UCI E-MTB World Championships - Monte St Anne

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
some of the racers instagram's and instastories are worth a look.
Particularly Wyn's

Coolbanana

Jan 13, 2019
Algarve, Portugal
So why an Emtb race? I believe the niche appeals to two types: 1) motorcycle racers wanting something a little less dangerous and alot more convienent and 2) Mtb riders looking for a more technical challenge on XC trails. If you have ever raced motorcycles you know Emtbs requrie much less time and effort to maintain compared to a motorcycle and there are tons more areas to ride an Emtb. Emtb racing allows traditional Mtb riders to race on more technical trails (steep uphills and downhill courses too knarly for lightweight XC bikes) at speeds they just can't maintain by pedaling only. There seems to be a growing number of riders who fit this niche. Just saying.

I can't see motorcycle racers hopping onto an EMTB and getting the same experience - i.e the experience they are wanting, even if less dangerously. Racing an EMTB is hard work. It requires not only MTB skills but serious cycling strength and fitness too.

Anyone jumping onto an EMTB and expecting that they can focus purely on technical skill and win races would be in for a shock.

I do agree however that EMTB's do allow riders to tackle more technical trails - the torque brings with it a lot more scope for more difficult terrain to be raced upon and I learnt how to ride off-road on mine - up until I bought mine, I had very limited trail experience. They make it 'easier' but also can allow more skilful riders to push new boundaries.

I bought my EMTB at the beginning of the year. I used it in conjunction with gym and dieting to lose a lot of weight, tone up and get fit after 15 years of sedentary lifestyle - with a dodgy knee from road cycle racing many years ago.

I can honestly attribute my current fitness - and greatly improved knee issues thanks to steady strengthening - to my then daily 40-50km EMTB rides. I went from EMTB to ECO mode and found it quite a challenge, fitness-wise at first.

Today, I ride my 'normal' XC MTB 4x a week (generally around 40km, circa 600-1000m climbing) and my road bike 1x a week (around 100km, circa 1000m+ climbing). I have 1 day of 'active recovery' on the EMTB and 1x complete rest day.

I ride my 'normal' bikes now because I am a good weight, much fitter and improving. I have 'discovered' Strava and have racked up 10 KOM's in August alone, on trails that are raced by elite athletes every year. I was a reasonably decent road racer in my younger days and that fitness is returning. Thanks to my EMTB.

EMTB's are very much underestimated - certainly by the vast majority of those who have commented upon the UCI Championship Race on Facebook etc that I have seen. Too many think that all they are about is putting 50W in and getting 300W out. When you put in 400W of your own power, you get a pretty quick machine on very steep terrain! But you will suffer, as you would on a 'normal' MTB. Plus, they have a limited assist so above 25km/h and you are racing a heavier machine.

I'll admit I prefer my 9kg race XC bike and all my own effort now, but my EMTB is a wonderful active recovery bike and was the reason I got fit in the first place this year. I can see why many would prefer them outright and want to race them.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
What’s interesting is the clear lack of off road ability in the way some of the Lycra clad riders tackle the course.

One example is at 05:40 where Wyn and I think the eventual winner on the orange/red Levo go over the ‘wooden’ hill. The contrast is clear.

Coolbanana

Jan 13, 2019
Algarve, Portugal
What’s interesting is the clear lack of off road ability in the way some of the Lycra clad riders tackle the course.

One example is at 05:40 where Wyn and I think the eventual winner on the orange/red Levo go over the ‘wooden’ hill. The contrast is clear.

If you wear Lycra does it mean you aren't 'MTB' enough and inferior?

Odd, because Nino Schurter wears Lycra and is a fairly decent racer.

I have MTB shorts and Lycra, if I'm out for a stroll, I wear the shorts, if I'm intending to go full gas or a longer ride, Lycra. More comfortable, I find for hard riding.

Not saying you are wrong about different abilities, that's common. In road cycling some can descend far better than others. In this case, sure some will have better skills for sure, others more power and speed. Par for the course.

Dunno why what they wear makes a difference though...

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Watch the video. It’s a very common meme about Lycra in mtb.

I also ride on the road. I’ve nothing against it. It was more a convenient way in my comment to distinguish between different riders with differing styles, that’s all.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

FYI
That guy infront of Wyn with the "clear lack of off-road ability" just happens to be current world DH champion Loic Bruni's dad Jean Pierre Bruni.. he's in his 50s and just won 2019 Masters DH World champs a week ago.
He is not the eventual winner in this Emtb XC race. He finished in 34th over 3 minutes behind Wyn (27th).
His unstable looking bar turn over that wooden bridge didn't exactly exude style in the way wyn's (half his age) tweak did but let's not forget it was during an XC race on a 48lb bike popped off a daft wooden feature with no lip to it.
Jean Pierre also happened to be one of the only guys other than Wyn who actually ISN'T wearing full lycra. They both have baggy shorts on. The National top of your country has to be worn at world champs. You'll actually be fined $$ if you don't. And it's down to your National body what fit/material it is made from.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
FYI
That guy infront of Wyn with the "clear lack of off-road ability" just happens to be current world DH champion Loic Bruni's dad Jean Pierre Bruni.. he's in his 50s and just won 2019 Masters DH World champs a week ago.
He is not the eventual winner in this Emtb XC race. He finished in 34th over 3 minutes behind Wyn (27th).
His unstable looking bar turn over that wooden bridge didn't exactly exude style in the way wyn's (half his age) tweak did but let's not forget it was during an XC race on a 48lb bike popped off a daft wooden feature with no lip to it.
Jean Pierre also happened to be one of the only guys other than Wyn who actually ISN'T wearing full lycra. They both have baggy shorts on. The National top of your country has to be worn at world champs. You'll actually be fined $$ if you don't. And it's down to your National body what fit/material it is made from.

There you go. So what do I know? Thanks for setting me straight.

This helped tame my ignorance:
Loic Bruni Isn't the Family's Only DH World Champion - Pinkbike

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles