Going tubeless

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Just a quick note to save others going through what I went through.....

Decided to switch to tubeless. Using the "insert inner tube, pump up to seat one side of rim, break bead on one side, remove tube, add sealant, use track pump and hope", it took about 2 hours, two lots of lost sealant, and no success.

One Amazon delivery later, I used a presta-schraeder valve converter, and a 12v powered car tyre compressor, and did both wheels in less than 20 minutes. The extra money spent is well well worth it, and means it's going to be no hassle to keep the sealant fresh, do other bikes in the stable, etc.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I just went to the service station and used their free air hose. Hit the flat tyre button and presto seated instantly. I then put the sealant down the valve hole. Took a day or two for the sealant to seep into all the holes.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
I just went to the service station and used their free air hose. Hit the flat tyre button and presto seated instantly. I then put the sealant down the valve hole. Took a day or two for the sealant to seep into all the holes.
yep, that works too. But for me it's a bit of a trek (and hassle) to get there, the air isn't free, and I've got another gadget :)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Yeah fully understand. I forgot the air isn't free over there. Good to see those 12v pumps are up to scratch. Thought about buying one but was dubious to how quickly they'd crank out the air.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Just a quick note to save others going through what I went through.....

Decided to switch to tubeless. Using the "insert inner tube, pump up to seat one side of rim, break bead on one side, remove tube, add sealant, use track pump and hope", it took about 2 hours, two lots of lost sealant, and no success.

One Amazon delivery later, I used a presta-schraeder valve converter, and a 12v powered car tyre compressor, and did both wheels in less than 20 minutes. The extra money spent is well well worth it, and means it's going to be no hassle to keep the sealant fresh, do other bikes in the stable, etc.

On my Turbo Levo Comp 2018 I went tubeless in less then an hour, and used no tube to pre-seat the bead. Just popped the tyre beads off, took the tube out, installed the valves, put some sealant and inflated with my track-pump. Out of three years of installing and swapping tubeless tyres this was the easiest and fastest. I'm talking about 27,5 rims and 2,8 butchers on a Levo Comp 2018. It's just the fact that some rim-tyre combinations mate easily, while others are pita to seat the bead.

P.S. I don't think that the "seat one side bead with a tube first" method would be effective for 27,5 Roval rims either as the bead on my rims seated tight only when there was pressure and when I got a good seal after shaking and rolling the wheel. Any loss of pressure resulted in bead rolling down to the center of the rim even after both beads were fully seated (but not sealed).

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Maxxis tyres I can seat easily with a booster pump or compressor. 3 minute job. Schwalbes are a huge pain requiring a tube to seat the bead before removal and seat the other side. 20 mins per tyre.

Gordon

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I didn't have any trouble with the Schwalbe tyres.
Remove your valve core for the initial inflation as it lets lots of air in fast to seat the tyres. If necessary waaaaay over inflate them to make sure they have popped in everywhere. ( I put ear muffs and safety goggles on ... just in case. I know, I'm a wissy.)

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Try this fella
About £50
Stress free tubeless inflation

Airshot-Tubeless-Inflation-System.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had all the usual problems with inflating tubeless tyres. It was a useful learning experience, but I wish I didn't have to have gone through it. The compressor at my local garage (20 pence for about 5 mins) could deliver the pressure, but not the flow to bang the beads onto the rims. My LBS had a high flow compressor (bigger reservoir I believe) and the tyres went straight up. I never managed to inflate a tubeless tyre from new with either a hand pump or a track pump. (All Maxxis or Continental tyres).

Then I bought an Airshot (like StuR @ post #9). WOW! what a revelation, instant bang. 100% recommended. Highly satisfying, big smile time. :love:

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Did both my Giant emtbs tubeless in 15 mins each bike.. wheels off, tubes out valves in, tyres on... latex in thru valves and track pump jobs a good un!!

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I never managed to inflate a tubeless tyre from new with either a hand pump or a track pump. (All Maxxis or Continental tyres).

Then I bought an Airshot (like StuR @ post #9). WOW! what a revelation, instant bang. 100% recommended. Highly satisfying, big smile time. :love:

I once was able to with a Birzman Fatty floor pump - but it's a really high volume pump that only goes up to 25psi. But yeah, floor pumps mostly don't work from my experience. At least i haven't had much luck...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a 12v tyre compressor that's OK if you've only popped the bead to add sealant. I also have a spray compressor with a big reservoir that does the job easily.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
it's easier if you do, yes. Didn't need to with the schraeder adaptor and compressor, but if the volume of air you're shifting is compromised, it helps......

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
16g co2 cartridges were the go for me. Bead it up, make sure you're happy (no leaks) remove valve core and inject the sealant.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Use the money for the airshot, on cushcore instead :)

CC holds the beads out against the rim bead. Just as easy to inflate as with a tube.
And no, CC isnt hard to install at all, if you just watch theire own install video.
I installed both, including going from tube to tubeless, in about 45min including on/off bike.
This is on a 27,5+ (2,8) though.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Do you find a noticeable difference? just viewed their website, and whilst it's slick, 2 riders and 2 runs to provide all the data is not particularly scientific or reliable (though some credit is due for at least some attempts at analysis).

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Do you find a noticeable difference? just viewed their website, and whilst it's slick, 2 riders and 2 runs to provide all the data is not particularly scientific or reliable (though some credit is due for at least some attempts at analysis).

I run 14psi front, 16 rear now on 27,5x2.8, and believe i can lower even more for traction on loose surfaces.
Seems like suspension rides alittlebit higher, and combined with the lower tire pressure i can tell theres much less shatter through the bars.

Not tested hard through rock gardens etc yet, but theres plenty videos on YT showing the superior rim protection they provide.

Expensive, but so far i feel it's worth it!

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
I went tubeless on the butchers that came with the levo, took all but 30 minutes. Just removed the tube, added the valves, inflated the tyre, took out the valve core, added sealant using a syringe, inflated - done.

Thinking about going tubeless on my levo when i get it, did you use a kit (tape sealant valves?) Any reccomendation?

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Thinking about going tubeless on my levo when i get it, did you use a kit (tape sealant valves?) Any reccomendation?
The tape will be already installed on the rims. You will also get a pair of valves with your bike. All you need is sealant and a track-pump or air compressor. You can as well ask your LBS to help you with conversion.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Just check if the tape is installed correctly. Mine came with a part of the rim where the tape was folded. But otherwise, a simple procedure.

I've since upgraded to the eddy current tyres. Same story, pop on the tyre, inflate, wait for the tyre to pop (you'll hear it) into place, deflate, add sealant through the valve with a syringe or small flask, inflate and ride. (The ride part needs to be done immediately after adding the sealant)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles