Going Tubeless lesson learnt.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Ok, no big deal, after 1700 miles on the old nobby nic which incidentally still had a fair bit of life left in it I decided to go tubeless, the original rear tire is not tubeless ready so I purchased the equivalent TLR tire.
Rim tape check/ tubeless valve check/ new tire at the ready.

Holy shit what a mess. it became very apparent after about 2 hrs 2 things needs to happen before attempting this job. Number one. Do not apply sealant in the tire before 1st sealing the beads. Under no circumstances try this job without a pump that has a discharge cylinder to inflate the tire . Number one actually dictates fill the tire up with a syringe for your own sanity.
I've ordered a front maxis that should be hear soon, strangely enough I am actually looking forward to fitting this with my new found wisdom and discharge air canister :)
Things look so easy on YouTube but the reality and lack of wisdom can be very messy :confused:
On a side note the bike actually feels very different, its either a placebo effect or going tubeless has had a noticeable difference in ride quality for the better, albeit a new tire is always going to feel good, looking forward to the front change.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've gone tubeless on a new set of tyres set up on spare rims, I hadn't intended to but I forgot to buy tubes :rolleyes: but had a tubeless kit that I bought ages ago.

Rims were already taped so I put tyre on, inflated without sealant, deflated again and put the sealant in through the valve. Pumped back up via track pump and both seated and pretty much sealed first time. The only mess was me knocking the bottle of sealant over :p

Either I'm ace or just lucky... :unsure:

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Having an air compressor at your disposal helps a lot.
A little trick: put a lashing strap over the tire thread and tension it a bit. That way the tire beads will seat more easily and faster.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
My recent attempt is still a disaster. Pre taped rims still leaking after three days. They’ve got enough Stans in to take a bath.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I've gone tubeless on a new set of tyres set up on spare rims, I hadn't intended to but I forgot to buy tubes :rolleyes: but had a tubeless kit that I bought ages ago.

Rims were already taped so I put tyre on, inflated without sealant, deflated again and put the sealant in through the valve. Pumped back up via track pump and both seated and pretty much sealed first time. The only mess was me knocking the bottle of sealant over :p

Either I'm ace or just lucky... :unsure:
....and there you have probably highlighted the most stupid design aspect of tubeless kit....the design of tubeless sealant bottles...well at least Stans. I use a syringe with a short length of tubing on it to extract the sealant from the bottle and it is so easy to knock the bottle over...especially the bigger sized one. I have now following a miscellaneous delivery made use of a block of polystyrene into which I have cut the shape of the bottle. So the bottle fits into the block and cannot be knocked over!!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Ok, no big deal, after 1700 miles on the old nobby nic which incidentally still had a fair bit of life left in it I decided to go tubeless, the original rear tire is not tubeless ready so I purchased the equivalent TLR tire.

Holy shit what a mess. it became very apparent after about 2 hrs 2 things needs to happen before attempting this job. Number one. Do not apply sealant in the tire before 1st sealing the beads. Under no circumstances try this job without a pump that has a discharge cylinder to inflate the tire . Number one actually dictates fill the tire up with a syringe for your own sanity.
I've ordered a front maxis that should be hear soon, strangely enough I am actually looking forward to fitting this with my new found wisdom and discharge air canister :)
Things look so easy on YouTube but the reality and lack of wisdom can be very messy :confused:
On a side note the bike actually feels very different, its either a placebo effect or going tubeless has had a noticeable difference in ride quality for the better, albeit a new tire is always going to feel good, looking forward to the front change.
I always make tire seated in the rim bead before puting in the sealant. Here is how I do it: put the tire on a rim, lubricate both sides of tire beads with a soapy water, remove the valve core and pump it up with Co2 cartridge (I dont have compressor or pump with booster) to make tire seated. Release the air out and put sealant in with a syringe throug the valve, put the valve core back in and pump it up with a regular bike pump to about 40psi, spin the wheel in all directions and youre good to go. No real mess made.

LukehM

Jun 9, 2020
SK3
I bought 2 new Maxxis Tyres and set up the tubeless without too much hassle, my first time doing it as well. Used a normal stand pump and still managed to get my tyres to pop into rim. Only issue I faced was the valve needed tightening so just bought a valve tool.

To prevent any mess with the sealant, my tip is to get to the point where you’ve nearly got your whole tyre on, and stop when you’ve got about 6 inches left of the tyre to push into the rim, push a syringe into the gap and put your sealant in, and then finish the tyre.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Always put my sealant straight in the tyre, rebead, half a cup of water a really good squirt of fairy, use a pastry brush and soap up both beads, take core out and i use track pump, go slow and get bubbles forming then pump fast until seated, remove pump, replace core and set pressures.
Ease of going tubeless.
1. Without question I found Michelin e-wilds the easiest, followed by
2. Maxxis
3. Schwalbe these were a bit of a pig that required more bubbles! These were the slackest tyres on my dt 1500 rims

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Sorry for you then, but it should.
Do the math: less volume to fill = faster.
Old trick I learned from a Pro years ago, never had any issues since.
sure, the problem was it did nothing to help the beads sit in the right place. Compressor didn't help either. I eventually got it with just the track pump :oops:. I'm not sure it's less volume, just a different shape (like an M). My understanding is that it is meant to help sit the beads into the rim. It's a trick that came from off road vehicles. Never seen it done on a bike (or motor bike). For motorbikes (dakar rally etc), a bit of fuel in the tyre and ignite it. If you get it right it's instant.

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have one set of rims where even a discharge pump won't get a tyre onto the bead. Use the old trick of seating with a tube and then popping one side of the bead to remove tube and add valve and sealant. That works every time.

With my other rims it's a doodle. Sealant before or after seating doesn't matter. It's just the one set that are stubborn.

Gordon

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I bought 2 new Maxxis Tyres and set up the tubeless without too much hassle, my first time doing it as well. Used a normal stand pump and still managed to get my tyres to pop into rim. Only issue I faced was the valve needed tightening so just bought a valve tool.

To prevent any mess with the sealant, my tip is to get to the point where you’ve nearly got your whole tyre on, and stop when you’ve got about 6 inches left of the tyre to push into the rim, push a syringe into the gap and put your sealant in, and then finish the tyre.

I used the 3 euro kitchen measuring cup to pour the sealant. Just have to remember turn the wheel before pushing rest of the tire into rim.

The grey part is the cushcore insert.
20200714_142544488_iOS_copu.jpg

I also bought a jumbosize syringe from local automotive store Biltema as I thought it would be handy to push the sealant or get the sealant out of the tire when changing tires. This was never needed as there was not much free sealant flowing in the tire when I had to do the first tire change. 3 euro kitchen hardware did the job. The blue bottle is some random textile shampoo for car interior - used it as lube for the tire.

20200621_153459943_iOS_copy.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use the cap from my TF2 aerosol lube spray to scoop out the old sealant from the tyre. Fits perfectly and holds a lot. Nice fat base to stand it securely to one side before tipping back into the next tyre.

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England

Never had an issue. Always been really easy. Even have done two tyres (new ones) with a Joe Blow track pump. Now have a Giant inflator so I can reuse tyres. I always put sealant in just before the tyre is fully out on. No mess, no bother.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
was it a high volume or high pressure pump?
I've got a small compressor that I had 80psi in the tank - that didn't work. What did work, and what I've used in the past, is a joe blow floor pump. The tyre was one that I was swapping back on, and the beads must have narrowed in a bit while it was lying down on it's side. I haven't had any trouble with new maxxis tyres. I just pushed it down in a few places where it looked worse and it eventually pumped up. So I think getting the beads closer to the rim seems to be more important than using a compressor etc.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Never had an issue. Always been really easy. Even have done two tyres (new ones) with a Joe Blow track pump. Now have a Giant inflator so I can reuse tyres. I always put sealant in just before the tyre is fully out on. No mess, no bother.
I had a Giant air tank....lasted 3 tyres before it fell to pieces...hopefully yours proves more reliable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles