months experience on Ebike. If a fixed battery is something you can live with the RM is an easy winner. I like my 27.5+ Ebike but a 460 chainstay is a bit long. I played 2 hours on a Norco(lenght of CS like RM) it is just more playfull. RM has fixed their chain noise. For me 27.5 + grips and Ebikes need grip.
I can definitely live with the fixed battery as I live in So CA and don't have harsh winters. At least not yet :)....And yeah, the $20 replacement of the chain guide fixed the noise issue. Read good review of the Norco, but dealer isn't close enough to me so passed.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I can definitely live with the fixed battery as I live in So CA and don't have harsh winters. At least not yet :)....And yeah, the $20 replacement of the chain guide fixed the noise issue. Read good review of the Norco, but dealer isn't close enough to me so passed.
Wich RM i have no clue, hopefully you select a good match for you. In the next week weather permitting i should try Marin and Giant with some luck they will bring Ebikes and i will be able to share my opinions.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Wich RM i have no clue, hopefully you select a good match for you. In the next week weather permitting i should try Marin and Giant with some luck they will bring Ebikes and i will be able to share my opinions.
Same bike I started the thread about, 2018 RM Altitude Powerplay Carbon 50. Love it. The only thing I would change would be chainstay..would like it just a tiny bit longer for the steepest pitches, but I adjust riding position so not a huge deal. Also haven't played with the Ride 9 set-ups, but can't see me changing to a more forward position..if that's even possible...for the few times I need that leverage.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Same bike I started the thread about, 2018 RM Altitude Powerplay Carbon 50. Love it. The only thing I would change would be chainstay..would like it just a tiny bit longer for the steepest pitches, but I adjust riding position so not a huge deal. Also haven't played with the Ride 9 set-ups, but can't see me changing to a more forward position..if that's even possible...for the few times I need that leverage.
Nice. I have the same bike, and currently set the Ride9 in pos 3. So far that's been good for me. My Iwoc has been replaced and now the speed sensor is being replaced too. I semi-regularly get a code 3 torque sensor error, but this clears with a calibration. The one time it didn't, the sensor magnet was covered in fine metal swarf and once cleaned came right again.
I love the bike, it's so much fun. The 500Wh battery has more capacity than me ?

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
This is a good thread for a RM Altitude PP owner. Like many others I sampled several EMTB’s and possibly would have sampled several others but had already spent hundred of dollars ‘renting’ test bikes and I was finding the same issues arose with them all. Specifically the motor characteristics dominated the ride experience.

Whether it was the way the motor delivered the assistance or the necessity for longer chain stays to accomodate the 3rd party motors I felt I had to ‘ride around’ the designs. The 2019 specialised Levo is a case in point. The motor whilst powerful lagged in initial power delivery especially if stalled on a steep uphill gradient. Many times I had to turn the bike around downhill and then recommence my assent. The overrun after you stop peddling is very non mountain bike like and really needs to be addressed. Finally with the 2019 only 29” specification I found the bike was so monster truck like, even compared to my Santa Cruz long travel tall boy, I couldn’t see myself parting with the considerable $$ for such a compromising experience.

I sampled Shimano, Yamaha, Bosch and Brose motors, in different brands bikes, and I found the Shimano steps 8000 to be the most natural feeling of the lot but at 500wh I was burning through battery too quickly.

I had decided upon the focus mullet carbon at approx $8000 or the Norco Sight VLT2 $7500 but the components were a little disappointing for the money so I bit the bullet on a large RM Altitude Power Play C70 $8,499 aud sight unseen and untested.

My experience so far after 700kms has been mostly positive. For the most part I rarely ‘feel’ like I did so often on the other machines. That is, I’m riding a compromising collaboration or parts and geometry instead of a properly ‘dialed in’ MTB

During my initial rides on familiar trails I was focused on discovering what the extra power in my legs was capable of and then taking in longer adventures further afield. The climbing capabilities of the RM despite its shorter chain stays remains for me the stand out characteristic of the bike. Trick is to get up on your pedals, bum off seat and keep the body english happening in the super steep tech stuff.

On a recent ride in horse country a fair drive from home I was exploring some barely visible downhill trails made after a recent endurance ride called ‘The Shazada’. The course was marked by ribbons tied to trees and was extremely difficult to decipher from the surrounding fallen leaf litter and debris. I was amazed by just how capable the bike was on the climb back out and how starting from nothing on super tough gradients with very little traction the motor responded with natural and intuitive and controlled power.

I rode approx 73kms over super steep trails and arrived back at the car with 11% battery reserve. I had the controller set to 35% eco, 65% trail and 85% ludicrous. I weighed in at 90kgs with gear, water ect.

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
I rode approx 73kms over super steep trails and arrived back at the car with 11% battery reserve. I had the controller set to 35% eco, 65% trail and 85% ludicrous. I weighed in at 90kgs with gear, water ect.

Nice work mate, I have almost identical experience to you. Did 45km and 600m climb last weekend and got home with 40% battery left (630wh battery). Lots of ludicrous mode and definitely not trying to save battery like I had to on the Levo. How many meters of climbing did you do on your 73km ride?

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
Nice work mate, I have almost identical experience to you. Did 45km and 600m climb last weekend and got home with 40% battery left (630wh battery). Lots of ludicrous mode and definitely not trying to save battery like I had to on the Levo. How many meters of climbing did you do on your 73km ride?

837m climb. On the way back out I knew I had a long home descent so I hit out the climbs in Ludicrous. Top speed of 49kph.

On another note I have been fussing with the Fox 36 and today discovered 4 tokens inside. I had been struggling with too much progression and not enough support. I’ve taken them all out and can hopefully expect a more linear fork.

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
837m climb. On the way back out I knew I had a long home descent so I hit out the climbs in Ludicrous. Top speed of 49kph.

On another note I have been fussing with the Fox 36 and today discovered 4 tokens inside. I had been struggling with too much progression and not enough support. I’ve taken them all out and can hopefully expect a more linear fork.

Oh wow, maybe thats my problem too. I weigh the same as you and dropped it down to 75psi, seems a little better but still way too harsh on small bump sensitivity. Please share your best setup, tokens and psi Jeddz.

Leobs81

Sep 10, 2019
Italy
Hi guys, really new here on the forum... I just tasted a 2019 altiture carbon 70...??? it feels soo good.... It would be my first e-bike but I have a doubt.
From geometry wise it does seems RM did not embrace the long top tube philosophy that all others are following. Picking up the example of Levo vs Altitude the same frame size has 2.5 cm difference in lenght. This might also be the lively feeling.
Saying that what to vhoose? I'm 165 cm and I could not decide whether to go for a 2019 Small discounted 20% or going for the 2020 Medium...

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
Hi guys, really new here on the forum... I just tasted a 2019 altiture carbon 70...??? it feels soo good.... It would be my first e-bike but I have a doubt.
From geometry wise it does seems RM did not embrace the long top tube philosophy that all others are following. Picking up the example of Levo vs Altitude the same frame size has 2.5 cm difference in lenght. This might also be the lively feeling.
Saying that what to vhoose? I'm 165 cm and I could not decide whether to go for a 2019 Small discounted 20% or going for the 2020 Medium...
Hi

Longer and slacker is definitely a trend but they can go too far with this unless you are bombing huge downs. In reality we spend more, much more, time going along or up. In my opinion you want to be centrally positioned so you can exercise your body English to dominate the machine.

Also remember that RM are developed in the steepest terrain on Canada’s North Shore a placemany people would consider the home of the free ride movement. Lots of big steeps, drops and jumps along with plenty of super steep ascending.

I’m 5’11” and ride a large and it spends plenty of time out in front of me at full extension and plenty of time with the bars tucked up in my armpits. It’s flickable and easy to manoeuvre and dominate for. 23kg bike

I hope this helps. I would not worry about the longer slacker thing as IMO it’s marketing as much as anything else.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles