Levo Gen 2 Cost of Ebikes

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just realising the cost of maintenance compared to what it cost with a real bike ,a lot more I think scary . Wear and tear seems to be a lot more ok I am doing a lot more miles and doing harder stuff than before . Also the
Levo is capable of a lot more than I would ever use it for I do wonder if I was doing big jumps etc it would be even worst.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Most of the cost of maintenance is time. If you do not spend the time you end up spending real money to replace parts!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Most of the cost of maintenance is time. If you do not spend the time you end up spending real money to replace parts!
Know what you mean but I seem to be spending a hellava lot more time than I ever have had to before , even the wife noticed the amount of faffing about I am doing . The headset bearings for one example need to be checked a lot more than i ever did and they have not lasted any longer just cleaned a lot more . First time for an off the peg bike for ten years so maybe not as good as I have been used to.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
It begs the question, is the time saved by the bike being quicker counterbalanced by the increased amount of faff time, compared to a normal bike ?

Even simply cleaning the bike and chain takes more time.

Drive train wear is quicker. Other jobs such as internal routing are a nightmare. Anything electrical goes wrong and it's a couple of time consuming trips to the bike shop.

The only positive side is that I don't have to keep regularly changing the bottom bracket.

Blasting uphill quicker than the fastest person ever on a normal bike is fun though, regardless of whether the time it saves is worth the faff!

Maybe in the future E Bikes will get more durable?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It begs the question, is the time saved by the bike being quicker counterbalanced by the increased amount of faff time, compared to a normal bike ?

Even simply cleaning the bike and chain takes more time.

Drive train wear is quicker. Other jobs such as internal routing are a nightmare. Anything electrical goes wrong and it's a couple of time consuming trips to the bike shop.

The only positive side is that I don't have to keep regularly changing the bottom bracket.

Blasting uphill quicker than the fastest person ever on a normal bike is fun though, regardless of whether the time it saves is worth the faff!

Maybe in the future E Bikes will get more durable?
Yes my freehub was kind of goosed couldn't fin one that was actually in stock so decided I would buy set of hope wheels keep others as spares £420 ouch.. Think I've spent just over a grand in two years 3600miles. Great bike though but I've just retired so thinking I should start using the other bikes i have as well and save a bit of money. Harder as you get older to jump back on ordinary bike it just feels so slow and hard work once you lose that fitness when it was used regularly.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
cost and time, yea I agree that ebikes are way more intense to maintain.
my old analogue needed nothing but cleaning really and I was shocked at how much the ebike went through in terms of chains etc etc.
still, its nothing compared to dirtbikes :D
Long time since I had a dirtb
cost and time, yea I agree that ebikes are way more intense to maintain.
my old analogue needed nothing but cleaning really and I was shocked at how much the ebike went through in terms of chains etc etc.
still, its nothing compared to dirtbikes :D
Some folk love the faff though, chainbaths etc someone on here suggested opening motor up and doing this and that before you even use it .

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Harder as you get older to jump back on ordinary bike it just feels so slow and hard work once you lose that fitness when it was used regularly.

I'm 35 and ordinary bike feels very slow, hard work and not much fun once you get used to the EMTB. I like to use Trail and Turbo mode a lot.

I have to go back to ordinary bikes at times. Like when my E Bike is in the bike shop for repairs.

Some folk love the faff though, chainbaths etc someone on here suggested opening motor up and doing this and that before you even use it

I can't understand where they're coming from because I hate it

I really wish everything on bikes was just fit and forget. As bikes get better durability is the main thing I'd like to see improve.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I think Levo SL users don’t have much to complain about the durability. It depends so much on who and where it is ridden.
My wife's Levo HT with 1.2 motor. Still same motor, chain and cassette. 3200 km ridden.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I think Levo SL users don’t have much to complain about the durability. It depends so much on who and where it is ridden.
My wife's Levo HT with 1.2 motor. Still same motor, chain and cassette. 3200 km ridden.

My Levo SL has 2400 km, much of it ridden on a surface that is like sandpaper without the paper. ;) I recently changed the cassette and found the chain was not even to 0.5 on the Park checker, the original cassette showed little wear, and the freehub had only small notches from a few of the cogs. No complaints.
I ride with two Vados that have about 4500 km, one recently needed a chain and both needed new tires (Specialized)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles