Water ingress issues anyone?

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
I have a 2023 reign e+ 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to keep water from ingressing into the battery compartment area. I've only taken my bike on three rides (I've only had the bike for about a week), and when I was cleaning the mud off with a very low pressure drizzle of water and a rag, I removed the battery just to see if any water got in there sure enough there was ample moisture throughout the compartment.
Is there some type of tape or something people are using to seal that compartment?
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I would say it's pretty much impossible and the quantity getting in is minimal.

Just remove battery cover after washing the bike so moisture can easily escape.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Thank you for the reply.
There was also small puddles of water being held in the recess areas around the electrical connection between the bike and the battery as well as traces of mud under the battery cover. I'll likely see if I can impove the seal between the interface of the battery cover and the down tube.
I also noted a small amount of play between the battery and the interior of the down tube after tightening the t25 lock screw.
I'll try to remedy that with a small amount of self adhesive foam weather strip.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Thank you for the reply.
There was also small puddles of water being held in the recess areas around the electrical connection between the bike and the battery as well as traces of mud under the battery cover. I'll likely see if I can impove the seal between the interface of the battery cover and the down tube.
I also noted a small amount of play between the battery and the interior of the down tube after tightening the t25 lock screw.
I'll try to remedy that with a small amount of self adhesive foam weather strip.

I also have traces of mud or sand under the battery cover after a ride and water every time I wash the bike, but I don't think it's going to do anything significant.

My battery also had some play and had to tighten the two security T25 bolts holding the mechanism, however careful with that lock as it's really hard to perfectly position. If you don't have it perfectly positioned your battery could be hard to remove or get stuck.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
When I got my 2021 Stance I immediately noticed a gap between the bottom of the battery cover and the frame in front of the battery connectors.
Not sure what yours looks like, but I bought a pair of stretchy velcro calf braces and wrapped it around the opening.
Problem solved.
Is there a similar gap on yours?

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Thanks for the replies.
No, the cover seems to fit correctly as designed, it's just that they did not seemed to be concerned about attaining any type of 'seal' at the interface. I may order a roll of this MAGZO Door Weather Stripping 1/2" W X 1/16" T, Foam Tape for Doors and Windows Shock Absorbing, Total Length 33 Feet (1 Roll) https://a.co/d/hJuebhu
and see if I can use it to create a somewhat better seal as well as take up the play I noticed in the battery.
Bike is currently back at the lbs to get some warranty on the dropper.
And while I'm on the topic of the dropper, I noticed when I pulled the battery out that there is some definite abrasion that has occurred on the housing for the dropper cable. In fact it seems that has a abraided through the black outer jacket into the white inner lining of the cable housing.

Last edited:

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
I've tried most things on my 2022 Reign E+1. The best fix I found was to carefully warm the battery cover with a heat gun and bend the edges slightly so they were a tighter fit. After 10mins of fiddling with it, it's now nice and snug. It still lets some water in after a wash, but I've been assured by Giant that the battery and connections are waterproof anyway and designed to get a bit wet! Not the best design though as the battery compartment can get quite dirty over time.

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
Yes. It didn't really help. You have to position it perfectly or it pushes the battery cover out, or still lets water in. You can't really seal the top of the cover by the screw either.

Formulasuper

Mar 9, 2022
Atlanta
I have a 2023 reign e+ 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to keep water from egressing into the battery compartment area. I've only taken my bike on three rides (I've only had the bike for about a week), and when I was cleaning the mud off with a very low pressure drizzle of water and a rag, I removed the battery just to see if any water got in there sure enough there was ample moisture throughout the compartment.
Is there some type of tape or something people are using to seal that compartment?
Thanks for any info.
Buy a Scott emtb. They have the battery cover designed perfectly to keep out water. I wash my Ransom with a water spray hose every day and not a drop ever gets into the battery compartment.

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
Buy a Scott emtb. They have the battery cover designed perfectly to keep out water. I wash my Ransom with a water spray hose every day and not a drop ever gets into the battery compartment.
Good for you! But that's not anwering the question though, is it? 🤔 Plus the Ransom is a completely different bike to the Reign. I'm sure if he wanted a Scott he would have bought one! 😏

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Don't sweat it. No eebs are designed fully waterproof. Wash your bike, take the battery out, leave the charge port cover open & let it air dry. If necessary, lift the bike on its back and front wheels to encourage any standing water to drain & enjoy life. Water round the battery isn't going to kill your bike provided you let the thing dry properly.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Just put some wide black (or other color) electricians tape on the gaps. Waterproof and inexpensive. There, is that better?
By ending your recent comment with "There, is that better?", combined with your previous comment I'm not sure if your sincere or if your just trying to be a smart Alec.
I started this thread with "I have a 2023 reign e+ 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to keep water from egressing into the battery compartment area.".
That means I'm inquiring if anyone has actually had this issue, remedied it and is willing to share their experience with me and the community.
It is not a solicitation for random musings from someone that has zero experience with the issue. So unless you have actually solved this particular problem with your recommendation, what was the point of you chiming in? Bored? Maybe show off your stunning intelligence?

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Water ingress is what you’re dealing with. Egress would refer to water coming out of the battery compartment. (Sorry, I was bored and wanted to show off my stunning intelligence)

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
By ending your recent comment with "There, is that better?", combined with your previous comment I'm not sure if your sincere or if your just trying to be a smart Alec.
I started this thread with "I have a 2023 reign e+ 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to keep water from egressing into the battery compartment area.".
That means I'm inquiring if anyone has actually had this issue, remedied it and is willing to share their experience with me and the community.
It is not a solicitation for random musings from someone that has zero experience with the issue. So unless you have actually solved this particular problem with your recommendation, what was the point of you chiming in? Bored? Maybe show off your stunning intelligence?
I don’t have this bike or issue
(I have SC Bullit), however, it does appear to be a design issue and most reputable manufacturers would want to fix such an issue. Because it’s a new bike generation I would assume Giant would look into a fix once they’re made aware of problem.
As well as contacting your retailer and Giant and until there’s a resolution some of the folks sealing ideas may be helpful. I’d also suggest you remove battery and apply dielectric grease to both the battery contact points and the bike interface as well as the charge port contact points… this will ensure a waterproof, conductive connection should water work it’s way in.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
Thanks.
I have been considering that the grease the auto parts stores sell in the little packet for installing automotive light bulbs might be suitable for this application.
Although admittedly it has not caused any actual problem as of yet, I will definitely tell the bike shop to communicate with Giant regarding this. The guys in the bike shop were so enthusiastic after my bike arrived at the shop, they ordered two more of them for the shop to have for ebike demo bikes. And the shop personnel have been vying for who's turn it is next to ride them on the after work shop rides.
If it does present actual problems they are definitely going to want to be on top of a solution to address it.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks.
I have been considering that the grease the auto parts stores sell in the little packet for installing automotive light bulbs might be suitable for this application.
Although admittedly it has not caused any actual problem as of yet, I will definitely tell the bike shop to communicate with Giant regarding this. The guys in the bike shop were so enthusiastic after my bike arrived at the shop, they ordered two more of them for the shop to have for ebike demo bikes. And the shop personnel have been vying for who's turn it is next to ride them on the after work shop rides.
If it does present actual problems they are definitely going to want to be on top of a solution to address it.
Sounds like you’re on it. Bike’s no different than flashlight, sports camera or any other electronic device for outdoor/sports activity… battery compartments should not be letting water in.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
On the other hand you want water to be able get out should it get in. Also airflow is important as well. It could certain stand be a little tighter to keep small debris out. Maybe some screening or foam done right. For anybody reading this its not a huge issue it just could stand a little improvement. Keep in mind cars are not watertight either and they work(ok most of the time):rolleyes:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
On the other hand you want water to be able get out should it get in. Also airflow is important as well. It could certain stand be a little tighter to keep small debris out. Maybe some screening or foam done right. For anybody reading this its not a huge issue it just could stand a little improvement. Keep in mind cars are not watertight either and they work(ok most of the time):rolleyes:
Automotive electrical connections are typically sealed where they are likely to be in water.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles