Levo Gen 2 cost for warranty replacement

gdcase

Nov 15, 2019
Nampa, ID
My 2019 Levo Carbon Expert motor failed earlier this year. While the motor was replaced under warranty, the LBS charged be $300 to install the new motor. I did not buy my bike at this shop. Is it reasonable to pay a Specialized dealer to install a warranty motor?

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Nope! That is equal to 3hrs labor at $100 an hour for a 30 minute job. A decent Bike mechanic could do a complete teardown/rebuild servicing in that time for less!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
No way! That is ludicrous. Report them to Specialized as I'm sure they won't take this behaviour kindly as it will impact their brand.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
The shop is also getting payment from specialized for doing the work, so they are double dipping. Find yourself another dealer and post who it is so others know to avoid them.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
1598538165013.png

Manxbiker

Jul 20, 2020
Isle of man
I've been told by specialized that my local bike shop can charge labour for any warranty work I need to be done as I didn't buy the bike there, recently had a power cable replaced and they only charged £10 which I thought was fair enough.
But to charge $300 to change a motor is taking the piss, if its an authorised specialized dealer I'd get in touch with specialized and let them know, they will surely do something about it

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Let’s have the name of the shop then @gdcase ?
I’m sure others in your area would appreciate knowing which shop this is so they can avoid it.
If I receive good service I’ll tell people about it...if I receive bad service I’ll tell people about it ?

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Interesting times listed in the manual above. When I had my motor replaced the LBS told me it takes them several hours to do a motor swap.

gdcase

Nov 15, 2019
Nampa, ID
I spoke to the owner/mechanic regarding the charges, and his answer satisfied me that he worked as fast as possible and it took longer than he charged me for. He has issues with the service manual times. I did not purchase the bike from him, and he does good work for me for a fair price on a number of bikes. I decline to out him here...you'll have to eat your meat elsewhere :)

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I spoke to the owner/mechanic regarding the charges, and his answer satisfied me that he worked as fast as possible and it took longer than he charged me for. He has issues with the service manual times. I did not purchase the bike from him, and he does good work for me for a fair price on a number of bikes. I decline to out him here...you'll have to eat your meat elsewhere :)
You got milked here big time. But it's all good, because his answer satisfied you, so it was worth every penny. Case closed.

Manxbiker

Jul 20, 2020
Isle of man
He took longer than $300 worth of labour?!! ?? you really need to find someone who knows how to work on these bikes, it should take an hour max, if he's taking hours he shouldn't be passing the charge onto you, any decent bike mechanic should find a motor change a simple job

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
When I took my Levo in for a simple stripped screw and nut that would not tighten or come out that holds down the TCU, I was told that Specialized allows the bike shop to charge labor for warranty repairs. I paid $30 for that repair. However, when the same shop replaced my motor in my 2019 Levo, I paid $0.00. Go figure.

johnwski

Aug 11, 2019
Calif
My 2020 Levo Comp motor failed early November. The motor was replaced under warranty, the LBS wanted to charge me $180 to install the new motor and I hit the bloody roof! I bought the bike from this shop. They lowered the charge to $50 which I thought was fair.

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I don't understand why some dealers are charging labour and some aren't. I thought specialized paid the labour costs back to them directly? Maybe its different in the UK?

I've been back for various warranty fixes (TCU, cable, jockey wheels, fork, shock, motor) , total cost £0 parts or labour.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I don't understand why some dealers are charging labour and some aren't. I thought specialized paid the labour costs back to them directly? Maybe its different in the UK?

I've been back for various warranty fixes (TCU, cable, jockey wheels, fork, shock, motor) , total cost £0 parts or labour.
Same here in Finland. If it's a warranty issue, you don't pay anything.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
Motor replace and later this year also software update was free of charge on my lbs. I didn't even bought my bike from there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles