"Waterproofing" a Giant TRANCE E+2 PRO (2020) ?

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
good work guys. As a bove such a shame the manufacturers do not take note and make some far overdue changes to make these bikes more waterproof...............and it is by no means just Giant.
I have 2 Whyte EMTBS one of which is 3.5 years old, the other 1.5 years old. Both have been used in UKs wet winters..........and I have done no additional waterproofing on them other than making a neoprene cover over the top of the charging port. that port has a rubber cap and is on the flat section above the motor. The cap does a good job but could potentially be snagged by trail rubbish so the neoprene cover protects a gainst that. I previously had a Levo and did lots of mods on that to make it waterproof.

Got a pic of that?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I've wondered about doing a full replacement loom for these you know Stu? I've bought the proper crimp tool for the contacts inside the motor to allow me to make the wires long enough (without joints) to have the connectors in the top of the downtube, completely out of the way.

Might be of value to some folk pal. I don't have wiring dramas anymore, although i do still hate trying to fit the motor back in if i have to drop if for any reason.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Got a pic of that?

20240212_181255 1.jpg 20240212_181402 1.jpg 20240212_181422 1.jpg 20240212_181444 1.jpg

Lui_DK

Apr 23, 2021
Denmark
The thick black wire going to the charge port can be cut. Instead of making a new crimp joint, it's easier for you to unclip the contact from the white power connector going to the motor and put some sealing heat shrink over the existing crimp.

Same for the yellow and the skinny purple.

The grey and the white ones are just for the lights. Personally I'd prefer to remove the contacts for them from the 8-way and put plastic grommet pins into the boot to keep it watertight. It may be tricky getting the contacts out though so be careful. If you're not confident, the just cut the wires and seal the ends properly.
Thanks

I’ll draw a wire diagram. Think that will clarify it a lot and may be helpful for other owners.
I’ll have to wait a week anyway for a new battery connector after chopping the wrong wires.
Don’t mix IPA and DIY electronics 🤓

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles