Water ingress and multiple other issues on 2020 trance E+3

Morpheous

Feb 12, 2021
Hereford
Got a downtube jacket and fitted some eyelets into it so I can pass it over the bottle cage mounting mushrooms. I have my lights (Hope R8+) battery fixed to the bottle cage. Just thought it might be of interest to anyone trying to keep the water and crap out and some heat in the battery in the cold weather to improve the range. View attachment 51176
Got a downtube jacket and fitted some eyelets into it so I can pass it over the bottle cage mounting mushrooms. I have my lights (Hope R8+) battery fixed to the bottle cage. Just thought it might be of interest to anyone trying to keep the water and crap out and some heat in the battery in the cold weather to improve the range. View attachment 51176
Please could you tell me where you got the downtube jacket from? Cheers

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Owned a Giant reign e + 1 pro for 8 months. He is now back to the LBS for the second time. Lots of moisture problems. new motor and new electric cables and new controller. Everything new and a new battery next week. I am not at all happy with Giant's service. Front fork has also been replaced.
Can't remember my Levo was that bad. Giant says it depends on the Dutch climate. I think it's special that Giant take his stand.

After reading the stuff about water ingress i've hammered my e+1 pro through winter to just see if it's going to fail, it's just kept on going, removed the covers the other week and although there's mud and water, a quick clean and it's pretty normal again, after having a Cube Stereo with the new Bosch motor failing i've been seriously wary, knowing my luck it'll break the week after warranty runs out!

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
After reading the stuff about water ingress i've hammered my e+1 pro through winter to just see if it's going to fail, it's just kept on going, removed the covers the other week and although there's mud and water, a quick clean and it's pretty normal again, after having a Cube Stereo with the new Bosch motor failing i've been seriously wary, knowing my luck it'll break the week after warranty runs out!
Unfortunately it where you can't see that the water ingress does most damage, inside the loom and connectors.
Fix the little problem before it becomes a bigger one is my opinion.

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
I didn't identify anything, no, I only got as far as verifying that that was what was on those terminals (and thus wouldn't likely be happy when wet) I did it because of the battery problems we were having with the wife's bike; it seemed to be getting stuck in 'charging mode', and thus wouldn't turn on. I thought that if I could identify the instruction from the charger to go into 'operating mode' I could maybe replicate it or something. In the end they gave us a replacement battery, so I didn't need to.
I've chopped the charging port off mine now so I'd have to use the wife's bike and run it on the dyno to identify the various channels properly if we wanted to see speed and cadence.
When taking charging port off can the wires simply be tucked up out the way behind battery in case I ever want to use it again or if there’s a warranty issue? How did you seal up the plugs on the loom that attach to charging port wires, or did you just cut them out of loom?

Got bike apart and thinking about decreasing wiring clutter before putting it back together.
Cheers

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
Might be of use , I used this Nyogel 760g , on the charger contacts and on , all connectors , just wrapping up doing all of them now , plus DR-25 heat shrink , per what Cappuchinno34 did also , but I kept the charge port, as bike is still in warranty , if i need to go back , I can remove the heat shrink (Carefully :) )

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
Well schoolboy error, adhesive heat shrank and sealed ends of charge port cables and corresponding ones on discharge cable. Fed charge cable up into frame where I thought it could sit but it stops battery from going in. All removed again and back to square 1.
I’ve got a question about removing crank arms, popped cover off, tried to undo Allen bolt but there seems to be another nut under the cover that stops Allen bolt coming out. Is there a specific tool for this?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Well schoolboy error, adhesive heat shrank and sealed ends of charge port cables and corresponding ones on discharge cable. Fed charge cable up into frame where I thought it could sit but it stops battery from going in. All removed again and back to square 1.
I’ve got a question about removing crank arms, popped cover off, tried to undo Allen bolt but there seems to be another nut under the cover that stops Allen bolt coming out. Is there a specific tool for this?

Pretty sure this will help.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Some cranks use the Allen bolt as the extractor, is butts up against the inside of the cap and pushes the arm off the shaft.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
When taking charging port off can the wires simply be tucked up out the way behind battery in case I ever want to use it again or if there’s a warranty issue? How did you seal up the plugs on the loom that attach to charging port wires, or did you just cut them out of loom?

Got bike apart and thinking about decreasing wiring clutter before putting it back together.
Cheers
Mine is under warranty too, but I have a good relationship with my LBS and the wiring that I have modified is available in separate pieces anyway. My take on it was also that I was removing the likelihood of having a warranty claim (for rotten wiring at least), not increasing it.

I removed the charge port as well as the wiring in the bike that goes to the charge port, reducing the possible points of entry for water. I also swapped the 4-pin connector for the, now redundant, 3-pin one. The fourth wire was no longer present on the bike.

Another reason for taking out all the non-essential wiring was to create some space around the motor; it's ridiculously cramped in there and Giant have increased the housing volume considerably on the new bikes.

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
Mine is under warranty too, but I have a good relationship with my LBS and the wiring that I have modified is available in separate pieces anyway. My take on it was also that I was removing the likelihood of having a warranty claim (for rotten wiring at least), not increasing it.

I removed the charge port as well as the wiring in the bike that goes to the charge port, reducing the possible points of entry for water. I also swapped the 4-pin connector for the, now redundant, 3-pin one. The fourth wire was no longer present on the bike.

Another reason for taking out all the non-essential wiring was to create some space around the motor; it's ridiculously cramped in there and Giant have increased the housing volume considerably on the new bikes.
It’s stupidly cramped and causing me a lot of problems getting it back together with added bulk of heatshrink, etc. I see you can buy a full loom easily online but not to ship to UK now ? If I could have sourced all the spare parts I’d have made a custom loom up had reduced a lot of bulk while keeping a factory loom just in case.

I guess one of problems buying online is I have no LBS with link to the bike and any warranty work etc they charge labour on.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
If you know the part number and price, call the lbs and have them order it for you, It doesn't have to come in the mail and it doesn't have to be warranty. Just tell them yoy always buy spare parts for your hobbies. It would be ridiculous for them not to order it I think.

I order spares and my local gaint dealer gets them for me.

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
If you know the part number and price, call the lbs and have them order it for you, It doesn't have to come in the mail and it doesn't have to be warranty. Just tell em always buy spare parts for your hobbies, its would be ridiculous for them not to order it.
Good shout and worth a go. Thinking I could extend some of the wiring so I can stuff it up into seat tube out the way and reduce bulk at motor side even further. The design from Giant really has been an afterthought

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It’s stupidly cramped and causing me a lot of problems getting it back together with added bulk of heatshrink, etc. I see you can buy a full loom easily online but not to ship to UK now ? If I could have sourced all the spare parts I’d have made a custom loom up had reduced a lot of bulk while keeping a factory loom just in case.

I guess one of problems buying online is I have no LBS with link to the bike and any warranty work etc they charge labour on.
The cramped space is why I swapped for the thinner and more flexible DR25 on the wife's bike rather than keep the loose vinyl sheath or regular heatshrink that's pretty stuff.

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
Finally got it all in last night with a little help from paint stripping gun to heat the plastic side cover and press it into position. From new there was a gap in casing where the wires sat so water could run right down onto them. Filled that with a foam strip and covered it with liquid tape so with Matt finish it’s virtually unnoticeable but extra water protection. Took it out for test today and it chucked it down with rain and ran it through plenty of standing water without issue, even hosed it down after for good measure.

So far so good ?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
So I began thinking about muck and a bit of water getting into the battery connection area on my 2021 Stance E.
Here is what I came up with...

Connection spot near the bottom...

Possible solution is a neoprene calf brace...

Installed very easily, and sits nice and tight...

Went for a ride at lunch through some puddles and muck, and the result...

Easy to clean...

No muck in the battery cavity, YAY!

I bought these the other day after thinking about it for too long. Comes in a pack of two so you can wash one and use the other.
They are Heekooi Calf Brace, Shin Splint Compression Sleeve (1 Pair)
What do you think? I've only tried them once, today.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Been running something similar for about 6 months. Certainly helps.

not the clearest pic but the only one I have it’s full length of the downtube

CDFC6C7E-F111-4AB1-B572-B14D0E19E336.jpeg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've been using a sock like the above post or skid plate (Rock-Gaurdz) now for over a year, and it really helps. I have had zero water ingress trouble, and the compartment for the battery motor interface is always spotless and dry.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Hi I bought a 2020 Trance E2 12 months ago and had similar issues at first after washing especially with hose. Love the bike so I didn’t want to throw it back at the shop so tried a few things. Basically I found if you remove the battery from the bike after washing it, it allows moisture to escape, I reattach the following day to charge or just charge the battery off the bike and have had no problem for the last 10 months. I ride in all conditions and it gets covered in crap and water and it’s always been fine while riding, it was always just after washing. Hope this helps.
I do have a question of my own though, after cleaning water always collects in the frame just under where the rear shock is, you can just turn the bike upside down but shouldn’t it drain through on its own? Any ideas?

Never put your bike fully upside down as it can easily damage your controller on the handlebars and possibly cause water to run down to the headset..

To get rid of that little puddle, simply swing the bike up vertically (front wheel up) and this will drain the water. Also, good practice to pick the bike a few inches off the ground and drop it onto the ground to shake off excess water after cleaning. If you're as pedantic as me, you can hand dry the bike with a towel.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Thanks pal, thought there must have been something blocked, strange they designed it that way.
It is a daft bit of design.
Ours hang in racks on the garage wall, so they naturally drain from the well at the bottom of the shocker after a wash.
The washing instructions from Giant shows that you should stand it up on the rear wheel and bounce off the water.

As for water ingress, you'll be lucky if no water has gone into the loom via the unsealed parts.
I have a good relationship with my LBC, and the number of times I've looked at green and furry wires and connector pins isn't funny, it's much more involved than just the battery connection.

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
For anyone interested , fitted an Amygos bash guard to my 2021 Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 2 , for protection and also water resistance , ok lots of holes in the guard for air flow , I have left a few but fitted one way grommets for the rest , Fits really well , good protection , already bust the original bash plate :) , Amygos bash guard is really well made and fits super well and Antoine good guy to deal with , 4 days delivery and no brexit tax !!!
IMG_20210315_174919.jpg

I also fitted a bikeyoke Willy :) , to keep all the crap out of the seat post and water going down the tube , so with my greasing the connectors , heat shrink , liquid tape , sock and all this , if shit still happens so be it :)

IMG_20210315_174932.jpg

IMG_20210315_174957[12032].jpg

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
For anyone interested , fitted an Amygos bash guard to my 2021 Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 2 , for protection and also water resistance , ok lots of holes in the guard for air flow , I have left a few but fitted one way grommets for the rest , Fits really well , good protection , already bust the original bash plate :) , Amygos bash guard is really well made and fits super well and Antoine good guy to deal with , 4 days delivery and no brexit tax !!! View attachment 55758

I also fitted a bikeyoke Willy :) , to keep all the crap out of the seat post and water going down the tube , so with my greasing the connectors , heat shrink , liquid tape , sock and all this , if shit still happens so be it :)

View attachment 55759

View attachment 55760
Where do you find them?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Never put your bike fully upside down as it can easily damage your controller on the handlebars and possibly cause water to run down to the headset..

To get rid of that little puddle, simply swing the bike up vertically (front wheel up) and this will drain the water. Also, good practice to pick the bike a few inches off the ground and drop it onto the ground to shake off excess water after cleaning. If you're as pedantic as me, you can hand dry the bike with a towel.

I haven’t had any water ingress issues on my 2020 bike.

I do exactly as above after a hose down to remove wet mud after a ride.

Stand vertically to remove pool from suspension puddle, described above Give it a few bounces and if I have time I run a microfibre to take additional moisture off the controller etc.

Lastly, for the winter I bought a £30 heater on a timer for a couple of hours of luxury for the bike in the shed, heater aimed at the motor a metre or so away.

This has been a regular picture for the winter....

IMG_1737.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I haven’t had any water ingress issues on my 2020 bike.

Or maybe none that you're yet aware of? And even if it hasn't, doesn't mean that it won't.

I hadn't had any problems myself either. But the LBS is literally around the corner from my workshop and just about every time I'm in the shop, which is very frequent since the whole family are cyclists, they have Giants in bits to fix or replace corroded connectors and wiring.

That's why I made such a comprehensive job of waterproofing our Trance bikes. It's all well and good thinking that "it's under warranty" but warranty doesn't last forever.

Giant have done a pretty thorough redesign for 2021 because of the problem, so it must be enough of a problem for them to have bothered.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles