Tyre inserts/foams

gazz

Oct 1, 2018
north wales
i have made my own,15mm pipe insulation,cut in half ,wrap with insulating tape every inch,it will take two lengths ,fix together with a zip tie,measure and cut to length connect with second zip tie ,and place in tyer,easy fit,cost £2,works will,i added stans sealent,i have tested this by running no preasure on grass ,fantastic

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
i have made my own,15mm pipe insulation,cut in half ,wrap with insulating tape every inch,it will take two lengths ,fix together with a zip tie,measure and cut to length connect with second zip tie ,and place in tyer,easy fit,cost £2,works will,i added stans sealent,i have tested this by running no preasure on grass ,fantastic
Ghetto tech - I salute your ingenuity ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Very resourceful.
What do you mean by cut in half?

gazz

Oct 1, 2018
north wales
cut it length ways down the middle,there is a slot for the pipe use this slot to make the cut lengthways,i found it too big to fit inti a 2.6 butchers tyer and so i used the tape to make the foam narrower ,it then fits easy,the stans sealent doesnot soak into the foam

RRebikes

Jan 4, 2019
Norway
there is 3-4 people around here including me, that use this insert, works very well and the price is low.
riped a hole on the side wall of my tire, and rode almost 100 meter without any air inside, and rim was not in touch with the ground
Barbieri Anaconda 27,5

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
cut it length ways down the middle,there is a slot for the pipe use this slot to make the cut lengthways,i found it too big to fit inti a 2.6 butchers tyer and so i used the tape to make the foam narrower ,it then fits easy,the stans sealent doesnot soak into the foam

So that you have two semi-circle cross section lengths of pipe insulation? I assume that you put the open side into the rim and not the other way around? Does it even matter?
These may seem dumb questions, but I've never seen a foam insert so I have no picture in my head to help me interpret what you write.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
The foam insert material needs to be a high density Closed-cell polymer. Hot water pipe insulation will be low density because more air volume means better thermal efficiency.

CushCore, Vittoria Air-Liner, etc. use a Closed-cell polymer and are therefore expensive. IMHO: the cheap options are rubbish.

IMHO: CushCore is the superior design; it really holds tyre hard against rim (to prevent burping), provides similar sidewall support (for running lower tyre pressures) and retains more tyre air volume so that the tyre can work as designed (conforming to shape ground for maximum grip).

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Been using rat bites for a year now , well proven , cheapest lightest and for me so far 100% effective . They allow me to run a much lighter rear tyre , when I changed my tyre a while ago it was obvious they had saved my rear tyre at least 7 times

50E4BCEE-6236-4623-9665-64FEEF55086F.jpeg

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk

I like to see some pictures of your setup next time you have them off..
Cheers..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles