Upgrade Guide RE leverls ... options?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Many of us ride this brakes wich calipers are good but levers are crap.

First option is get some RSC of course, but i wonder if there’s some other brands compatibles.

Discuss!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it wasn't a question bruv

many folk talk a lot of shit. in general.

They're just brakes. Decent ones at that. learn how to use them efficiently instead of getting into a wank off over which brand folk wet dream about most often.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
it wasn't a question bruv

many folk talk a lot of shit. in general.

They're just brakes. Decent ones at that. learn how to use them efficiently instead of getting into a wank off over which brand you wet dream about most often.

I know dear bitter Scottish. Brakes are delicated, some people don’t heat em enough=crap. Polluted/dirty pads= crap. Bad bleeding= crap. That’s what happen and people don’t know.

On the other side, can you fit other levers than SRAM? Shigura stuff and all that

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Any dot 5.1 fluid lever you wish..
It won't necessarily improve them though oh fussy Spanish one.

Well i heard hope got the best modulation, but they are mineral. I’m ok with stopping power with 220 rotors Galfer pads and Code Calipers ... whats the best you think for that? Save me a google search every band every fluid please ... i owe you one cerveza

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Only in so much as they don't expand in heat. So don't stick causing the lever to return slowly or stick.
Bore size dictates how much fluid the lever pushes. You can't change the bore diameter on any levee. But fitting a different lever with a different bore diameter will affect feel quite considerably.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with REs. An RS lever does feel slightly nicer though.
I have Codes, REs and Guide RSS (and Shimano and Hope FWIW) ALL "feel" different. All work just fine.
We're spoilt these days with brakes TBH and EMTB riders generally ride equipment waaaay above their actual needs.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Only in so much as they don't expand in heat. So don't stick causing the lever to return slowly or stick.
Bore size dictates how much fluid the lever pushes. You can't change the bore diameter on any levee. But fitting a different lever with a different bore diameter will affect feel quite considerably.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with REs. An RS lever does feel slightly nicer though.
I have Codes, REs and Guide RSS (and Shimano and Hope FWIW) ALL "feel" different. All work just fine.
We're spoilt these days with brakes TBH and EMTB riders generally ride equipment waaaay above their actual needs.

When I said they are crap is because mine are broken. I need to replace more than upgrade. But I know they are broke, brand new from today i ride it with no issues. Like I said most of people blame brakes that are actually improperly setting. They have the sticky lever problem, there’s a warranty but wait two weeks or god knows how much ... no thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sticky lever issue is easily solved by disassembly, and either sanding down the edges of the plastic piston or fitting a replacement aluminium piston.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Sticky lever issue is easily solved by disassembly, and either sanding down the edges of the plastic piston or fitting a replacement aluminium piston.

I know, that’s why I ask you about the alloy piston, but you know what i can find lots of levers on the second hand market not far expensive than the replacements, so I’m gonna try something new and a bit better

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Finally I get a set of RSC ... should I put the new Codes calipers or keep the old R/Guide RE? The old looks more “industrial“ and robust to me, they work fine and got tons of power.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I support your brake fitting decision wholeheartedly

I know I appreciate it, now the question is if the new codes calipers are any good over the old because Im going to keep ones and sell the others. Many many times, the new stuff is not only better is worst. Read somewhere the pistons are plastic? Well, if you got some advice just tell me.

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
New codes are noticably more powerful than REs (I gots both)
Depends which pistons are you referring to?
AFAIK all sram lever pistons are plastic, some SRAM caliper pistons are plastic some are Alu
goggle your particular model rather than ask this massively hungover forum user.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
New codes are noticably more powerful than REs (I gots both)
Depends which pistons are you referring to?
AFAIK all sram lever pistons are plastic, some SRAM caliper pistons are plastic some are Alu
goggle your particular model rather than ask this massively hungover forum user.

Gary I googled this before but nothing I found. Hope you can help me.

I got new code hose that’s gets short and the old guide RE hose that fits. The caliper end (is the rear) are different ... can I swap the connectors or I need to buy a new cable? Thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
no. SRAM caliper end connectors are generally not swappable so you should always attach/reattach at the lever. not the caliper when fitting/removing
you'll most likely need a new hose but do check whether the hose you're trying to attach to the caliper will actually attach by swapping the bolt. it's occasionally that simple.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Well calipers and leverls installed. As you should expect the difference is noticeabl, for good. But I think Hayes or Hope are even better? my ”science“ point is that SRAM and Shimano even on this high end brakes are under some conditions such easy bleed, massive production etc than somehow narrow the perfomance. Don’t get wrong these are powerfull and very well modulating brakes, men they are really good nice stuff! but like i said i suspect the others take the truly edge. But is a opinion not a stament, surely Gary is taking the hammer to hit me in the head. Haven’t try them on a long descend just play with them few times. Whatever worth the upgrade. Absolutely, but for trail riding I don’t recommend, you need to “heat” them to work properly and then they will be overkill. Go for the Guides RSC for that.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles