Unsure about buying a better ebike

Lewis

Nov 11, 2018
Littlehampton
Hi all i started riding a woosh krieger ebike before UK law changed.due to epilepsy and need transport, so mine has throttle and pedal assist, i tweaked power to just under 20mph,i burnt out 3 motors so far, upgraded to a 350w and bypassed peddal assist so i have to get bike moving then open throttle. So far so good. I keep looking at new bikes but so many faults with motors, and you should not use as launch control loke you would on motorbike, but they should be. Im waiting for ebikes to catch up with motorbikes for reliability but cost wise you can buy a 125 for less, even with tax/insurance.
My choices on mid drive so far have leaned more to Brose and yamaha but hear moans about Brose not pulling away as fast as others, then you read about within a year being sent back as bearings or spinndle broke.any tips from user of newer evbikes?
Im 51 5’10” 13st

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It sounds like you might be looking for something quite specific.

I think you can get throttle e-bikes but they are the equivalent of mopeds in the UK so you need insurance and number plate etc and just for road use (?)

My recommendation for a first step would just be to try whatever e-bikes are available to you in some local shops and see how you feel about them, and whether they could fit your requirements.

Lewis

Nov 11, 2018
Littlehampton
It sounds like you might be looking for something quite specific.

I think you can get throttle e-bikes but they are the equivalent of mopeds in the UK so you need insurance and number plate etc and just for road use (?)

My recommendation for a first step would just be to try whatever e-bikes are available to you in some local shops and see how you feel about them, and whether they could fit your requirements.

UK changed the law on ebikes using throttle so now we can only have pedlec (pedal only )

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Check this link about the L1e-A classification: New e-bike category ups the power to 1000 watts - Cycling Weekly

It says "The 25kph limit stills stands, but ... now allows e-bikes to be powered by motors of up to 1000 watts. There’s no need for the rider to actually pedal either: power output can be regulated by a throttle. The rider needs to be licensed and the machine registered and insured, but unlike riders of motorcycles and mopeds, there’s no requirement to wear a helmet and the e-bikes can be used on a cycle path."

So if you want a throttle then something like that might work for you? But I don't think you could use it offroad on trails etc, so it depends what usage you are thinking of.

Lewis

Nov 11, 2018
Littlehampton
Check this link about the L1e-A classification: New e-bike category ups the power to 1000 watts - Cycling Weekly

It says "The 25kph limit stills stands, but ... now allows e-bikes to be powered by motors of up to 1000 watts. There’s no need for the rider to actually pedal either: power output can be regulated by a throttle. The rider needs to be licensed and the machine registered and insured, but unlike riders of motorcycles and mopeds, there’s no requirement to wear a helmet and the e-bikes can be used on a cycle path."

So if you want a throttle then something like that might work for you? But I don't think you could use it offroad on trails etc, so it depends what usage you are thinking of.

I like the idea of bigger stronger motors as it would give more scope for more reliable, and just restrict speeds to 20-25mph but still ride when no licence

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles