UCI World EMTB Champs

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The first EMTB XC World Champs took place yesterday, and Tom Pidcock from the UK took home gold on his Levo, in conditions like this not surprising a Brit took home the Gold ;)

The DH course looks nuts, plus its going to snow on Sunday - looks like Leogang took on board the criticism that it was too much of a bike park track, and though in some proper Gnar! Cant wait to watch.

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 10.23.36.png

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Proper slop.

Too bad the weather has gone to that in Leogang as I was looking forward to some good racing after last weeks events in Nove Mesto.

Looks like Pidcock was on an SL which made all kinds of sense for his ability and the track as it was. In fact for any of the UCI courses given the EU reg requirement it is all one would need frankly.

Wake me when they have an open class.....

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
So could I and probably am, comment made before full coffee cognization. But I still believe that for fit Pro riders the SL would be the better choice due to the assisted speed limit regulation.

Not that I am for overpowered eBikes but racing is all about overall speed and there are faster eBike types that are still within the spectrum. Maybe have them do a start loop with no assist?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Several of the riders ran out of battery on the 2nd to last lap from reports, but still finished the race. It would be interesting to see how an sl would perform, it would get left for dead in the EWS-E races due to the format and courses there, but in an XC race like the UCI one, I think you would be in the mix.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Several of the riders ran out of battery on the 2nd to last lap

I'll bet that sucked.

For the EWS wouldn't it make sense to use a small Ah as necessary for the stages that you will do before you can hit the pits as they allow hot swapping it seems? Given that as batteries lose voltage they also lose some power. And light is right.

I bet the racing scene will look pretty good after the pandemic and more races and folks to fill the start line comes about. All things being equal it will still be the fittest/lightest riders with skills that will be on the podium but races as events can be fun to attend and be part of.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Can they throw the empty batteries? Are they doomed by eletric derayleur like me??
I love to ride xc modern tracks on my ebike but would rather ride the full race on eco mode than risk to have to push on those conditions.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Looks like suitable conditions for a cyclocross rider to win in. Tough to make top 10 in the women, eh? The whole thing is a bit embarrassing tbh.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The DH course looks nuts, plus its going to snow on Sunday - looks like Leogang took on board the criticism that it was too much of a bike park track, and though in some proper Gnar!
It was always there. The issue was the various landowners agreeing to it's use.

Roon FTW

Oct 13, 2020
QLD, Australia
Well done, Tom! Am interested to know more about why the EPowers eMTBs were specifically excluded - beyond the vague explanation provided by UCI,
Following the tests of the E-MTB bicycles that have been carried out today in accordance with section 13.2 of the Competition Guide for the 2020 UCI World Mountain Bike Championships, the Chairman of the Panel of Stewards considered that the bikes of EPowers did not meet the requirements of the UCI Regulations.

3 Competitors Removed from World Championships eMTB Start List After Bikes Fail UCI Checks - Pinkbike

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that he is being groomed for a grand tour win, so sadly we might not see him getting as muddy in the future

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles