Tyre wobble after going tubeless.

swampy

Done the tubeless conversion this weekend on my Etrance.
Used the Peaty's conversion kit but no need for the tape on de Etrance as tape is already fitted from factory.
Front took 15 minutes, worst part was breaking the seal to remove the tyre.
Back also took 15 minutes, and went good except for the fact that I had to remove the tyre 3 times and is still not got it perfect.
The bead seats perfectly, no leaks and the rim line is the same distance from the rim all the way round on both sides, but the tyre wobbles. The wheel has been on a jig and has less than 1mm movement.
Its like the tyre is buckled, it's a Maxxis High Roller 2 27,5X2,6. Never heard on this before until I looked it up on Youtube, but apparently it's possible if the sidewall is faulty.
Anyone else had this issue? Any remedies?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got the same thing on a Magic Mary. Only solution is run higher pressures.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
40PSI gets rid of the wobble, under 25 and it's back. Make sure the tyre has seated on the rim properly.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Had the same thing on a Smart Sam that came with the bike. Went tubeless, probably could have lived with it if it was on the back but being on the front I couldn't avert my gaze and nearly came a cropper a couple of times so just chucked it.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Done the tubeless conversion this weekend on my Etrance.
Used the Peaty's conversion kit but no need for the tape on de Etrance as tape is already fitted from factory.
Front took 15 minutes, worst part was breaking the seal to remove the tyre.
Back also took 15 minutes, and went good except for the fact that I had to remove the tyre 3 times and is still not got it perfect.
The bead seats perfectly, no leaks and the rim line is the same distance from the rim all the way round on both sides, but the tyre wobbles. The wheel has been on a jig and has less than 1mm movement.
Its like the tyre is buckled, it's a Maxxis High Roller 2 27,5X2,6. Never heard on this before until I looked it up on Youtube, but apparently it's possible if the sidewall is faulty.
Anyone else had this issue? Any remedies?

That would annoy me, but then the sound of that free hub is loud as well isn’t it!

I’m always packing mine with grease to keep it quiet.

Back to your tyre, I would want that replacing, it’s miles out if its properly seated on the rim.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
It looks like the bead is not truly in seated. A trick I use for my motorcycle tires, is to spray the rim and tire with windex or other glass cleaner to act as a temporary lube to help seat the bead.

Not sure if this would contaminate the sealant or not. But, the idea behind glass cleaner, so I was told, is it evaporates leaving no residue. This was important on a motocross bike where gobs or torque would be transferred through the bead and nothing slippery should remain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When you first installed the tyre did you pump it up to at least 40psi and maybe even as high as 60psi? You should have heard some loud bangs as the beads slipped into place. That is not just me that hears bangs on my tyres, it is a well known occurrence.

swampy

It looks like the bead is not truly in seated. A trick I use for my motorcycle tires, is to spray the rim and tire with windex or other glass cleaner to act as a temporary lube to help seat the bead.

Not sure if this would contaminate the sealant or not. But, the idea behind glass cleaner, so I was told, is it evaporates leaving no residue. This was important on a motocross bike where gobs or torque would be transferred through the bead and nothing slippery should remain.
Bead is truly seated, used carwash and water and just popped into place. No leaks at all.

swampy

When you first installed the tyre did you pump it up to at least 40psi and maybe even as high as 60psi? You should have heard some loud bangs as the beads slipped into place. That is not just me that hears bangs on my tyres, it is a well known occurrence.
Heard the pops and inflated to about 30psi..then let the air out to add the sealant through the valve.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Yup bad tire. My Ardent 2.4 29 on the rear has had a wicked wobble spot since new almost 1000 miles ago haha I don’t give a shit it hooks up and rolls great! Many more miles to before she’s done.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Same here with Continental Der Baron Project 2.4" on front. Wobbles like crazy, re-seated at least 3 times, still no good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles