• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Thanks to those who have given feedback. I'm going to jump in and buy one.

This site has 11 good reviews also and if you use the code SALE you will get 5 Euro off making it £135 delivered to the UK.

VOLspeeds own website defaults to shipping to Germany only so can't see how to buy direct from them.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Hi all. i have had the VOLspeed chip on my Orbea wild, Bosch Gen 4 (Kiox) for the last 5 months and done over 1800 miles. NO errors , Been faultless .
Would recommend to anyone . Transforms the bike.
Great to know your feedback, I couldnt agreee more, thats completely different bike... what type of riding uve done most? Pushing hard at 40kmh+ or more conservative? Long stints on increased speed?
Regarding battery life on 625 powerpack, if I run it at 35-40kmh it goes for me about 2% on 1km (emtb mode). Not bad at all. Any feedback on this?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
These are good news.

By the way: Is there any difference if I have Purion or Kiox? No?

solum

May 10, 2020
Switzerland
This week i will finally receive the Volspeed, DHL seems to have some problems in delivering at the moment. It was sent off over two weeks ago. I almost only found positive posts in different forums about this chip. Also does Volspeed respond to questions and problems and the kilometers are still real.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
This week i will finally receive the Volspeed, DHL seems to have some problems in delivering at the moment. It was sent off over two weeks ago. I almost only found positive posts in different forums about this chip. Also does Volspeed respond to questions and problems and the kilometers are still real.
Yes they respond really well to any questions with detailed explanation. Yes kms are real, checked with other apps with gps :)

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
I've read many posts that say that when using speedbox there's a long delay when you start pedaling until assistance kicks in.
Is there a similar delay when using volspeed v3 on CX gen4?

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I've read many posts that say that when using speedbox there's a long delay when you start pedaling until assistance kicks in.
Is there a similar delay when using volspeed v3 on CX gen4?
I've had a Speedbox 3.0 fitted for nearly 600 miles, I've not noticed any delay from the motor when starting.

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
Put my volspeed in today, flying! Although i am only having to hold the minus button for <3 secs to activate, if i press plus after then it doesnt activate??? Took me a few goes to work out how to change the speed limit but set now

solum

May 10, 2020
Switzerland
First Ride with the Volspeed and everything is fine. Set it to 32 km/h max, thats perfect for me, feels very natural. It fades out nicely when going over 32 km/h without setting the dynamic mode.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
First Ride with the Volspeed and everything is fine. Set it to 32 km/h max, thats perfect for me, feels very natural. It fades out nicely when going over 32 km/h without setting the dynamic mode.
32kmh would be more than fine. I quite rarely hit more than 25kmh deep in the forest trails but on gravel it would make sense.

Could it be so, that possibility for errorcode with Volspeed V3 is lower if you don't ride too fast like 32kmh vs 45kmh?

andrewc

May 31, 2020
UK
32kmh would be more than fine. I quite rarely hit more than 25kmh deep in the forest trails but on gravel it would make sense.

Could it be so, that possibility for errorcode with Volspeed V3 is lower if you don't ride too fast like 32kmh vs 45kmh?

I was wondering exactly the same thing! As 32KPH is the legal limit in some markets, maybe the Bosch firmware doesn't register that speed as an infringement in UK / EU??

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
OK fitted!

Took literally 5 mins to fit as I didn't have to remove the crank arm. Cable tied it all in place.

Pwered up and accessed set up and selected the 28km/h option for a Pedelec.

Then activated the dongle and set it to 20.5mph (though I see there is a 19.9 that I'll use in future).

Took a quick ride and LOVED the motor not dropping away at 15.5!

Attached some pics and video.

First video is me selecting the bike type 15.5mph.

Second video me activating dongle and scrolling up and down through some speed limits. Sorry second one went out of focus as wasn't watching the phone display.

Edit: Forum won't accept video files so I'll need to get back to you when loaded to my Onedrive.

I'll post an update after more use.

IMG_20200602_124152.jpg

IMG_20200602_124252.jpg

IMG_20200602_132506.jpg

Bruno

May 23, 2020
France
Je roule comme un assassin, j'ai fait 1480 km, erreur 504... après passage au magasin,250 km plus tard encore erreur 504

Bruno

May 23, 2020
France
Que ce passe t'il après 3 erreur 504 ?(j'écris sur téléphone mais mes messages se supprime tout seul a chaque fois...)

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Just watched that, I could be doing with that activation code process. +3 -3, just want to press power and ride ??‍♂️

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
OK fitted!

Took literally 5 mins to fit as I didn't have to remove the crank arm. Cable tied it all in place.

Pwered up and accessed set up and selected the 28km/h option for a Pedelec.

Then activated the dongle and set it to 20.5mph (though I see there is a 19.9 that I'll use in future).

Took a quick ride and LOVED the motor not dropping away at 15.5!

Attached some pics and video.

First video is me selecting the bike type 15.5mph.

Second video me activating dongle and scrolling up and down through some speed limits. Sorry second one went out of focus as wasn't watching the phone display.

Edit: Forum won't accept video files so I'll need to get back to you when loaded to my Onedrive.

I'll post an update after more use.

View attachment 32608

View attachment 32609

View attachment 32611
Hi Aerotec, wondering how you've gotten on? Has it glitched out, or running with no errors? cheers

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Hi Aerotec, wondering how you've gotten on? Has it glitched out, or running with no errors? cheers
Hey sorry not updated. Only had a couple rides.

Dongle has been superb. I've just had it set at 19.9mph and so nice having that bit of extra boost. With the standard ramp down of power quite natural so I've not activated the dynamic mode.

Only think I noticed on my last ride was range. On Turbo with a 500wh battery at the end of the ride it was alternating between 33 and 54 miles range which isn't correct. Not sure if that's due to the way the dongle fools the system but I'll monitor that again when I'm out on it and report back.

No errors but I've only done maybe 15 miles with the dongle on as during lockdown my rides have all been with my Father who cycles his ebike at like 13mph! I'm heading to London today for the week so will get the chance for more faster runs.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Would you agree with these possible assumptions:

It is quite rare to get error 504 with Volspeed V3 in cases where:
  1. the bike has Bosch 1.0.3.0 firmware
  2. you keep the max speed around 30 kmh
  3. you don't drive very long very fast (over 30km@45kmh)
  4. you wait the countdown after your ride
I don't own the Volspeed box, but I'm trying to find the most likely facts.

Last edited:

bemic

Jun 12, 2020
Belgium
I've had it for 70km so far and love it.
CX - 19 gen3
Firmware 1.8.4.0
Hello,
At what maximum speed have you tested the Volspeed 3 without error problem 504: does this urban legend of 32km / h really exist or is it only the consequence of faulty firmware 1.0.2.0?
Who have a 504 error above + 32km / h with firmware 1.8.4.0 or 1.0.3.0?
Thank you for your answers

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Hello,
At what maximum speed have you tested the Volspeed 3 without error problem 504: does this urban legend of 32km / h really exist or is it only the consequence of faulty firmware 1.0.2.0?

I just did about 15 miles with the limiter set to 28mph/Turbo and damn it was fun with no error. Though need longer to fully test it out. Burnt through more than half a 500wh battery in that time!

Did 25 miles earlier today with a 19.9mph limit on Eco and was great for cruising along at 18mph or so.

IId think if it had to be under 32kmh more would have mentioned it but tbh for most of the time I'll be happy on a 19.9mph limit.

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
I just did about 15 miles with the limiter set to 28mph/Turbo and damn it was fun with no error. Though need longer to fully test it out. Burnt through more than half a 500wh battery in that time!

Did 25 miles earlier today with a 19.9mph limit on Eco and was great for cruising along at 18mph or so.

IId think if it had to be under 32kmh more would have mentioned it but tbh for most of the time I'll be happy on a 19.9mph limit.
oooooh, that sounds like a heap of fun... this is getting very tempting, keep us all posted Aerotec, cheers

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
Hello,

I installed VOLSpeed V3 a couple of days ago and have been increasing the speed limit in small increments.
CX (2020) FW 1.0.3.0 + (intuvia)
Started with 32 km/h and it worked perfectly.
A couple of days ago I biked 15km with the limit set at 39km/h in tour-mode. It worked really well and consumed ~1,5% per km (625 Wh battery)

bemic

Jun 12, 2020
Belgium
Que ce passe t'il après 3 erreur 504 ?(j'écris sur téléphone mais mes messages se supprime tout seul a chaque fois...)
Bonjour Bruno,
Quelques questions:
Avec quelle puce avez vous eu cette erreur 504?
Quel est votre fw moteur?
Quelle vitesse avez vous réglé lors de cette erreur?
A quel moment avez vous eu cette erreur? en roulant? en forte solicitation?durant une longue distance?
Avez vous laissé allumé votre vélo a la fin de chaque parcours (compensation Km)?
Merci.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles