Going Tubeless

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
OK, I now have everything to start my conversion from tubed to tubeless.
im fueled up on bacon buttys, its raining outside so no excuses and going for a ride ;) , The missus has gone out for the day,
Bike is clean and indoors in the warm, wheels are off the bike and I have tire sealent, Rim tape, and valves ,,,,,, Hang on a minute,,,,,,, where is my track pump and tire levers,,,:poop:,,, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
In the car with the missus :censored:

to be continued,,,

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
OK, I now have everything to start my conversion from tubed to tubeless.
im fueled up on bacon buttys, its raining outside so no excuses and going for a ride ;) , The missus has gone out for the day,
Bike is clean and indoors in the warm, wheels are off the bike and I have tire sealent, Rim tape, and valves ,,,,,, Hang on a minute,,,,,,, where is my track pump and tire levers,,,:poop:,,, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
In the car with the missus :censored:

to be continued,,,
Do you have a tubeless inflator? Trying to go tubeless without this is hard work....

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
Do you have a tubeless inflator? Trying to go tubeless without this is hard work....

No I dont but I do have CO2 cartriges that I normally carry on my motorbike but failing that I will take the wheels to work tomorrow for the compressor

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
Compressor will do it, not too sure if canisters will though

ive seen some youtube lessons that say you can use them, but ive also seen somewhere that CO2 can react with the tire sealant.

the missus came home early and ive made a start, the rear one went on without a fuss, just needed to take the valve out first to get enough air flowing in quickly enough till I heard thar wonderfull pop sound as the bead popped into place and my pampers filled :poop::poop::poop:o_O:ROFLMAO:

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
OK, quick update,
Both wheels are done and relatively low stress levels on my part.The front Nobby Nic seems to holding pressure, but the rear Hans Dampf is losing pressure but I have noticed that the rear tire is buggered, I seem to have ripped 90% of the nobbles about 3/4 of the way through and some of them just hanging on but only on the right hand side. I know I push it a bit hard on the downhills but am I really pushing too hard?
I think a new tire before I go out again, maybe a Magic Mary or should I Match the front with a Nobby Nic?

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
Final update:
Now got new MM tire fitted (rear) NN (front) both tubeless, and both holding air pressure.
Any body considering going tubeless, don't worry about it, watch a few youtube clips and take the plunge its easy.
Put the NN on the back and stick a Mary on the front.
I decided to use the MM on rear and try it out for a few outings, I can always swap over if it doesn't feel right.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I decided to use the MM on rear and try it out for a few outings, I can always swap over if it doesn't feel right.
:eek: Good luck with that, I hope you're not intending on turning many corners... :D

Reactions: Ade

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
Final update:
Now got new MM tire fitted (rear) NN (front) both tubeless, and both holding air pressure.
Any body considering going tubeless, don't worry about it, watch a few youtube clips and take the plunge its easy.

alright dude,

you always want to run the grippier tyre on the front, you will find the rear always follows the front on a decent and if it steps out it is easily corrected, whereas with your current set up it is more prone to the front washing out, which 99.9% of the time cannot be corrected and ends up with you on your face :ROFLMAO:

Also having MM on the rear will increase drag and swapping over to the front with the NN will reduce this. This is due to most of your weight being on the back tyre in most riding conditions and the MM has a much more aggressive Tred pattern.

hope this helps dude

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
It appears I may have made the wrong decision.
I will swap them over before I go out at the weekend
Also having MM on the rear will increase drag and swapping over to the front with the NN will reduce this. This is due to most of your weight being on the back tyre in most riding conditions and the MM has a much more aggressive Tred pattern.

hope this helps dude
Not worried by the extra drag as I only generally use 50% battery per outing

it is more prone to the front washing out, which 99.9% of the time cannot be corrected and ends up with you on your face :ROFLMAO:

This however I dont want to put to the test :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles