SRAM guide re sticky piston

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Anyone had experience with these brakes, I assume they're as easy as moto bike brakes to service.
Piston has been sticky from new so might aswell sort it,
Also, do I need special tools to bleed them?

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
In terms of bleeding and then set up, they are virtually the same as any hydraulic disk setup.
You will need a different bleed kit (or atleast a new part) because the Guide brakes have SRAM's bleeding edge technology and means the old, pretty much universal, bleed adaptor can't be used...bloody SRAM!

This kit will sort you out: SRAM Bleed kit
Video tutorial for SRAM: GMBN bleeding edge tutorial

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a sticky piston = patience and perceverance

A lot of folk lose the plot with the issue and start slagging off the manufacturer when in actual fact all bike brake manufacturers pistons can become sticky. Try not to become one of those guys ;)

they'll be fairly similar to moto brakes to work on. just fiddlier and less robust so take your time.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Do y rekon a strip down or just clean and work the piston then?
You could try working the piston carefully but to be honest if it is sticking might be best to take it apart and check what's causing it. That's what I would do in your shoes if I'm honest - bit long to do but will be the only way to fix the problem long term.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Good and cheep
:LOL: a man of few words, eh?

I ask as I usually just buy Uberbike Sintered pads in bulk when they're offering 20-30% off so they work out at about £18 for 4 sets. Have also used their race matrix which are also good but pricier, and their semi metalic which were awful.

Was after a little more detail really. ie. Which compounds have you been using? how powerful are they? How are they in the wet? noise? do they glaze/overheat ever? And what sort of mileage are you getting out of them? in what conditions?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Bought last ones in August so lasted well, cant tell miles as had peartune chip in.
sintered and bite great.
A bit o squeal when wet but that sharp goes.
For about £6:50 pair we'll worth a shout.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles