• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

badkarma

Apr 16, 2020
Manchester, UK
That was me asking that. Got my v3 sitting here now, really want to put it in, really DONT want to have to pedal the tank for 90 mins unassisted! Will ask them again in a few weeks how theyre getting on with their test bike and wether any customers reported an error on latest fw. Cant believe I was the first to ask! Good of them to write an essay on it though!
Which means they are serious about their product, which also costs a pretty penny. Where did you buy it from?

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
I emailed ebiketuning to see if they would do a discount on a few units if anyone wanted to be involved in a bulk buy but no discount.

I see the Peartune for Bosch 2020 is only about £100 but again can't see much about it.

I think ebiketuning was offering 5 euro discount with code Follow5 which made it about £133 shipped.

badkarma

Apr 16, 2020
Manchester, UK
Yeah, Im feeling the same, Im used to my old carbon frame bike and getting about a bit quicker, If the motor topped out at 18mph even then I would be happy with that. Its taking me longer to get to work now! Albeit a lot easier.
Enough people have fitted these chips and not been detected way over 1000km, even on the old firmware. Volspeed also said that nobody with older gen motors with tuning detection fw had contacted them about errors. They must work. May put it in this weekend, if it does error out, I will stick the bike on my repair stand and turn the pedals 15 mins each day and use my old Scott for work ?
Yeah I do not have that luxury of two bikes, nor time to pedal it :)

Do let us know how it turns out.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Interested in buying one, but seems like there's a bit uncertainty in the air. I think I'll just observe the situation 2 months more to see where it goes.

Currently with my rides and skills I don't really need more than 25 km but on gravel roads it would make sense.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Discussions are lively about this V3, which makes it even more frustrating for me that I dont owe one yet :D My hands are itching to add that BEAST to basket and prepare for some whole new experience...

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
That was me asking that. Got my v3 sitting here now, really want to put it in, really DONT want to have to pedal the tank for 90 mins unassisted! Will ask them again in a few weeks how theyre getting on with their test bike and wether any customers reported an error on latest fw. Cant believe I was the first to ask! Good of them to write an essay on it though!
150km, then after one ride pops up 503 errors. Had about 4 or 5 times and motor was shutting down on ride, then error disappeared. Now chip does not work, csnt activate it. Tried removing and placing back, still nothing... Faulty chip? Idk, 0 information. I sent ebiketuning emails, lets see what they say... atm feels like 150 eur down the toilet. But yeah when u can drive 35-37 kmh its totally different bike

badkarma

Apr 16, 2020
Manchester, UK
Thank you jobridder.. I was planning to buy it.. please keep us informed on their replies. The Volspeed3 guys respond on the YouTube channel immediately, have you tried that?

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Yeah thanks for the feedback! We'll it's not an error 504. I'd have suggested fully remove and refit in case of loose contacts but you've tried that. Hopefully a one off faulty dongle.

Keep us updated! Thanks!

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
150km, then after one ride pops up 503 errors. Had about 4 or 5 times and motor was shutting down on ride, then error disappeared. Now chip does not work, csnt activate it. Tried removing and placing back, still nothing... Faulty chip? Idk, 0 information. I sent ebiketuning emails, lets see what they say... atm feels like 150 eur down the toilet. But yeah when u can drive 35-37 kmh its totally different bike
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Havent fitted mine yet, my back went last weekend and Im flat out dosed up on codeine, no chance of me fitting it for another week I reckon. 503 is the speed sensor error isnt it, Have you emailed Volspeed? If you want them to respond on youtube you need to tag them in your post, out of interest, what fw is your motor?

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Havent fitted mine yet, my back went last weekend and Im flat out dosed up on codeine, no chance of me fitting it for another week I reckon. 503 is the speed sensor error isnt it, Have you emailed Volspeed? If you want them to respond on youtube you need to tag them in your post, out of interest, what fw is your motor?
503 yeah, they mentioned they havent had it, i followed instruction removing the chip, error didnt pop up, neither it did after few simple kiox restarts. I have emailed them again, lets see
fw. 1.0.3.0

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
503 yeah, they mentioned they havent had it, i followed instruction removing the chip, error didnt pop up, neither it did after few simple kiox restarts. I have emailed them again, lets see
fw. 1.0.3.0
Strange that it wont work by removing and re adding it. Sounds like it just died or got fried or something. Let me get this clear, you managed to clear the error with the chip installed still, but it wouldnt activate after that, back to regular speed limit?

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Strange that it wont work by removing and re adding it. Sounds like it just died or got fried or something. Let me get this clear, you managed to clear the error with the chip installed still, but it wouldnt activate after that, back to regular speed limit?
Correct. I thought if error keeps popping up ill remove it but it disappeared even before i got email from ebiketuning what i should do...

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Are we sure that this has anything to do with volspeed?
What else can it be? Chip worked perfectly for that time until this. Maybe bosch invented smth that kills the chip? Or simply faulty one? Problem is no one is sharing and there is 0 info about any issues whatsoever. Frustrating part in this is that money will be lost on this volspeed v3 and i have 0 trust the next chip wont die too.
I surely will try removing it once more and refitting, now im just waiting for response from ebiketuning...

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
What else can it be? Chip worked perfectly for that time until this. Maybe bosch invented smth that kills the chip? Or simply faulty one? Problem is no one is sharing and there is 0 info about any issues whatsoever. Frustrating part in this is that money will be lost on this volspeed v3 and i have 0 trust the next chip wont die too.
I surely will try removing it once more and refitting, now im just waiting for response from ebiketuning...
Do you have the proper Volspeed manual with it? I see you bought from 3rd party. Did you set a secret code for activation or just leave it standard? Personally I would contact Volspeed direct on their website about it rather than the reseller. The chip must have been screwing with the reported rpm of the wheel magnet, although if you still have it installed still and are able to ride it normally then it must be passing the signal through ok. Could be a case of poorly manufactured connector

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Do you have the proper Volspeed manual with it? I see you bought from 3rd party. Did you set a secret code for activation or just leave it standard? Personally I would contact Volspeed direct on their website about it rather than the reseller. The chip must have been screwing with the reported rpm of the wheel magnet, although if you still have it installed still and are able to ride it normally then it must be passing the signal through ok. Could be a case of poorly manufactured connector
Yeah 3rd party. Yes had a manual. Also used manual on website of volspeed in english.
No, didnt set any code
Yes even with chip everything works, just cant activate tuning.
Please note volspeed does not send chip ouside Germany...

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
Yeah 3rd party. Yes had a manual. Also used manual on website of volspeed in english.
No, didnt set any code
Yes even with chip everything works, just cant activate tuning.
Please note volspeed does not send chip ouside Germany...
I bought from them direct, email stated shipped by hermes.de, think they have a uk supplier though.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Great news all! I got reply from Volspeed, solution was simple, connect chip in code set/deletion mode, ( wires must be connected according to manual, page 11) and I deleted the code and voila, works again ! Thus fot info for future if i get 503, gotta run it in power cycle few meters and it will clear the error.
Awesome support from them!
Just in time for weekend ?

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Thanks for the update and great to hear you are back up and running. But what was it that caused the Error 503 though? Dodgy connection?

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Thanks for the update and great to hear you are back up and running. But what was it that caused the Error 503 though? Dodgy connection?
hard to tell, I did adjust a bit the sensor, maybe it was not in the right place. The wires are fine, connectors as well so maybe just some unlucky coincidence that later bugged the chip as well somehow..

Bruno

May 23, 2020
France
Bonjour je suis français,je suis livreur depuis presque 2ans, j'ai débridé tout mes vélos, j'ai acheté un cc génération 4 en février, j'ai roulé 2400 kilomètres avec speedbox 3.0 et j'ai eu erreur 510 il a fallut changer le moteur (Bosch a immédiatement envoyé un nouveau moteur), avant ce code erreur j'ai eu des ralentissements a 4 reprise il me semble,cela durait 5 minutes, après le moteur repart normalement, avec le speedbox 3.0 j'avais le problème ou celui-ci ne voulais pas partir instantanément au feu rouge,il fallait deux mètres pour que le moteur ce mette en marche ;plus Tard avec le nouveau moteur j'ai installé un nouveau kit speed...,60 kilomètres plus tard code erreur 504.. j'ai donc rendu le kit,et maintenant après plusieurs lectures ici j'ai décidé d'acheter le volspeed V3, j'ai fait 300 kilomètres avec a 38 kilomètres heures max et j'ai eu un nouveau code erreur 510, j'ai éteint et rallumé la console kioks et le code a disparue, j'ai décidé de débrider le moteur a 70kmh et de voir ou celà me mènera (je roulais avec lespeedbox 3.0 au maximum 50 et 64 kmh ); pour le moment j'ai pas eu d'erreur 504 avec le volspeed seulement 1 erreur 510 qui a disparue je vais rouler a fond et ont verra,mon vélo : superdilight mountain rolhof E14 riese Muller

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Translated...

Hello I am French, I have been a delivery man for almost 2 years, I unleashed all my bikes, I bought a cc generation 4 in February, I drove 2,400 kilometers with speedbox 3.0 and I got error 510 it was had to change the engine (Bosch immediately sent a new engine), before this error code I had slowdowns at 4 times it seems to me, it lasted 5 minutes, after the engine started normally, with the speedbox 3.0 I had the problem or this one did not want to leave instantly at the red light, it took two meters for the engine to start; later with the new engine I installed a new speed kit ..., 60 kilometers later code error 504 .. so I returned the kit, and now after several readings here I decided to buy the volspeed V3, I made 300 kilometers with a 38 kilometers hours max and I got a new error code 510, I turned the kioks console on and off and the code disappeared, I decided to unleash the engine at 70kmh and see where it will take me (I drove with lespeedbox 3.0 at maximum 50 and 64 kmh); for the moment I have not had an error 504 with the volspeed only 1 error 510 which has disappeared I will ride hard and will see, my bike: superdilight mountain rolhof E14 riese Muller

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
This was an interesting read about the Error 510!

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Bonjour je suis français,je suis livreur depuis presque 2ans...

Bruno,

Thanks for the information. I will be interested to hear how your bike is woth the VOLspeed as I have a Supercharger 2 with E14 hub.

Did the dealer detect tuning with the speedbox 3? Good to hear you had no problem getting the motor replaced.

Great to hear the E14 performed well at 70km/h. You must have been pedalling fast!

Merci pour l'information. Je serai intéressé d'entendre comment votre vélo est avec le VOLspeed car j'ai un Supercharger 2 avec moyeu E14.

Le revendeur a-t-il détecté le réglage avec le speedbox 3? Heureux d'entendre que vous n'avez eu aucun problème à remplacer le moteur.

Super d'entendre que l'E14 a bien performé à 70 km / h. Vous devez avoir pédalé vite!

Bruno

May 23, 2020
France
Le speedbox ne laisse aucune trace de manipulation mais il a le problème de couper le moteur a l'arrêt assez souvent ou il faut 2 mètre pour qu'il se remette en marche et surtout après 2400 km il ma laissé un message d'erreur 510 qui a nécessité un autre moteur, celui-ci plus robuste,un peu différent d'après le mécano qui a changé et essayé les deux moteur, pour le volspeed V3 que j'ai installé il y a quelques jours ils fonctionne bien pendant 400 kilomètres environ avant de me mettre un code erreur 510 ,le même code erreur qui a nécessité un changement de moteur,mis a part que là le code erreur a disparue en redémarrant le kioks ,je suis passé au magasin ce matin pour la mise a jour j'étais déjà sur la mise a jour 2.0.3.0(il me semble) la dernière quoi il a effacé le code erreur, mais comme j'ai lu sur le Facebook de ibiketuning il est préférable de rouler a 32 kmh pour évité toute détection, pour ma part cela me dérange et j'ose espérer que le nouveau moteur que Bosch ma envoyé supporte mieu l'erreur 510 qui est un problème interne du capteur ,bref ,je compte roulais a fonds et je verrais bien , pour le moment a part une erreur 510 j'ai pas eu d'erreur 504 mais comme je compte roulais comme un fou ils est possible que cela me fasse des problèmes ?

Bruno

May 23, 2020
France
Il est important de savoir que même si le logiciel détecte les manipulation (kit) celà ne pose aucun problème pour la garantie , le moteur reste garanti dans la mesure ou Bosch ne peu pas prouver que la panne Vien de celui-ci (du kit), je suis livreur et cela me frustre de ne pas pouvoir rouler a fond donc je teste mais je pense tomber sur un os (un code erreur bientôt), mais je vous tiens au courant,je sort pas le vélo se soir car il pleut et je suis pas équipée sur ce vélo électrique

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles