Warm toes???

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Done a fantastic early morning ride today, -3c, very heavy frost but dry and all was well except my bloody toes, they were frozen ?
Has anyone any suggestions to help keep em warm?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I use these, as well as good socks and thermal GoreTex boots! They cost about £15 for 20 if I remember correctly, and they last about 8 hours once taken out of their packet.
Peel off the backing, and stick in place.

I’m a Raynauds sufferer, so always have cold fingers and toes! I also ride with heated gloves at this time of year - in anything under about 7deg C.

7483C2D6-D300-43E0-8783-C844B07EFD09.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
De-feet Woolie Boolies..they are toasties warm but not water-proof ..
One of my Christmas presents were a pair of these Dexshell waterproof socks ..havent been able to test them yet due to illness but they seem very well constructed
Screenshot_20210102-121637_Photos.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never suffered from cold feet, but then I don't do long rides when it is below zero. I wear a thin pair of ordinary ankle length mtb socks with a mid weight mid length Sealskinz sock on top of that. I use Shimano AM42 boots, the funny looking ones with the flap over the laces. The combination of socks and waterproofness, so far, has meant that my feet have never been cold.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use these, as well as good socks and thermal GoreTex boots! They cost about £15 for 20 if I remember correctly, and they last about 8 hours once taken out of their packet.
Peel off the backing, and stick in place.

I’m a Raynauds sufferer, so always have cold fingers and toes! I also ride with heated gloves at this time of year - in anything under about 7deg C.

View attachment 48884
yep...I use these but you have to get off the bike occasionally and walk about because the stuff needs to be agitated to keep giving out heat. Best bet is to put them on and boot up before you start getting the bike and kit ready to go. That way you are walking a bout and the pads will get your feet nice and warm before you start riding. Then take a break after 30 mins or so and walk a bout to re-energise the pads.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Same for me today, freezing toes and freezing cold fingers, what are the warmest gloves?

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Same for me today, freezing toes and freezing cold fingers, what are the warmest gloves?

I use a pair of Kies heated lining gloves, with a pair of regular Fox Defend gloves on top.
My normal Fox gloves are a Medium, but I have a pair of XL’s specifically for this task!

They keep my hands toasty, and if I put them at the medium setting, I can get about 3 hours of heat out of them.
On the negative side - wearing 2 pairs of gloves is a bit of a pain in the ass to put on... and having wires up your sleeves is awkward too.

Needs must though, and for me this is the best way of stopping my fingers going blue!

Shane’o’Mac

Nov 27, 2020
Leicester
sounds really stupid but one tip a roadie friend gave me a couple or weeks ago is to wrap your toes in tin foil (on top of socks) I was skeptical and felt an idiot but tried it for a snowy ride round Cannock chase and was surprised how much warmer my toes were?!

warpdwhim

Sep 14, 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
Here in Canada - try pogies for your hands. They look a bit goofy but WOW do they work. I can cycle at -10C and cooler with thin gloves on. Warmer temps than that and I can use my summer cycling gloves w/o fingers. They'll even keep your hands dry. Like these.

The hot hands that @p3eps suggested is money. They do need oxygen to react and heat up so an insulated shoe/boot may not always work great.
I recommend to stay away from neoprene anything. You NEED your feet to breathe! Sweaty feet will always be worse off
Dry feet is 1st priority (learned that from my military service), but wool warms even when its wet (or sweaty) as many already know of course.

Last edited:

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
I couldn't feel my toes after a ride out just after Christmas. My shoes were soaked and caked in mud and even though I had waterproof socks on, by the time I got home it got pretty painful. My brother recommended some overshoes and I ended up buying a pair of DHB extreme weather overshoes. Tried them last week and what a difference they made. My shoes were bone dry underneath and even though the wind chill was - 3 my feet were nice and warm. They are not the easiest thing to put on but worth it IMO.

IMG_20201230_121352.jpg

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
De-feet Woolie Boolies..they are toasties warm but not water-proof ..
One of my Christmas presents were a pair of these Dexshell waterproof socks ..havent been able to test them yet due to illness but they seem very well constructed View attachment 48886
I have these and even though they kept the water out, my feet were frozen due to my shoes being soaked. I think they'll be fine once the temperature picks up a bit ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles