Levo SL Gen 1 UK firmware upgrade cost

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Hey all,

I bought my levo sl online during lockdown. My LBS didn’t have my size so I had to purchase from the other end of the country.

My LBS is looking to charge £75 for the firmware upgrade my app is telling me my bike is due.

Just wondering if this is normal / reasonable?

Thanks ya’ll

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OTA updates not available for Levo SL?
No. Only relatively recently became available on 2.1 Levo's after a fairly extensive testing period.

I bought my levo sl online during lockdown. My LBS didn’t have my size so I had to purchase from the other end of the country.

My LBS is looking to charge £75 for the firmware upgrade my app is telling me my bike is due.

That does sound a bit on the steep side !! I can understand a shop charging you if you didn't buy it from them, but I think I'd be looking around and asking some other shops unless they're doing more than just the firmware upgrade for £75.

@Specialized Rider Care is there an expected or set rate for firmware upgrades from shops which weren't original suppliers ?

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I got charged £20 by Skenes in Cardiff.

Some shops do it for free (according to this forum)....

It takes less than 5 minutes. £75 sounds like a p!$$ take. I felt a tad done with £20 if the stories of a lot of places doing it for free were true.

Reactions: Wak

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I was told it's £25 when I got my Levo from a Spesh Concept Store, I can't see why it should be any different at an LBS or that it's a Levo SL.

With OTA updates available free for the FF Levo, it looks like someone's trying to make up the shortfall from SL riders. I'd ask for a breakdown of the £75 cost.

Also, has it had it's free first service? if not, any software updates should be done foc as part of that.

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Righto, thanks all, I think I’ll pass on the £75

I wasn’t aware of the free service, is there a time limit on that? Am I also likely to run into issues with LBS as I didn’t purchase from them?

sure some concessions could be made given I couldn’t get the bike from them and they are a spech retailer?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Righto, thanks all, I think I’ll pass on the £75

I wasn’t aware of the free service, is there a time limit on that? Am I also likely to run into issues with LBS as I didn’t purchase from them?

sure some concessions could be made given I couldn’t get the bike from them and they are a spech retailer?

I think the the service is within the first 3 months, although that is flexible, mine was almost 5 months. I bought my Levo online from Rutland Cycling, I didn't know at the time they run the Spesh concept store in Nottingham, which is their closest store to me. As far as they are concerned I bought the bike from the Concept Store and treat me/the bike as such.

I'd certainly contact Spesh Rider Support if your not getting good service from your LBS, particularly if they are an official Spesh dealer.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Hopefully Specialized will be getting closer to OTA updates for the SL too - I'm hanging back on updating my firmware for a while (if it ain't broke...) to see if anything develops on that score.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I don't blame you, I haven't had the software updated on my Levo since I bought it in Dec '19, not had any issues at all.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I don't blame you, I haven't had the software updated on my Levo since I bought it in Dec '19, not had any issues at all.
I'm generally in favour of keeping on top of firmware (I'm a photographer too, and I'm diligent about checking for updates for my cameras - not least because camera firmware updates occasionally deliver functionality improvements that I would welcome, and the manufacturer always tells us what the upgrade is about) but Specialized doesn't really publicise what a given firmware upgrade will do, and I'm always a bit nervous about that approach, on principle.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I'm generally in favour of keeping on top of firmware (I'm a photographer too, and I'm diligent about checking for updates for my cameras - not least because camera firmware updates occasionally deliver functionality improvements that I would welcome, and the manufacturer always tells us what the upgrade is about) but Specialized doesn't really publicise what a given firmware upgrade will do, and I'm always a bit nervous about that approach, on principle.

Me too, I'm an Apple fanboy and fastidious about updates on everything, but since Spesh messed up the walk mode on the update before last I decided not to do it as I use walk so often.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Hopefully Specialized will be getting closer to OTA updates for the SL too - I'm hanging back on updating my firmware for a while (if it ain't broke...) to see if anything develops on that score.
i was thinking that as well , but apparently the update for early release sls involves rotating the pedals while the bike is hooked up to the computer so who knows if this will be a diy update

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
i was thinking that as well , but apparently the update for early release sls involves rotating the pedals while the bike is hooked up to the computer so who knows if this will be a diy update
IIRC, that was only to address a specific problem where - after a firmware update - the motor's speed/power calibration had slipped: some people reported less power after an update, and this pedalling procedure was part of the calibration fix.

I assume it won't be an issue unless a firmware update causes the calibration problem, in which case - off to the shop.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Berkshire Bikes did mine for free, I didn't purchase it from there although I did succumb to a new set of Fox Factory 36 in rootbeer while picking the bike up :) Damn them for having them behind the counter.......

P.S. the firmware update made a massive difference to the feel of the bike. It's been transformational. So much smoother in power delivery and cut off.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That's to power the system. You have to rotate the pedals for at least 2 hours at a cadence of 90+ to keep the correct charge to maintain the satellite lock whilst you make the transfer.

If you have the SL "camping and microwave" attachment through the spare battery ports, they suggest a cadence of at least 140 if you want to cook at the same time ! Madness.

valium97

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Wow, that is quite a number. My preferred dealer has switched from ‘free of charge- updates’ to charging €29, which I completely understand. Not only do they pay for hardware, software, training and the mechanics spending time on it, they also have to fight off ‘update-tourists’ that show up every two weeks to ask for the latest update. And btw, if it is for the extended warranty for the Levo’s, that’s free of charge.
That’s what I consider a fair deal for everybody involved. The ppl wanting everything for free are the first to complain, when only the big chain stores survive who don’t give a crap about the single customer.

Hey all,

Just wondering if this is normal / reasonable?

Thanks ya’ll
[/QUOTE

Moby_IOM

Jan 26, 2021
Isle of Man
I've just bought a 2nd 2019 Levo.... its on it's original motor. How do I know what firmware update I'm on.... is it what's displayed in the Mission control app and if so what is the latest or preferred Firmware version?

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
Morning all. I only noticed yesterday that my Levo SL ‘needs’ a firmware update when I was taking screenshots of mission control for my sale listing. Has anyone got further news on this? I too bought the bike during lockdown from a shop that is not local to me...
Does anyone know what the update does? Will it matter if I wait? What’s the likelihood of OTA SL updates anytime soon? How welcoming/cranky is my lbs likely to be if I turn up with a bike I didn’t purchase from them...?
Questions questions

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles