Vitus E-Mythique Error code 11

FranceAdam

Sep 17, 2023
French Alps
Hello,
I received my new Vitus E-Mythique LT (Bafang M510 Motor) from CRC this week.
Took a couple of easy rides along the river path with my wife, which went good and the bike felt great.
Yesterday, I went on a steeper route. Gravel road with a reasonable gradient.
After 20 minutes of riding when the gradient increased and I bumped up to Trail power, within a couple of minutes the power suddenly cut off and the display showed a big red error code 11. Which stayed about 10 seconds before returning to normal. Tried continuing but this repeated every minute or so, after 3 times I turned around and came home.
Tried the same route again this morning, around the same area got the same problem again.

From the manual - Error 11 - The temperature sensor inside the motor has an error. Please change the motor.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
I'll contact CRC tomorrow and see what they say!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There is a theory that Error 11 is actually a speed sensor error and Error 10 is the temperature error.

Check your magnet alignment, the magnet could have slid or twisted on a spoke. This is where mine is, which seems to work :

1694953514809.png

FranceAdam

Sep 17, 2023
French Alps
There is a theory that Error 11 is actually a speed sensor error and Error 10 is the temperature error.

Check your magnet alignment, the magnet could have slid or twisted on a spoke. This is where mine is, which seems to work :

View attachment 124987
Thanks. Mine was a little further out towards the rim. I've adjusted it and will give it a try.
Does seem unlikely as the error only occurred pushing hard and steady (~10 kms/hr) up a slope, with no problems going fast downhill

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks. Mine was a little further out towards the rim. I've adjusted it and will give it a try.
Does seem unlikely as the error only occurred pushing hard and steady (~10 kms/hr) up a slope, with no problems going fast downhill
Difficult to say.

I've used it in 32c at peak power Boost and Race (19 amps) over a period of time and had no heat issues, so it's unlikely a performance issue. Could be a faulty temperature sensor though. They can also set the limits, though it would be unusual for yours to have different limits to others from the factory.

You can access the battery temperature on the display (hold down up and down for a few seconds then info, battery.)

Descending, you're not pedalling as much and will be above the assist, so it may not pickup speed sensor errors when it's not trying to balance cadence/power/speed.

Fingers crossed it's just the speed sensor position otherwise I'd guess they'd have to swap the motor.

If you install Bafang Go (not go+ that work work unless you have a v3.0 display and you probably have a v2.0) on Android. Bike on. Click on the bluetooth symbol in the app (top left). Click on the bike.

Click the three lines (top right). Select Drive data. Click the three lines. Click on Temperature and drag it up so an eye appears next to it.

Then click back. This then shows the temperature on the drive data screen. Though I don't know if it derives that from the motor or the battery !!

1694961033750.png

FranceAdam

Sep 17, 2023
French Alps
Difficult to say.

I've used it in 32c at peak power Boost and Race (19 amps) over a period of time and had no heat issues, so it's unlikely a performance issue. Could be a faulty temperature sensor though. They can also set the limits, though it would be unusual for yours to have different limits to others from the factory.

You can access the battery temperature on the display (hold down up and down for a few seconds then info, battery.)

Descending, you're not pedalling as much and will be above the assist, so it may not pickup speed sensor errors when it's not trying to balance cadence/power/speed.

Fingers crossed it's just the speed sensor position otherwise I'd guess they'd have to swap the motor.

If you install Bafang Go (not go+ that work work unless you have a v3.0 display and you probably have a v2.0) on Android. Bike on. Click on the bluetooth symbol in the app (top left). Click on the bike.

Click the three lines (top right). Select Drive data. Click the three lines. Click on Temperature and drag it up so an eye appears next to it.

Then click back. This then shows the temperature on the drive data screen. Though I don't know if it derives that from the motor or the battery !!

View attachment 124988
I just took it for another ride with the adjusted magnet but got the same problem again.

The temperature on the app stayed at 24, so I guess this is the battery temp.
The motor casing was hot, I could keep my fingers on it but it was pretty hot to touch.

Is it normal for the motor casing to be hot after 20 minutes uphill?

Screenshot_20230918-183520.png Screenshot_20230918-183516.png IMG_20230918_183405.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The motor casing was hot, I could keep my fingers on it but it was pretty hot to touch.

Is it normal for the motor casing to be hot after 20 minutes uphill?

You're in boost, it could be pulling max amps for those 20 minutes. So, it could get hot, but you'd expect the battery temperature to also increase if it was pulling max Amps for 20 minutes.

So no, it does not sound normal.

You could try in T, but that will pull almost 18 amp peaks. Or E+ that still pulls over 400w when you pedal hard.

Doesn't really explain the high temperature though. Sadly, that would suggest an abnormality with the motor :-(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A quick comparison test for you.

Riding mainly in Boost (B) and generally hard with fairly constant peak power.

Battery not fully charged, but charged before ride to increase temperature slightly so it's already warm for the test.

20% battery used in the first 7km's to try and show battery temperature increase with high current draw.

Motor was warm to touch - warmer than the rest of the bike/the air, but not Hot (forgot to take thermal camera).

1695123593554.png
1695123604046.png
1695123614517.png
1695123626477.png
1695123637131.png

Came back steady so motor had already cooled down.

1695124251231.png

FranceAdam

Sep 17, 2023
French Alps
A quick comparison test for you.

Riding mainly in Boost (B) and generally hard with fairly constant peak power.

Battery not fully charged, but charged before ride to increase temperature slightly so it's already warm for the test.

20% battery used in the first 7km's to try and show battery temperature increase with high current draw.

Motor was warm to touch - warmer than the rest of the bike/the air, but not Hot (forgot to take thermal camera).

Came back steady so motor had already cooled down.

View attachment 125119
CRC warranty team are taking the bike back to fix it. Fingers crossed!
I'll update in a few weeks with an update
Thanks for your advise & info

FranceAdam

Sep 17, 2023
French Alps
Update: Here is the response from CRC warranty team
"Good news, we have now completed assessment of your bike and are pleased to confirm that the motor is functioning as intended and that the Error code 11 is infact a safety feature to allow the motor to cool down when it senses it's getting hot, therefore if you can confirm your address, we can get that returned to you without delay. Alternativtly if the product is not fit for your pur[pose then I'd be happy to issue you a refund."

Obviously I asked for a refund, which was sent the next day.

Top marks for the CRC warranty dept.

Pretty disappointed with the bike :-(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Update: Here is the response from CRC warranty team
"Good news, we have now completed assessment of your bike and are pleased to confirm that the motor is functioning as intended and that the Error code 11 is infact a safety feature to allow the motor to cool down when it senses it's getting hot, therefore if you can confirm your address, we can get that returned to you without delay. Alternativtly if the product is not fit for your pur[pose then I'd be happy to issue you a refund."

Obviously I asked for a refund, which was sent the next day.

Top marks for the CRC warranty dept.

Pretty disappointed with the bike :-(
Thanks for the update.

Still seems pretty strange. Yes, it has a cut off, but from how you were riding and the battery temperature readings, there's no way the motor should have been getting warm enough to cut out.

I wonder if it's just inexperience at this point for the warranty team as it's a motor they're not used to dealing with. They look at the error logs. It says the code. They ride the bike round the car park and it seems fine, so they then just assume it's got too hot.

Where as in reality, its most likely a faulty sensor giving an incorrect reading.

If it was a mechanical issue making the motor warm, you'd assume the bike would feel sluggish and the battery temperature would be increasing more as it would be drawing more current to compensate and create the heat.

Unfortunate. Shame you can't borrow another one and try that. If you'd had the bike returned with the same motor, you'd have run into the same issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles