Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hi all - I've been following this thread as a public lurker/guest, but I now registered just to add this bit of information.

Yesterday I picked up my MY2021 Turbo Levo Comp, and I checked the motors serial number last night. It's made in Feb 2020. So for everyone who has a Levo on order, but is worried about getting an older motor - you *may* not get the older motor and will get a 2020 one.

I was talking to a guy the other day when out for a ride. He ordered a 2021 Levo, when it came it had a motor from August 2019 in it so he told the bike shop he wouldn’t accept it. The bike shop replaced the motor with a June 2020 build while he waited. So worth checking build dates when you collect, you may be able to avoid the grief quite a few people on here are getting ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
They possibly made the mistake of using bike year rather than date of manufacture of the motor.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
What is bothering me is that I am driving a 470 mile round trip to get our two Levo's the software upgrade tomorrow, we got them from Berkshire Cycles who we all know are simply spot on and I trust them totally and would rather Chris did this for us, I just hope that we don't get this blue/red bar light problem when we are out on them but I assume Chris will already be aware of this possible glitch!

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Why go to all that trouble to get a firmware upgrade? Its not a requirement to get the extended warranty and you avoid the power spikes it is mostly designed to remove if you use the proper cadence. It would appear the firmware has a bug that affects some bikes. Chris can do nothing to fix that. I would wait until Spesh have identified the cause.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Why go to all that trouble to get a firmware upgrade?
I feel this had been answered X times here already: Because our engines broke before, some multiple times and we see a chance they will not break during summer with this update, when we wanna be out riding. And where no shop has time for nothing. And when in addition due to corona all supply chains are buzz anyways.
For a weekend rider maybe hard to get, but some of us are out on the rig every day and maybe pay a bunch of money to be at great places doing that.
No number of years of guarantee can compensate what a unfixable bike could cost you depending on the situation.
I would eg. not have a big issue paying a new engine a year myself. Everything around biking is eating money anyways and it's my only hobby. Just what I can't have is a broken bike at home. And yes, 95% of all other parts I stock myself.

Last edited:

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Maybe short update on my post FW update issues for all.
@Specialized Rider Care checked any error reports I sent in via MC. What he could see pointed to a misbehaving speed sensor and he gave me some detailed info on what to check.
Mechanically it looked all good for me, cable, magnet and sensor all where it should be, at least for what I can see.
But there was indeed a bunch of dirt on the magnet, obviously partly metallic as it sticked pretty well. I gave it a proper cleaning.
But even on the day before I could not reproduce the blue+red error any more. Since then I was two more full days out riding and there I could not reproduce it there as well.
So my only current issue it's the erratic walk mode like it seems to be for every one here who is on the new version.

So where does that leave us? Hard to say. Could be for some reason the error is only prone to occur during the first bit of riding after applying the update. Or it was just pure "luck" and it will take a while until I see it again.
What I didn't do is so somehow try to change riding style.

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Maybe short update on my post FW update issues for all.
@Specialized Rider Care checked any error reports I sent in via MC. What he could see pointed to a misbehaving speed sensor and he gave me some detailed info on what to check.
Mechanically it looked all good for me, cable, magnet and sensor all where it should be, at least for what I can see.
But there was indeed a bunch of dirt on the magnet, obviously partly metallic as it sticked pretty well. I gave it a proper cleaning.
But even on the day before I could not reproduce the blue+red error any more. Since then I was two more full days out riding and there I could not reproduce it there as well.
So my only current issue it's the erratic walk mode like it seems to be for every one here who is on the new version.

So where does that leave us? Hard to say. Could be for some reason the error is only prone to occur during the first bit of riding after applying the update. Or it was just pure "luck" and it will take a while until I see it again.
What I didn't do is so somehow try to change riding style.
This is a good outcome to hear, thanks for sharing. Naturally the first thing to come to mind after updating and something going wrong is the update. Glad to hear this one is most likely normal wear/tear coinciding with the update. Maybe the update is more picky and wants a cleaner cadence signal (aka cleaner magnet sensor). Which would be a good thing in my opinion.

ScratG

May 16, 2020
Rothrist
Is there now a feedback from [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] from which motor build date on we can expect reinforced motors (stronger belt, ...)?

Just asking because there are customers with build date Dec. 2019 on a 2021 Levo.

Vittorio

Aug 11, 2020
Milan, Italy
Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply. If I may clarify something on my case: I have no speed alteration. The problem happens also with the bike on the stand, therefore with no resistance at all. What I have noticed is that after switching the power on and pressing the walk, I have to wait some time with very slow rotational speed until the walk engages. After that, at every press of the walk button the system is more ready to respond. Sometimes, the walk does not engage at all, I wait and wait until the error happens (error motor, from the Specialized manual). P.S. it happens also in the middle gears.
Understood and thanks for the feedback. Would be interested whether this is the experience for others also and will track this with our quality engineers who partner with Brose.
I have exactly the same behaviour, on 3 different Turbo Levo.
Sometime does not engage at all, sometime after few seconds at very low speed disengages and, in all cases, after about 5 secons I get the error (red line and blue line just below).
Never got this error if the rear wheel is free in air or if I push the bike in the meanwhile.
After the walk mode has been fully activated, subsequent presses of walk button have no latency and the bike sudden goes at 6 km/h (I don't know how much time this behaviour lasts)

Suggestion for a future release.
I guess the first 10 seconds at very low speed, before reaching 6 km/h, are for safety reasons, in order to avoid accidents due to unwanted press of walk button. But about 10" is too much ! I think 3-4 seconds will be enough to avoid unwanted walk mode activation.
If I use the walk mode is because I need the bike is running by itself, not on a flat and confortable terrain but in bad situations, and push 23 kg of bike on flimsy and steep terrain for 10 seconds to "help" the speed sensor to "understand" the bike is moving is a good way to make the walk button useless.

Last edited:

Jsmithjr732

Aug 3, 2020
San Diego
Is there now a feedback from [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] from which motor build date on we can expect reinforced motors (stronger belt, ...)?

Just asking because there are customers with build date Dec. 2019 on a 2021 Levo.
Nope, still waiting on a response.

@Specialized Rider Care It’s been over a week since this has been asked. Other questions have been answered already, but this one doesn’t have a definitive answer yet. When can we expect to have an update?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I think I'll hold off on getting my bike firmware updated just yet as I use walk mode every day to get my bike up some steep stairs.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I decided not to make the 470 mile round trip to Berkshire Cycles to get this update on our two Levo's as I need to know the update works perfectly as there is no way I will be driving 8 hours twice for something that isn't quite right yet!

I will wait and get it done when all the problems have been sorted out, our bikes are running perfectly well at the moment.

StarAZ

Aug 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
1. When can we update firmware OTA?
2. Why isn't the update covered by warranty? I bought my Levo in a neighboring city because of stock level. My local dealer asked me to pay them for the update. I can either drive 1 hour one-way to get a free update or pay my LBS.

VOOBOY

Nov 19, 2019
South Yorkshire
Had mine updated the weekend be Berkshire Cycles all was fine until today, just had the blue/red bar light problem any ideas

Cheers
1. When can we update firmware OTA?
2. Why isn't the update covered by warranty? I bought my Levo in a neighboring city because of stock level. My local dealer asked me to pay them for the update. I can either drive 1 hour one-way to get a free update or pay my LBS.
Yep, the issue of dealers and charges has been raised with @Specialized Rider Care who assure us they are working on it. I'm not convinced we should be paying but saying that it's pretty obvious a few issues are occurring with the update for certain users so, at the moment, I'm happy with the previous issue.

Canakris

Jul 30, 2019
belgium
Oh, this really makes my day:). My motor has been echanged already 2 times
1st time: YT link
2nd time: YT link

After my 2nd motor, as soon as my bike got wet after washing (and I did wash is exactly the same previous times), the bike wouldn't power up again. When the bike dried sufficiently 1 or 2 days i nthe garage, it worked again (TCU gave only 1 beep, no lights). My bike has been in the shop 4 times already for this water issue, and now back for 2 weeks already...they will replace some cables...hopefully it works again.

Really...it's a lease bike from the company. If I would've paid the bike full price myself I would feel very bad right now, as I constantly bike (well not constantnly given the time it was in the shop) think it will brake down while riding.

Also I did pay for extended warranty at the purchase, I wonder how this overlap will be...

Canakris

Jul 30, 2019
belgium
Maybe change the way you wash it??

Then it has to be without water, I spray/sprinkle the bike with a hose so that the bike is WET and then use a cloth to clean. Im sure in the UK the bike has to endure more water from rain and from mudpits.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Depends how much protrction you have given it and the direction of your spray. The TCU has no seal between itself and the frame. Any spray sideways on will wet the TCU. The TCU has a seam around its waist and a usb port covered in a rubber bung which may or may not have bern fully secured by the last mechanic to mess with it. Where the TCU cables pasx behind the shock water sprayed direct in that area can be carried by the cables down through the frame to where they connect to the motor pcb.
There are simple solutions.
1.Tape up the TCU with insulating tape...covering the seam , the usb port and connections.
2. Before screwing the TCU back onto the frame smear some grease onto the frame...better still make a gasket.
3. Push some grease into the areas behind the shock where the cables come out and back into the frame.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I have exactly the same behaviour, on 3 different Turbo Levo.
Sometime does not engage at all, sometime after few seconds at very low speed disengages and, in all cases, after about 5 secons I get the error (red line and blue line just below).
Never got this error if the rear wheel is free in air or if I push the bike in the meanwhile.
After the walk mode has been fully activated, subsequent presses of walk button have no latency and the bike sudden goes at 6 km/h (I don't know how much time this behaviour lasts)

Suggestion for a future release.
I guess the first 10 seconds at very low speed, before reaching 6 km/h, are for safety reasons, in order to avoid accidents due to unwanted press of walk button. But about 10" is too much ! I think 3-4 seconds will be enough to avoid unwanted walk mode activation.
If I use the walk mode is because I need the bike is running by itself, not on a flat and confortable terrain but in bad situations, and push 23 kg of bike on flimsy and steep terrain for 10 seconds to "help" the speed sensor to "understand" the bike is moving is a good way to make the walk button useless.
Thanks for your feedback hope that our experiences help @Specialized Rider Care to find a solution. In the meantime, I do exactly what you say, the first time I lift up the back wheel until the walk engages, no errors on display show...at least this is the workaround I found, I would prefer to push and get the bike move immediately, I really don't get this intentional delay introduced in the last firmware...but have to live with it.

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
I'm in Scotland and I have just driven down 3h to Staveley to get the motor replaced and now there is a firmware update which I'm not going to drive down again. Today I went to Tiso Perth, if I'm correct are dealers for Specialized and asked if they could do the firmware upgrade and they said yes for £40. I find the cost of the update a bit excessive even more if the firmware is not working properly.
Any more Specialized dealers in Scotland ?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I'm in Scotland and I have just driven down 3h to Staveley to get the motor replaced and now there is a firmware update which I'm not going to drive down again. Today I went to Tiso Perth, if I'm correct are dealers for Specialized and asked if they could do the firmware upgrade and they said yes for £40. I find the cost of the update a bit excessive even more if the firmware is not working properly.
Any more Specialized dealers in Scotland ?
It seems unbelievable that bike shops are so short sighted that they even think quoting sums like this are remotely acceptable for what is probably a 10 minute job. Why can't they see that doing it for free might be replaced in spades if word gets round that they are thinking a bit outside the box and looking after local bike riders. Why does Chris at Berkshire get so many positive mentions and has customers travelling hundreds of miles - because he provides superb customer service. Some shops just don't deserve to survive.

It's a bit like the LBS who can see that servicing mail order brands like Canyon and YT will in due course bring those customers back in the future. We would all like to support our LBS - word of mouth and especially media like Facebook etc brings huge benefits to business if they have some vision.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Thanks for your support @MrSimmo. In reply to your questions: -

1. All motors in our global service inventory carry the latest revisions. Additionally, all retailers will update bike firmware to the latest versions if they change a motor (standard practice).

2. The 4 year warranty is from date of original purchase for bikes specifically mentioned.
And if I hadn’t read this forum how would I have known?

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
I decided not to make the 470 mile round trip to Berkshire Cycles to get this update on our two Levo's as I need to know the update works perfectly as there is no way I will be driving 8 hours twice for something that isn't quite right yet!

I will wait and get it done when all the problems have been sorted out, our bikes are running perfectly well at the moment.
Best not to be first, I dived in on Sept 2018 for one of the first 2019 bikes and had all the issues, motor, cables etc.
Let the early users find the bugs.
My local shop Edinburgh Cycles were great and resolved all issues by the way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles