Rocky mountain Instinct or altitude? (still a newb so go easy on me)

Jackson-Lewis

Aug 19, 2020
Alberta Canada
Hey all as I had a 2018 RM growler stolen from me about a month ago I am looking into a new and somewhat higher end bike.
I was happy with the growler so thinking of going with Rocky Mountain bike again.

I will be using the bike both for recreation in the river coulees and commuting in the city..... I will do more aggressive ridding when I can get to the mountains..... more so with a dual suspension.

but through the bikes life it will still get a ton of commuting time.

Major thing with commuting would be daily having about a 1km down and then .25 km flat (it has an up and down grade that is small both ways) where I lose the down momentum and then a 1km climb back up the other side, as I tend to ride when I can even in cold conditions for commuting.

I really do not fully understand how the frame sizing/shaping will effect the ride experience.
So Given my riding areas will have a lot of climbing, but still rough terrain (even on roads) I am not sure what bike might benefit me more between the Rocky mountain PP instinct (including the BC ED) or altitude? (probably alloy 50 for both Carbon is not enough weight savings for the cost)...... the major thing I understand between the two is the wheel size while both can change one comes at 27.5" and the others with 29"

So given the climbing and terrain and dual use situation can someone or all of you maybe help be to decide where I am better to put my money between these 2.5 models.

naharris212

Aug 1, 2020
San Diego
Yeah I agree, I think the Instinct would suit a bit better. I believe is slightly more of a trail oriented bike meaning well balanced on both up hills and down hills. Prob the biggest difference would be the 29's though so that might sway your decision a bit. I have the altitude C90 and it rips uphill and downhill. So honestly you could go either way. With that said, covid19 making such a demand on bikes, have you looked to see what is available? I would be surprised if you can get your hands on anything. I ended up getting my wife the Altitude a couple weeks ago bc the Instincts were sold out.

Jackson-Lewis

Aug 19, 2020
Alberta Canada
Yeah I agree, I think the Instinct would suit a bit better. I believe is slightly more of a trail oriented bike meaning well balanced on both up hills and down hills. Prob the biggest difference would be the 29's though so that might sway your decision a bit. I have the altitude C90 and it rips uphill and downhill. So honestly you could go either way. With that said, covid19 making such a demand on bikes, have you looked to see what is available? I would be surprised if you can get your hands on anything. I ended up getting my wife the Altitude a couple weeks ago bc the Instincts were sold out.
Yeah I gotta wait on the 2021 stuff to come out...... but I'm good to wait as I am recovering from a broken ankle so wont be ready to ride till winter anyway......

I'm still not really sure how I feel about wheel size..... we need a 28" size haha

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles