Unused ports on 2.1 motor?

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
I found this on page 148 of the service workbook:

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 10.11.15 AM.png

Front/rear lights... interesting. And one called "E-Bike". Is this maybe for future functionality where you'll actually turn lights on and off via some switches in the cockpit? Anyone try probing these ports to see if there's any voltage present?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The light ports punch out 6 volts.
I thought of using one for a USB charger at one stage but would have to step it down to 5 volts for this to work.

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
The light ports punch out 6 volts.
I thought of using one for a USB charger at one stage but would have to step it down to 5 volts for this to work.

And it's just a constant 6V as long as the bike is turned on?

I wonder if there are any ~6V lights out there where you could remove the battery and wire into that port. Your typical small user-replaceable lion battery (CR2 or CR123) is going to be 3V nominal so any light that takes two of those should be an easy replacement. HMMM...

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
And it's just a constant 6V as long as the bike is turned on?

I wonder if there are any ~6V lights out there where you could remove the battery and wire into that port. Your typical small user-replaceable lion battery (CR2 or CR123) is going to be 3V nominal so any light that takes two of those should be an easy replacement. HMMM...
Only tested with the bike turned on, not turning the cranks. I guess it’s constant 6v, don’t know what amps you could draw from it. I briefly looked at motorbike lights as some of them are 6v but they would have to be led and therefore low amp draw.

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
Ahh yeah, I wasn't event thinking of wired ones, that's even easier. Do those have on/off switches on the lights themselves? Other than the whole voiding-your-warranty thing, and how to route the power wire, it seems like a great way to add a light to your bike without worrying about yet another device to charge.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Ahh yeah, I wasn't event thinking of wired ones, that's even easier. Do those have on/off switches on the lights themselves? Other than the whole voiding-your-warranty thing, and how to route the power wire, it seems like a great way to add a light to your bike without worrying about yet another device to charge.
Would not be hard to wire in a switch. Look at motorbike stuff again, I’m sure I’ve seen neat bar mounted swithces.
Can even get the cable and plug if you look

As for voiding warranty. It’s plug and play so not hard to rig so you can easily remove cable from motor before it goes into the shop.
62753FBA-B733-435F-AFF4-EE0A5C608495.png

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Oh snap that's specifically a Brose light cable...I wonder if there are other Brose bikes already using these ports?
Yeah, it’s what they are for. Some commuters use them, hence why Brose made it this way. You have a front and rear light port and the other I think is for a bar mount display.
Actually I think it’s where the mode handlebar switch plugs into on the 2018 bike.

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
If the motor is just always sending them 6V why be specific about about a "front" and "back" port? Maybe there's a protocol you can send through the controller cable to turn them on/off?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
How does the motor know when to turn on/off the brake light?

I think the e-bike port is used to signal 2 different events (both cut power to the motor):
  1. Signal when either front or rear brake is applied. See: Ebike Brake Levers
  2. Signal when a gear change is in progress. -- Ebike gear shifters not yet available?
Note: Rear light port and E-Bike port both have 3 pins. Where can you buy these cables?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
How does the motor know when to turn on/off the brake light?

I think the e-bike port is used to signal 2 different events (both cut power to the motor):
  1. Signal when either front or rear brake is applied. See: Ebike Brake Levers
  2. Signal when a gear change is in progress. -- Ebike gear shifters not yet available?
Note: Rear light port and E-Bike port both have 3 pins. Where can you buy these cables?
The answer could be Lupine - expensive but very high quality.
Lupine Rotlicht uses an accelerometer to activate the brake light.
Lupine Lighting Systems - E-Bike lights • Brose
dsc02911v3-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 7.58.48 pm.png

dsc00660-5.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the motor is used on a Speed pedelec front and rear lights, brake light and motor cut out if either brake is used, are all compulsory. Assuming all ports are live finding out what lights are fitted to Speed Pedelecs would possibly be the best bet.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I use the above brose cable and a £10 Solarstorm twin LED light. At 6v the battery indicator built into the lamp unit shows "red" all the time as 6v is at the low end of the operating range, but it works perfectly.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
IMG_20191019_2220401.jpg

I use the light port on the levo with a Lupine SL F, I bought the Bosch Version when I got my Trek Powerfly and just cut/resolderd the cable once I got the levo. I got to say it is my best and only mod. We do a lot of night riding also in summer cuz of the heat and I would not want to miss it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the port is always on there is no way to switch the light off on the levo side like you could do on a bosch bike. The light itself has an on/off switch on the bottom of the bulb and on the F-Version you can also turn it off/on by holding the highbeam button on the remote.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I also have Lupine sl sf. Love the high and low beam function when going to the woods. Not the most powerful Lupine I have but enough for me.
No need for additional helmet light.

I don't have the source anymore but I have read that front light output in brose 2.1 mag s is 12V and 2A.
Edit: I must be blind. This info was already in post #12 above.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
If the motor is just always sending them 6V why be specific about about a "front" and "back" port? Maybe there's a protocol you can send through the controller cable to turn them on/off?
The ports are different. Rear has less amps.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
As you've seen from the table above, the light ports are available but limited to 2A max - this is pretty important. We've seen with the Lupine SL SF (for example - with high beam) that the inrush current is way higher than 2A so the motor sometimes shows an error. Same with the Supernova M99 mini (we believe - we're in the process of checking this out). Key point is being sure to keep the inrush and regular use current under 2A if you use these light ports on the Brose motors. Note also that the max current on the Brose 1.1/1.2 motors we used on 2016/17 Levo and on many Vado bikes is 0.5A.

Last edited:

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I have Lupine SL SF in 2019 levo sw and it's working fine, no errors. Should I be worryed or just keep going?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
As you've seen from the table above, the light ports are available but limited to 2A max - this is pretty important. We've seen with the Lupine SL SF (for example - with high beam) that the inrush current is way higher than 2A so the motor sometimes shows an error. Same with the Supernova M99 mini (we believe - we're in the process of checking this out). Key point is being sure to keep the inrush and regular use current under 2A if you use these light ports on the Brose motors. Note also that the max current on the Brose 1.1/1.2 motors we used on 2016/17 Levo and on many Vado bikes is 0.5A.
So this means Lupine SL SF is not 100% compatible with Brose 2.1 motor because it may cause errors on TCU, that's a shame ... I had plans to buy this headlight in near future, but this is really a deal breaker, don't wanna see any errors if paying that much for a headlight ...

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
So this means Lupine SL SF is not 100% compatible with Brose 2.1 motor because it may cause errors on TCU, that's a shame ... I had plans to buy this headlight in near future, but this is really a deal breaker, don't wanna see any errors if paying that much for a headlight ...

I mean, the Lupine is specifically marketed as for this Brose motor, it seems unlikely that it would raise errors...although Rider Tech did say they've seen some. I wonder if anyone has contacted Lupine to ask if they've seen reports of that as well.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Found the old discussion about the 2017/2018 Levo:

Well thanks to Tori and everyone else who chimed in. I picked up the bike. Yup it wasn’t the latest firmware in there after all. They called specialized and were told it needed updating. You’d think a new bike would come with the latest update. Anyway battery is now 10.23.1 and motor 5.4.0 and the light comes on when I turn it on. I did notice the bulb housing gets hot fast too. Not sure what effect it has on range but it looks like it’s part of the bike. Very nice.

Old thread

tophies

Sep 16, 2019
UK
I have installed the Lupine SL SF Brose (International) 31.8 mm - on my Levo 2019 an excellent light and with the cable is simple plug and play. But... Nobody or no supplier seems to know where to get the rear light cable with the 2.1 plug as this has changed from the previous motor. I assume this is so that you don't plug front light into rear and vice versa. The issue is no supplier has the new (I think) 3 pin plug for a rear light., I ended up buying a rear cable just to see and it certainly doesn't fit the 2.1 motor.

If anyone else knows where to get the new shape plug let me know as I tried everywhere to no avail.

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
I have installed the Lupine SL SF Brose (International) 31.8 mm - on my Levo 2019 an excellent light and with the cable is simple plug and play. But... Nobody or no supplier seems to know where to get the rear light cable with the 2.1 plug as this has changed from the previous motor. I assume this is so that you don't plug front light into rear and vice versa. The issue is no supplier has the new (I think) 3 pin plug for a rear light., I ended up buying a rear cable just to see and it certainly doesn't fit the 2.1 motor.

If anyone else knows where to get the new shape plug let me know as I tried everywhere to no avail.
think I found the cable for Mag s rear light here:

Brose Cable set tail light 23995 | Accessoires | BMZ GmbH

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
Keep going! it's a great light! The motor/TCU will tell you if there's a problem.
Hoping someone from Specialized could reply to this question: I have a Turbo Levo Comp 2020. Very happy about the Lupine light that was easy to install. Just connected to the unused port 2 front light. Works perfect! I am now considering USB iPhone charger connecting to port 3 rear light/brake light.I have ordered the 3-pin rear light cable that fits unused port no 3 - red connection. I have also ordered a DC/DC Converter 12V/24V to 5V 15W from Amazon: Thinking of connecting an iPhone usb charger cable to this setup and heat shrink protection. Of course would need to connect cable correctly between rear light cable and converter. Would this be a safe setup for the Turbo Levo? Does it avoid warranty or will the motor/TCU tell me if something wrong so I shouldn't worry about damaging battery/motor/TCU?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles