Levo Gen 2 Unused rear light port Brose 2.1 for charging iPhone

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
Hi. Hoping someone from Specialized could reply to this question: I have a Turbo Levo Comp 2020. Very happy about the Lupine light that was easy to install. Just connected to the unused port 2 front light. Works perfect! I don't need rear light/brake light. I am considering USB iPhone charger connected to unused port 3 rear light/brake light.I have ordered the 3-pin rear light cable that fits unused port no 3 - red connection. I have also ordered a DC/DC Converter 12V/24V to 5V 15W from Amazon: Thinking of connecting an iPhone usb charger cable to the converter and heat shrink protection around it. Of course would need to connect 3 pin cable between rear light cable and converter as well.

Would this be a safe setup for the Turbo Levo? Does it avoid warranty or will the motor/TCU tell me if something wrong so I shouldn't worry about damaging battery/motor/TCU?

It would be a fantastic possibility since the Turbo Levo 700wh gives us such long range and I belive a lot of us use our phones with Blevo/Mission control/Strava etc. And in low temp conditions the smart phones don't last for more than 1-2 hours. And for a 3-5 hour rides it would be nice not having to stop and recharge phone.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Hi. Hoping someone from Specialized could reply to this question: I have a Turbo Levo Comp 2020. Very happy about the Lupine light that was easy to install. Just connected to the unused port 2 front light. Works perfect! I don't need rear light/brake light. I am considering USB iPhone charger connected to unused port 3 rear light/brake light.I have ordered the 3-pin rear light cable that fits unused port no 3 - red connection. I have also ordered a DC/DC Converter 12V/24V to 5V 15W from Amazon: Thinking of connecting an iPhone usb charger cable to the converter and heat shrink protection around it. Of course would need to connect 3 pin cable between rear light cable and converter as well.

Would this be a safe setup for the Turbo Levo? Does it avoid warranty or will the motor/TCU tell me if something wrong so I shouldn't worry about damaging battery/motor/TCU?

It would be a fantastic possibility since the Turbo Levo 700wh gives us such long range and I belive a lot of us use our phones with Blevo/Mission control/Strava etc. And in low temp conditions the smart phones don't last for more than 1-2 hours. And for a 3-5 hour rides it would be nice not having to stop and recharge phone.

It would be brilliant if it would work. It seems like such an obvious use case. It's rather ridiculous to attach a battery to an ebike for your phone. I ended up getting the Raveman 1600 front lamp as (1) I needed a front lamp for commuting and (2) it has a USB power out.

My LBS told me that using a port on the motor for USB would screw up the power management.

I'd love for them to be wrong! I could imagine a nice USB port on the top of the steering tube.

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
I just finished the installation and it works great :) As described above. You just have to make sure to get the new 3 pin connector cable to rear light: Supernova Connection Cable for Brose Rear Lights - 3-Pin - without brake signal output First I ordered the wrong cable and got the 2 pin connector. Also the converter from Amazon works fine. Am pretty sure it won't mess up the motor or battery. I think the TCU will tell you if something is wrong.

EricJS

Oct 14, 2020
Switzerland
Maybe this might be helpful to achieve what you want:

www.sp-connect.eu/collections/bike/products/cable-wireless-charger

www.sp-connect.eu/collections/bike/products/wireless-charging-module

I got the charging cable from SP Connect fitted by my local Specialized dealer and he saw no implications as far as warranty is concerned. The cable is connected to the front light port and is therefore, switched on/off correctly with the power button. It converts the voltage accordingly without any additional device/converter - very simple. You can charge your phone either by connecting it directly via USB-C or indirectly using the wireless charger. Works perfectly.

IMG_20201014_190731.jpg
IMG_20201014_190909.jpg

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
That is very interesting. I read somewhere that the front light port and rear light port has different voltage - the front is 12V 2A and rear is 6V 2A. So this means the front light port converts the voltage accordingly. Wonder if same applies to the rear light port?

EricJS

Oct 14, 2020
Switzerland
That is very interesting. I read somewhere that the front light port and rear light port has different voltage - the front is 12V 2A and rear is 6V 2A. So this means the front light port converts the voltage accordingly. Wonder if same applies to the rear light port?

I guess this should also work with 6V/2A, the product description of the 'wireless charger cable' says so, however, I used the front port and it works smoothly.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

I got the charging cable from SP Connect fitted by my local Specialized dealer and he saw no implications as far as warranty is concerned. The cable is connected to the front light port and is therefore, switched on/off correctly with the power button. It converts the voltage accordingly without any additional device/converter - very simple. You can charge your phone either by connecting it directly via USB-C or indirectly using the wireless charger. Works perfectly.

View attachment 42170 View attachment 42171
Very neat job! Out of interest, does it offer enough amps for fast charging?

EricJS

Oct 14, 2020
Switzerland
Very neat job! Out of interest, does it offer enough amps for fast charging?

according to the definition of Quick Charge 2.0, it should support up to 2A. This is the case with the cable mentioned. It is not excactly hyper-fast charging but the same you get from your regular power supply based on the QC2.0 standard at home. Nevertheless, when used to connect your phone while riding, then it is not really a queston on 'recharging' but to simply keep the device on a reasonably charged level on long tour - at least this my typical use case.

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
While it's covient to draw the power from the Levo battery, but having cables hanging around also when you don't need them. Water can get into the USB ports what will not please the TCU.

I use the SP connect adapters on the bike (steam mount pro) and on the phone. Having a powerbank (Charmast Powerbank 10000mAh) and attached SP connect adhesive adapters on both sides, so that I can stack the powerbank between the steam mount and the phone if I need it (plus a litte usb cable with rectangle connectors)
Powerbank front.jpg Powerbank rear.jpg
PS: This powerbank has the typical USB-A connectors (and micro USB for charging) but also a USB-C connector that supports fastcharge PD or QC 18W in both directions (for the phone as well as for the powerbank).

Last edited:

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
That power bank seems like a good solution. But I am very pleased with the iPhone charger hardwired to my Turbo Levo. Its plug and play. The Brose motors have unused ports so why not use them. But of course it does not offer USB-C and 18w.

Hammick

Feb 3, 2022
Kansas City, Missouri
Has anyone gotten any input from Specialized about whether using the motor AUX ports voids the bike's warranty? I recently had the battery fail on my 2020 Turbo Levo Comp. Specialized covered it under warranty but the manager of my LBS recommended that I remove my wireless phone charger plugged into the Front AUX port. Said Specialized would likely deny warranty on a failed motor if using an AUX port.

This is the charger I'm using with the Brose Lupine cable. Been running one on my motorcycle for a couple years and they work great.

EDIT: Just saw on another thread that Specialized Rider Care was participating and never indicated that using these ports would void the warranty (Unused ports on 2.1 motor? - EMTB Forums) My charger draws less than 1 amp when charging my Iphone 11 Pro. Below is a review of the product where the guy measured the current.

Great, so far. Pulls 0.78amp at 12.2v, on an Iphone 11 Pro, with a thin case. (10 watts)
By D. Amazon Buyer on July 6, 2021I just got it, connected to my power supply, and numbers are Great, so far.
Pulls 0.78amp at 12.2v, on an Iphone 11 Pro, with a thin case. With screen on, battery % increases 2% every 5mins or so. That is awesome, as screen is on, and it's still charging, and only using 10 watts of power (12.2v*0.79a).
With phone removed, and wireless charging still on, amp draw is very low, jumping between 0.016a and 0.035a. This will take a long time to drain the vehicle battery, but best to wire it into 12v switched power.
Regarding the mount and clamp, haven't used it yet but it looks solid. Some of the reviews show a plastic clamp with ball that can break, but the "updated" version shown here includes a metal clamp and ball, with rubber coating on the outside of the ball, for gription. The "nut" is still plastic though, I would expect that to be fine though. I'll update of something negative happens! see less

Last edited:

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
There is no reason to void the motor or the battery warranty if used within the specified limits. The Spec tech service manual even describe the "feature" and the capacity for each light port - see image below.

Note: I was using a similar wireless phone charger and since some recent firmware updates (maybe 6 months ago, already) it can no longer charge the phone, connected to the rear light port - gives an error indicating too much power being drained from the light port. Same issue with a connected light. It worked well before, though...

image (1).png

Anyone else using the light ports from the motor?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Light ports are for be seen lights. If you want real off-road lights you are way better off using self powered ones. Same for your phone. charge it before you put it on the bike.

Hammick

Feb 3, 2022
Kansas City, Missouri
Light ports are for be seen lights. If you want real off-road lights you are way better off using self powered ones. Same for your phone. charge it before you put it on the bike.

Using Blevo on 5 hour plus rides and I need a phone charger. I also listen to Spotify when appropriate and that uses juice as well.

ohadbenita

Dec 23, 2022
Israel

View attachment 42170 View attachment 42171
A bit late to the party here I admit but how did the dealer fit the cable? He had to cut the existing SP connect cable and weld it to the brose motor cable? Do you think it should work on the rear light port of a 2020 Turbo Levo?

MattBlack

Jun 17, 2023
Seattle
Love this thread. I’m limiting my search to options that I can power from the motor. I have been doing some research, I’ll share what I have found so far:

Light only
  1. Lupine Lighting System, pricey ($400) made for Brose motors
Light and phone power
I use my mountain bike for the city and the mountain. I live in Seattle which has rain, steep hills, and a LOT of construction. Imagine hitting a 1” thick metal plate at 30mph going down hill, that wasn’t there the day before 😅. Ideally, I could have a front light for the dark days of winter, along with some power for my phone. Also, a low beam for the city, and high beam for the mountain. I have not found something yet that checks all these boxes.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Nah don't think so, I have a lupine SL-F DOT approved light that is more than adequate for on-road and offroad, and I also have their SL-X (1800lumen) on my other bike that is a bright asf beam of focused light. These are both wired into the "light port's" on my brose motor (turbo levo). Now these Lupine lights aren't cheap, and I do not know what lighting setup you are comparing; but many miles through the woods in total darkness. (I would also recommend a helmet lamp in combination with any bike light, especially if your in the wilderness)

In regards to the phone charging/usb-dongle utilizing the additional light port, you should be just fine. However, you will need to make sure your current draw doesn't trigger a MIL warning on your TCU (visible in mastermind) for an "excessive current draw" it wont hurt anything though as it will just cut power to the port and you can clear it through a quick power cycle. I do like the idea that another poster had about using a battery pack for a steady and consistent power draw, and then charge your phone, camera, or accessories off the battery pack, if it works as intended.

One final note, your TCU already has a USB port on it for updates and calibration tuning of the bike, so to conclude specialized should have just added a usb-c port as a factory installed option on their bikes years ago, so we don't have to figure this out, and use up a good port for a hardwired light like a C14 that is integrated into your seatpost.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles