Tyres Over Winter

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
It looks likely that over the winter, most of my riding will be on country lanes, a few fire/gravel roads and none muddy bridle ways.

With this in mind I'm thinking of changing to more general use and better rolling tyres over the winter.

I've been looking at the Vittoria Mezcal as it looks designed for my type of use. Does anyone use Mezcals or have any idea if they are any good for what I'm after?

I'd want to stick to 29 x 2.6 front and rear to keep the circumference the same.

Are there any better options available?

Thanks guys/girls :)

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
We were looking for something similar, but were browsing Schwalbe tires and ending up getting some 'Smart Sam' 29x2.25. The classic sidewall was, unfortunately, also a key item, as was majority use on asphalt and fire roads. We may check out the Mezcal later, it also has a classic option, thanks for sharing. I'll post back how the Schwalbe's are when we've had a bit of time to check them out.

I should add that Schwalbe actually has a better tire for what we're looking for, called the 'Johnny Watts' (or so they say):
1605108260037.png

1605106163467.png

Last edited:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'm using continental cross kings at the moment for similar type riding. They seem to be fast rolling and wearing well, but have still had reasonable grip when I've ended up in the mud.

I've also got some smart sams as above to try at some point.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Thanks tomatoe, they look interesting, and availabe in 2.6.

I really like the sidewalls, a shame they are not available in the 2.6 width, definitely worth considering though :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I'm using continental cross kings at the moment for similar type riding. They seem to be fast rolling and wearing well, but have still had reasonable grip when I've ended up in the mud.

I've also got some smart sams as above to try at some point.

Thanks jimbob, I'll have a look, another contender I think :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles